collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21130 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:38 PM »
Dean Smith confirms Jack Grealish "had a tight hamstring" and the boss took him off knowing he's on four yellow cards. He was pleased with the clean sheet tonight; says his players over-played in the second half. Refused to comment on Morgan Sanson's impending arrival.
So what was Jack sulking about?

I think it’s as much his desire to play all the time as apparently some streak of games he’s played for the full 90.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2021, 11:20:46 PM »
To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.
Being unhappy is a fine thing being almost petulant and going on about it for 5 minutes is not. Jack is captain he had done his job so after being subbed at 10 minutes to go I don't understand his grumpiness.

Does it really matter?
Yes to me. I expect better from our captain especially in the prevailing situation.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22:04 PM »
Maybe our worst performance in months and we won without conceding one chance. Obviously Bruceball is partly responsible for that, as we know better than most, but it was still as comprehensive a defensive display as we've put in in...actually in not that long. How good are we defensively!?

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2021, 11:23:29 PM »
As Ads pointed out we missed McGinn's zip,Dougie and Barkldy were a bit pedestrian.Marvellous lived up to his name and the defence,especially Konsa were immense.Mings,I thought,kept it simple.
Above all we are brilliant to watch.Made up for me missing a double bill of 'Spiral'.Paris can't compete with B6.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
About as routine as routine could get.

Negatives

We didn't go for the throat. If anything I think the insane amount of space and time they gave us slowed us down, when we needed to quicken the play. Part of that is Barkley being rusty.

Didn't feel without McGinn we turned over the ball as well in the final third so we were longer in our transitions to get Jack involved.

Bloody Mings. Do the simple things.

Positives

Easiest game of the season.

Delighted for Ollie as he works so hard, thought he was behind the ball for the goal anyway.

Konsa is immense, Mings is too when he doesn't think too much and our full backs are top draw.

Marv did well and shows he can cover for Dougie. His distribution was fine, albeit never under any pressure.

Felt we lacked a little bit of zip that McGinn brings and hopefully Morgan will add too.

Very pleasing to watch aren't we?
Definitely. They are a joy to watch at times.
Although some of our fans found tonight was a tough watch apparently. I suppose anything less than Brazil circa1970 every game just isn't good enough for some. Each to their own I guess but people have such short memories. We've been served some utter dross in the last 10 years you'd think they would just enjoy the ride while they can?
One fan.One.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:22 PM »
A couple. A few.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »
This might sound odd but if Newcastle were a legitimate opponent who posed any real threat we’d have battered them tonight. I agree with the manager’s post game comments that we overplayed in the second half. It felt like we could have gone to a higher gear at any point. And we could and should have scored 2 or 3 more but for some poor finishing and a good save at the end. We did what we did without having to expend any more effort than needed. We have tougher games ahead starting vs Burnley who will be a little more confident following their win vs Liverpool.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:57 PM »
5 minutes? Where do you get that from?
Not sure if you watched it live but it started on the pitch, he totally ignored Jacob coming on, sat down  and kept shaking his  head and a little while later camera panned to him after a break in play and he was still shaking his head.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2021, 11:28:11 PM »
We are a joy to watch. It’s genuinely exciting to watch Villa play - we won’t win every game, but it feels like we can beat anyone.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, who was captain at the end? Forgot to check. Would guess Mings.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:07 PM »
To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.
Being unhappy is a fine thing being almost petulant and going on about it for 5 minutes is not. Jack is captain he had done his job so after being subbed at 10 minutes to go I don't understand his grumpiness.

Does it really matter?
Yes to me. I expect better from our captain especially in the prevailing situation.

Good for you. On yet another night when we prove how good we are I'm not going to moan about some perceived impropriety from the most unfairly-maligned player in the country.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:00 PM »
Exactly.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2021, 11:33:03 PM »
I cant remember the last time I enjoyed watching us play in the prem as I have done this season and I cant be bloody there.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2021, 11:33:38 PM »
Fair enough. Each to his own.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
Match of the Day making a complete horlicks of Ollie's goal tonight.

Ollie was onside because he was behind the ball when it was played.

They're trying to make out we've benefited from the same rule we were robbed on against Man City when it's got nothing to do with it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal