collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21424 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.

But he was level / behind the ball played in so was onside initially. Everything else doesn't matter. And if MOTD were so adamant about showing the offside "rule" working in our favour, why didn't they question the one given against Cheltenham when Citeh's own player played it back to another defender and the attacker was adjudged to be offside.

This is what that clause was introduced for, not the Rhodri incident. The "it's not my fault the defender's blind" exception.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2021, 09:16:50 AM »
Wrong. MOTD put up the lines and Ollie was fractionally offside initially but I refer you to law 11 from that point onwards.

The line MOTD put up was in line with Targett. As others have said Watkins was behind the ball, so not offside

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.
this is absolutely correct. Why are people having trouble understanding this it is clear in black and white. No need for interpretation or further clarification.

It absolutely isn't.

The only reason that Newcastle defender desperately threw himself at the cross was because he knew Ollie was behind him. If that's not interfering with play we might as well as go home.

The actual fact was Ollie just wasn't offside, at all, because he was behind the ball when it was played. It's pretty much the most basic element of the offside rule.

I have to agree. Watkins is certainly interfering with play when Targett plays that cross. The rule should just be updated that it has to be deliberate pass back. Sky kept prattling on at half time about Villa benefiting from "the rule" but didn't show the line from Targett. Think VAR confirmed the reason it was allowed was for "the rule"?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2021, 09:37:39 AM »
Last night was a window into football under Bruce (as we know).
Look how far we have come since we got rid of him.
There is no starker reminder that he has had his day, and it was a long,long time ago.

Oh, and Dougies Twitter ‘burn’ on Jack was just brilliant.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2021, 09:50:08 AM »
Watkins is not interfering with play. The law states "It is not an offence to be in an offside position". It becomes an offence if you challenge for the ball. However,If the ball comes to you, COMES TO YOU - NOT YOU GO TO IT, after an opponent deliberately plays it, you are not offside, you are deemed to be played onside.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2021, 09:50:29 AM »
Konsa has the uncoachable skill of just knowing where he needs to be, it all looks so simple.

That chance in the second half, when we were left a bit exposed, he could’ve dived in but just stepped back half a yard and blocked it once Fraser had taken the touch. Absolutely top drawer.

Him and Matt Targett are unbeatable at present, they’re going to have to make up some kind of “outstanding achievement in the field of excellence” award for them in lieu of Jack’s Player of the Season title.

Offline Astnor

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
Some observations from me about some of the players yesterday:

- Matinez is very good - didnt have to make critical saves but he is where he has to be (also has long arms and reach) and brings confidence
- Konza is very good - the way he stop players to go behind him (commentators said stats did tell he s benn rounded ONCE all season ...) - with quick feet and smal steps he kind of block every space possible for the attacker
- Barkeley not up to full capacity with passes and shots after injury bur brings kind of dominance to offensive midfield it seems.
- Ramsey an xiting prospect - composure and a bit elegance might (have to metion Cowans did come to mind cause it did happen)

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »
^^
Think VAR confirmed the reason it was allowed was for "the rule"?
What they said in commentary was that var had indicated that the defender's touch meant there was no need to bother checking whether or not Watkins was offside. Personally, I thought there was enough of a pause in the restart to suggest a brief confab at Stockley Park along the lines of "well, we really can't not give it now, can we?"

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »
Konsa has the uncoachable skill of just knowing where he needs to be, it all looks so simple.

That chance in the second half, when we were left a bit exposed, he could’ve dived in but just stepped back half a yard and blocked it once Fraser had taken the touch. Absolutely top drawer.

Him and Matt Targett are unbeatable at present, they’re going to have to make up some kind of “outstanding achievement in the field of excellence” award for them in lieu of Jack’s Player of the Season title.

Joking aside, how refreshing is it, that’s it’s not just about jack, as great as he is. Targett showed glimpses last season in between his struggles, but he has been simply superb this season. Konsa is just class, and we go on quite rightly about Ollie Watkins stepping up a division, but what about Matty Cash, first half a season in the premier league, and looks like he’s been playing there for years, such a committed player.
Two very tough away games coming up, but genuinely think we’ll give anyone a game with this group.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2021, 10:00:44 AM »
Wrong. MOTD put up the lines and Ollie was fractionally offside initially but I refer you to law 11 from that point onwards.

Wrong. When they put the line up to show he was offside, they failed to notice that the line also showed he was behind the ball, meaning he wasn’t offside at all.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
Yes I think you are right. I bet they wanted to call it but just couldn't haha

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »

Match of the Day's line. They are fucking idiots. The ball is two yards further forward, you twats.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
Some observations from me about some of the players yesterday:

- Matinez is very good - didnt have to make critical saves but he is where he has to be (also has long arms and reach) and brings confidence
- Konza is very good - the way he stop players to go behind him (commentators said stats did tell he s benn rounded ONCE all season ...) - with quick feet and smal steps he kind of block every space possible for the attacker
- Barkeley not up to full capacity with passes and shots after injury bur brings kind of dominance to offensive midfield it seems.
- Ramsey an xiting prospect - composure and a bit elegance might (have to metion Cowans did come to mind cause it did happen)
I completely agree, and especially on the goalie.
I know Emi is getting plaudits, but not enough in my opinion.
He exudes confidence and it flows into the back 4.

He might just be the most astute signing of the lot.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
Numerous great Managers down the years have stated that having a top quality keeper is the base on which you build it all. He is head and shoulders above every keeper I’ve seen down the Villa in the last 30 years.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Ignore me, just noticed what line they actually drew.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:21:53 AM by Lastfootstamper »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal