collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 06:43:59 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:41:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mister E
[Today at 06:38:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 06:37:29 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 06:36:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by villadelph
[Today at 06:36:10 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by paul_e
[Today at 06:19:13 PM]

Re: Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by Legion
[Today at 06:17:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21446 times)

Offline Flamingo Lane

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2021, 10:25:54 PM »
Jack just hated coming off. I love that desire

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

I didn't think anybody could find a negative im the most straight forward victory since football began. Hats off.

To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2021, 10:26:27 PM »
A proper top 6 performance. Jump to a 2-0 lead, then just manage it to the end against a team who were nowhere near the same standard.

Comes to something when Mings is probably the most vulnerable / susceptible to being replaced in defence as Targett, Konsa and Cash and becoming consistently excellent. Though I wonder how much the improvement in defence is a function of Martinez' arrival.

I'll go against TV and say that I thought Bert was utter shit apart from his goal. Can hardly remember a pass he made, but can remember plenty of moves he broke down / fucked up.

Rest of the midfield / attack good without being great. AEG and Trez pretty limited, Ramsey looked tidy and put in a lovely pass to set *can't remember* away down the left right at the death.

Decent chance at a good run now, not much to fear from the upcoming fixtures.

edit : "While you were typing, 36 new replies..." Seems folks are very upbeat !
You thought Bert was utter shit apart from his goal? Fucking hell you're a hard one to please. They just highlighted him on Sky Redknapp an Darren Bent saying just how fantastic he was tonight and how he could well turn out to be our best signing this season.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »
Steve Bruce will  retire with £10m plus in the bank. Genius! 0

Offline Damo70

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »
That was probably the easiest three points we will get all seaason, Traore is getting better by the game.

I think Traore is our wildcard. At times he will frustrate us and at times he will dazzle us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 10:28:16 PM »
We are on MOTD after all the cup matches have been shown.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »
Looks like Steve Bruce had swapped the old “sit back, get the ball to Snoddy and hope for a bit of magic” to “sit back and try and get the ball in the air to a washed up Andy Carroll”.

Newcastle were a rabble. Kind of game and run that should prompt a change of manager. Shelvey walking around pitch, washed up Carroll, two nothing players at full back.

Surely at half time Bruce should be making wholesale changes. Instead he waits until after an hour. Dwight Gayle who has scored loads against us only getting ten minutes. They remind me if us in the bad McLeish/Lambert days....circling the relegation drain hoping for three worse teams.

This season luckily for them there probably are, just.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2021, 10:29:32 PM »

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

Really? We did win 2-0 under no pressure from the opposition.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.

100% this.

Online Legion

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »

100% this.

Yes.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »

A 'hard watch'?  We've spent the last 10 years being shit, with shit players, hoofing the ball up field and more often than not losing.

If watching Villa cruise a win over a team who last season were well above us, completely in control, occasionally thowing in some cracking little pieces of skill, having the commentators praising us and never looking like conceding is a hard watch, then I hope for plenty more hard watches over the next few years because I bloody loved it.
Amen. We are witnessing the best Villa team in a long time who play some amazing football yet we have fans who just look for negatives? I just don't understand some of our fans.

Online Legion

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:41 PM »
Agreed.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:17 PM »
That was probably the easiest three points we will get all seaason, Traore is getting better by the game.

I think Traore is our wildcard. At times he will frustrate us and at times he will dazzle us.

Nah, eventually he'll be dazzling every single game. And by 'eventually' I mean 'soon'.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »
Classic routine home win. But we were a bit half arsed and could and should have gone for 4 or 5.

Still Ollie got a long deserved and overdue goal,  Nakamba meant we didn't miss SJM, Targett continues to be a revelation compared to last year, but my two favourites are:

Traore - ok dodgy in chasing back and gives it away cheaply at times -  but sublime touch reminiscent of Ginola in his his prime and scored a cracker with his right/wrong foot. Just  joy to watch and, like Barkley,  takes pressure off Jack.

And Konsa - this guy is rapidly approaching McGrath/God class. He made an error tonight and lost possession - notable only in that it's the first one I can remember from him. An absolute Rolls-Royce of a CB.  Surely Southgate has got to take note. 

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:40 PM »
Both Mings and Konsa were back in it today. Mings from the start, I only really noticed Konsa coming under pressure in the 2nd half. Cash and Targett also never in question defensively today. Martinez is the defensive glue though. Didn’t have too much to do tonight, but just looks so confident and assured. I still have my heart in my mouth at times the way we’ll pass sideways or tight at the back, but it seems to be working a lot better now. The 3 or 4 times we had to resort to hoofing, it was intercepted and came straight back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal