collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21136 times)

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2021, 01:42:38 AM »
Would love to see Watkins go on a goal scoring run. Just needs a bit of luck, be great to see him get to 20 for the season

Offline Damo70

« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2021, 02:12:19 AM »
I have just  seen on SKY that the protest banners are up outside St. James Park. I thought Steve Bruce looked absolutely shot in his post match interviews. It was tough to watch.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:31 AM »
Maybe our worst performance in months and we won without conceding one chance. Obviously Bruceball is partly responsible for that, as we know better than most, but it was still as comprehensive a defensive display as we've put in in...actually in not that long. How good are we defensively!?

Agreed, Monty. Our central defence was tested numerous time, far too many considering how poor Newcastle were but we stood strong. Was I the only one that didn't mind Mings knocking the ball out for a throw-in rather than try and play it out from the back? Job done.
thought the exact same when it happened. Kick it into touch lad! Mings and Konsa were very good today. The whole back line were

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2021, 07:34:29 AM »
Was worried about this one.

Not just because Newcastle are bollocks and it's traditionally the kind of game we make a hames of.

But also because of the recent poxy decisions we've been on the end of. That can have an accumulative effect, and even if there were a few harsh losses in there, a losing run can soon take on a momentum of its own.

But there wasn't any real nervousness about our play at all - even if we were a fair way short of our best.

This could be like O'Dreay's first season; get to the 40 point mark far sooner than expected and kick on in the second half of the season.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2021, 07:37:03 AM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.
So what was Jack sulking about?

I think it’s as much his desire to play all the time as apparently some streak of games he’s played for the full 90.

Maybe his bonus is contingent on completing the 90 mins.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »
I can’t see the what fuss is surrounding Jack. He just wants to play football and has a huge desire to do so. Even though he was completely at the races last night he still created our best chances and also works so hard helping Taggart. What a player.

Overall we didn’t have to change gear and defended those long ball very well. Konsa and Mings were superb again and our full backs are bloody awesome. Big shout out to Marvelous. Super game.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »
I do not think we will play a team that presses less. Burnley will be a much stiffer test but we look a very good team. We have gone toe to toe with the 2 manc teams and we all know what happened. This team could become a real force next season and has a shot at Top 6 with a bit of luck and some fair refereeing.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.
this is absolutely correct. Why are people having trouble understanding this it is clear in black and white. No need for interpretation or further clarification.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.
this is absolutely correct. Why are people having trouble understanding this it is clear in black and white. No need for interpretation or further clarification.

It absolutely isn't.

The only reason that Newcastle defender desperately threw himself at the cross was because he knew Ollie was behind him. If that's not interfering with play we might as well as go home.

The actual fact was Ollie just wasn't offside, at all, because he was behind the ball when it was played. It's pretty much the most basic element of the offside rule.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2021, 08:27:37 AM »
Wrong. MOTD put up the lines and Ollie was fractionally offside initially but I refer you to law 11 from that point onwards.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2021, 08:28:57 AM »
Routine win of the kind I haven't experienced in years, no stress at all. Even if they'd have spawned one we looked like we had numerous gears to go through.

Thought Konsa was head and shoulders above anyone else on the field, reminded me of Des Walker from yesteryear. I also thought Traore was excellent, a real talent when we have the ball.

Online baddowvillans

« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2021, 08:35:47 AM »

That’s what VAR said. No need to check the offside because the defender deliberately played the ball.
[/quote]

It feels like that's been the stance because "you can't moan now you've benefitted from it". The difference is if they'd drawn the lines it wasn't offside anyway because he was behind the ball where as everyone knows Rodri was miles offside.
[/quote]

The two scenarios are completely different though.  Oli did not come from an offside position to put pressure on an opponent, but hey we know they'll massage to the narrative to get the outcome they want.  All in all it was a professional job done - woukd have liked more goals but I'll take a 2 - 0 win every game.

Online baddowvillans

« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »
"this is absolutely correct. Why are people having trouble understanding this it is clear in black and white. No need for interpretation or further clarification."

Because they want to show how fickle Villa fans are, always moaning, and because we won't believe the PGMOL tell us.  The number of times I have heard "read the rule idiot, he's onside as soon as Mings touches it" completely ignoring the other rule which says the player in an offside position cannot challenge or put pressure on an opponent.  That is the earlier offence and if the refs really believe that that can be reset then that rule needs changing because it ridiculous and so unlike last nights scenario

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2021, 08:56:20 AM »
Why people believe a brainless idiot like robbie savage rather than look up the rule for themselves is beyond me. Then they try to tell everyone a so called fact because savage said it is. Bizare

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
I don’t care if he was offside or not. It favoured us. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal