collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21131 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:44 PM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.
So what was Jack sulking about?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:47 PM »
I think we will stay up this season.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:34 PM »
Well I'm on the Dougie bus.He's on the verge of greatness and I guarantee within two years he'll be world class.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.

He didn’t want to come off. But I imagine now he probably knows it was a half decent decision. 

Offline exigo

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »
I think we will stay up this season.

We could, arguably should, be safe by the end of January. That's a hell of a step up from last season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2021, 10:43:48 PM »

He's a born winner and wanted to exert maximum misery on the opposition.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:09 PM »
So what was Jack sulking about?n

He didn’t want to come off. But I imagine now he probably knows it was a half decent decision. 

He'll realise his manager was right when he's still prancing around like a racehorse in the 90+ minute on Wednesday night.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:24 PM »
A great 3 points and clean sheet without needing to up our game.
Emi is a great footballing goalkeeper. He's like a sweeper. His touches by foot must far outnumber his handling touches.
Ezri had wilson in his pocket (would anybody swop Ollie for wilson? Thought not). Targett is playing fantastic but for me Marvellous was motm tonight (flawless).
Pleased that Ollie got his goal and his workrate is 2nd to none. If Barkley is to play off Ollie he could do with watching how Ollie works. Barkley's pressing is weak.
Traore played well though I'm not sure about his volleys cross field or towards his own goal from throw-ins.
What a comfortable win. 2nd half it just looked like they were playing for a 2-0 loss, they were that negative...typical bruce.
I thought carroll should have had a red for his studs up rake down Nakamba's calf.
We've waited 10+ years for a team like this and the results to go with it and I'm enjoying it very much! UTV!

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2021, 10:45:14 PM »
Jack just hated coming off. I love that desire

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

Really? We did win 2-0 under no pressure from the opposition.

I think that's says more about the opposition tonight. 2-0 win not not be sniffed at of course but Newcastle could have been annihilated tonight if we were on it second half. Midfield was the problem area I thought, Watkins had the easy beating of their CBs and our defence had it very easy.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2021, 10:45:25 PM »
So what was Jack sulking about?n

He'll realise his manager was right when he's still prancing around like a racehorse in the 90+ minute on Wednesday night.

Wish my gaffer would take me off most way through a day of work to protect me for the next day

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »
As routine as they get, we looked in complete control throughout. Fair play to Nakamba, I’d have picked Ramsey but he came in and had a very tidy game. Glad Watkins got a goal, that’ll do him the world of good.

As many wins now than in the entirety of last season and only Man City (I think) have more clean sheets. Progress indeed.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
Crikey Brontebilly are you ever happy? Your a very hard one to please!

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:11 PM »
Jack just hated coming off. I love that desire

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

Close to what I would give but I’d give Traore a 7. His goal was good and he did track back a lot more than previous games, but then again, Newcastle were hardly Man City

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2021, 10:49:38 PM »
It was the sort of routine win that we used to gift to teams in the seasons before we went down.

Konsa had a really good composed game again and the defence looked comfortable.

Interesting in the post-match interview that Smith was feigning ignorance about Sanson, almost indicating he's not really his signing, but as long as he can get him to play...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal