collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21349 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2021, 12:16:54 AM »
Great sign of the team spirit.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2021, 12:26:20 AM »
Match of the Day making a complete horlicks of Ollie's goal tonight.

Ollie was onside because he was behind the ball when it was played.

They're trying to make out we've benefited from the same rule we were robbed on against Man City when it's got nothing to do with it!

That’s what VAR said. No need to check the offside because the defender deliberately played the ball.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:57 AM »

They're trying to make out we've benefited from the same rule we were robbed on against Man City when it's got nothing to do with it!

That’s what VAR said. No need to check the offside because the defender deliberately played the ball.

It feels like that's been the stance because "you can't moan now you've benefitted from it". The difference is if they'd drawn the lines it wasn't offside anyway because he was behind the ball where as everyone knows Rodri was miles offside.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2021, 12:35:10 AM »
Out of curiosity, who was captain at the end? Forgot to check. Would guess Mings.

Yeah it was Mings.

Thanks. 🙂

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2021, 12:37:15 AM »

It feels like that's been the stance because "you can't moan now you've benefitted from it". The difference is if they'd drawn the lines it wasn't offside anyway because he was behind the ball where as everyone knows Rodri was miles offside.

Anybody that thinks the two incidents are even remotely similar is, frankly, a twat.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2021, 12:55:35 AM »

Yep Paul, boxed away nicely now in the eyes of officialdom.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2021, 01:01:32 AM »
Maybe our worst performance in months and we won without conceding one chance. Obviously Bruceball is partly responsible for that, as we know better than most, but it was still as comprehensive a defensive display as we've put in in...actually in not that long. How good are we defensively!?

Agreed, Monty. Our central defence was tested numerous time, far too many considering how poor Newcastle were but we stood strong. Was I the only one that didn't mind Mings knocking the ball out for a throw-in rather than try and play it out from the back? Job done.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.
So what was Jack sulking about?

Because he needed to do more to try to appease Footy-Vil.

He may have been more unhappy with his performance than being taken off

I imagine he gives himself pretty high standards and wanted to score

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:12 AM »

Anybody that thinks the two incidents are even remotely similar is, frankly, a twat.

The relevant point - that the defender’s touch played Watkins onside even if (hypothetically) he’d been ten yards off - is the same.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:22 AM »
Bearing in mind the effort the players put in v Citeh, I think they did enough to win the match tonight without over exerting themselves. They know they have a lot of matches coming up so, the way they played was the right thing. However, will need a bit more energy v Burnley and Soton but, see no reason why we cannot get at least 4 points from these 2 upcoming games.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2021, 01:11:06 AM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.
So what was Jack sulking about?

I think it’s as much his desire to play all the time as apparently some streak of games he’s played for the full 90.

It may have something to do with Jack being at his best for the last 10-15 minutes in games. He seems to take it up another level or 3. I'm still struggling to understand what he was doing tonight; playing so deep Targett replaced him on the left then switching over to the right wing - players seemed to be as confused as me as to where he'd disappeared to.

I'm all for giving him the freedom of Villa Park providing we keep our shape. He's a great lad with immense talent but let's not sacrifice the team for the Jack Show. He thrives on freedom and discipline.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:23 AM »
I dont think Grealish should ever be subbed. it's like brazil subbing pele, you dont do it...unless he's got a hatrick and you want to give him the standing ovation from the fans, however in an empty stadium? in front of the TV I was as incredulous as Jack.

Traore took his time to win me over but is a magnificent talent reminds me of berbatov, strolling round flicks and mad skills.
It was easy work tonight, the swagger we had passing out from the back was amazing though I don't even think we got out of 3rd gear, some of our football is pure silk. It's just sods law after watching years of dog shit we finally start playing and winning with panache, the fans arn't allowed in the stadium to witness.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:15 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2021, 01:34:50 AM »
We have come such a long way as to discuss we had an easy win in freezing shit conditions against Newcastle.

We weren’t great in any way compared to other games this season.

But we did the business.

When super JMG and Barkley get there shit together - we are going to do damage

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2021, 01:41:07 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.

But he was level / behind the ball played in so was onside initially. Everything else doesn't matter. And if MOTD were so adamant about showing the offside "rule" working in our favour, why didn't they question the one given against Cheltenham when Citeh's own player played it back to another defender and the attacker was adjudged to be offside.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal