collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:07:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 04:07:07 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:06:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:05:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:05:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 04:00:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 04:00:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21444 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »
Win the next two and we have reached last seasons points tally half way through the season.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:55:16 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
I thought Traoré worked hard tonight. There's clearly been some coaching going on to that effect, as I watched him sprint back when we lost possession on plenty of occasions.

I really like him. Actually, I like all of our players. Smith made some comments some time ago about bringing in players with the right attitude, and it seems to be paying off. They all run their socks off for each other, and it's a joy to watch.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2021, 10:55:48 PM »
To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.

Not really.  As the captain, coming off with 5 minutes left with the game pretty much won, it wouldn't take too much to be seen to be giving a bit of encouragement to the young lad coming on to replace you.
He had a run of playing every minute for 42 games in the prem,  clearly that's why

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2021, 10:55:53 PM »
Sound familiar?

essembeeofsunderland
essembeeofsunderland  362
Posted 7 minutes ago
Him and his pals in the press have been banging on about The Saint and TOT being missed,our two best players they reckon.He’s now saying the reason we are shit is because we have three of four players missing.How many defenders is he going to play if all our defenders are fit? He bought Lewis,he gave Manquillo a new contract,he’s just given Clark a new contract and he has Captain Cowardice available for selection.Clark and Dummitt are the only real defenders we have.He complains about injuries,he gets his blue chip players back from injury,then he complains about the other injured players.It sounded like Redknapp was going to be the first pundit to slate him but it ended up with him blaming Ashley,Rafa and no takeover.

Online Baldy

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2021, 10:58:56 PM »
Very professional performance.

If we needed to score 5 we would have. With a busy schedule ahead it was important to keep some energy in the tank and give everyone a run out.

We are looking like and behaving like a top 6 club.

Fantastic.  :)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:05 PM »
We didn't need to get out of second gear at any point tonight.  What was Bruce thinking about, playing 3-5-2 against Villa?  Strange.  We have dangerous players all over the pitch and look really sexy with the ball, when we up the tempo.  A bit sloppy in the second half in the final third I thought but it was so easy I think a few of our players thought it was a testimonial.   Great that Jack has a slightly quieter game and yet still earns an assist and caused them problems.  Lovely second goal.  A club on the up and lovely to hear the deserved plaudits that the club deserves.  Such a shame the fans can see it all at the stadium, the place would be rocking.  Every player played well without having to hit top gear.

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2021, 11:00:43 PM »
Very routine win. Coming into the game I felt it would be a good test, can we keep momentum going a team we should beat. We passed the test very well. Some good stuff first half and controlled second.

Keeper had little to do, defence we're excellent. Barkley is still getting up to full speed and luiz was ok. Thought marvellous was excellent and him and Konza were stand out for me. I certainly think in this run of games he should get a go for Luiz to rotate and keep things fresh.

Grealish was superb for the second as was troare delighted for Watkins to get his goal.

Smith is going to have to use the squad over the coming games to keep things sharp and I certainly wouldn't be afraid to rotate a little bit to keep all on there toes

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2021, 11:03:38 PM »
Jack just hated coming off. I love that desire

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

Close to what I would give but I’d give Traore a 7. His goal was good and he did track back a lot more than previous games, but then again, Newcastle were hardly Man City

Brilliant goal alright but thought he gave the ball away a lot.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
About as routine as routine could get.

Negatives

We didn't go for the throat. If anything I think the insane amount of space and time they gave us slowed us down, when we needed to quicken the play. Part of that is Barkley being rusty.

Didn't feel without McGinn we turned over the ball as well in the final third so we were longer in our transitions to get Jack involved.

Bloody Mings. Do the simple things.

Positives

Easiest game of the season.

Delighted for Ollie as he works so hard, thought he was behind the ball for the goal anyway.

Konsa is immense, Mings is too when he doesn't think too much and our full backs are top draw.

Marv did well and shows he can cover for Dougie. His distribution was fine, albeit never under any pressure.

Felt we lacked a little bit of zip that McGinn brings and hopefully Morgan will add too.

Very pleasing to watch aren't we?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:59 PM »
To be fair, I also wasn't terribly impressed by the attitude of Barkley and Grealish when they were subbed, and I do think that substitutions should have been made after 60 minutes, not 80.

Why? The day a player is happy to be subbed, is the day that player should be sold to somebody else.
Being unhappy is a fine thing being almost petulant and going on about it for 5 minutes is not. Jack is captain he had done his job so after being subbed at 10 minutes to go I don't understand his grumpiness.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2021, 11:14:26 PM »

Being unhappy is a fine thing being almost petulant and going on about it for 5 minutes is not. Jack is captain he had done his job so after being subbed at 10 minutes to go I don't understand his grumpiness.

5 minutes? Where do you get that from?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2021, 11:15:37 PM »

Does it really matter?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
About as routine as routine could get.

Negatives

We didn't go for the throat. If anything I think the insane amount of space and time they gave us slowed us down, when we needed to quicken the play. Part of that is Barkley being rusty.

Didn't feel without McGinn we turned over the ball as well in the final third so we were longer in our transitions to get Jack involved.

Bloody Mings. Do the simple things.

Positives

Easiest game of the season.

Delighted for Ollie as he works so hard, thought he was behind the ball for the goal anyway.

Konsa is immense, Mings is too when he doesn't think too much and our full backs are top draw.

Marv did well and shows he can cover for Dougie. His distribution was fine, albeit never under any pressure.

Felt we lacked a little bit of zip that McGinn brings and hopefully Morgan will add too.

Very pleasing to watch aren't we?
Definitely. They are a joy to watch at times.
Although some of our fans found tonight was a tough watch apparently. I suppose anything less than Brazil circa1970 every game just isn't good enough for some. Each to their own I guess but people have such short memories. We've been served some utter dross in the last 10 years you'd think they would just enjoy the ride while they can?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal