collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 670246 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3270 on: December 01, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »
Going back to multi-storey car parks - I can't see a council anywhere the the land giving permission for one to be built in our circumstances, given their remit to generally reduce car use in city centres.

Could we not run shuttles from Digbeth, which I believe is built for such things, then people could get the train into New St/Moor St?

For my part I was only talking about putting a part single deck on to replace the spaces lost from the redev, which Dave identified as one of the limiting factors of extending the North Stand

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #3271 on: December 01, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
I was looking at Witton Station on Google Earth earlier. I noticed to the north-east of the Birmingham-bound platform there was what looks like some space (I marked in red on the image). Enough space, perhaps,  to place a couple of siding lines, maybe with a wide (wider than the current) platform between them. I've no idea if such a construction would cost five million, 10 million or a hundred million, but if the train operators could be persuaded to provide two extra four-carriage trains twenty-something times per season then this could help relieve some of the immediate congestion after games.

current monitor resolution

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3272 on: December 01, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
I was looking at Witton Station on Google Earth earlier. I noticed to the north-east of the Birmingham-bound platform there was what looks like some space (I marked in red on the image). Enough space, perhaps,  to place a couple of siding lines, maybe with a wide (wider than the current) platform between them. I've no idea if such a construction would cost five million, 10 million or a hundred million, but if the train operators could be persuaded to provide two extra four-carriage trains twenty-something times per season then this could help relieve some of the immediate congestion after games.

Isn't that ground much lower than the railway line?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3273 on: December 01, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »

Fill it in with a bit of dirt - job done.

/not a civil engineer.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3274 on: December 01, 2021, 06:00:44 PM »

Yeah 4m-ish lower by the look of it on pictures (where you can only see the tops of the trees).

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #3275 on: December 01, 2021, 06:03:01 PM »
It is. About 12ft according to Google Earth. It would need in-filling and compacting to bring it level with the existing line while supporting the weight of lines, sleepers, rolling stock, etc. I doubt that's a cheap option hence my mention of the figures in my original post. But then there is clearly no viable cheap options to solving the conjestion issue. Whatever happens, if the club have to pay, it's going to sting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:04:51 PM by Chris Harte »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3276 on: December 01, 2021, 06:21:49 PM »
The transport thing will be difficult to fix. Planning for railways typically takes decades rather than something you can sort out in a few weeks, particularly where new infrastructure is concerned. The Walsall tram extension might offer some options in the future, but again planning and soforth will mean that that’s decades away.

Buses or coaches I suspect will be the only viable option in the coming years. They’re unlikely to help with, or be helped by, road congestion around the ground though.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3277 on: December 01, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »
what's the point anymore? Aston Villa, the original super club. Biggest club in the Midlands. Former European champions. Now, stuck in a game where what counts is that your billionaire owner has more billions than the next billionaire owner.

Everything that has happened today has been a real reminder of how crap the modern game is and why I just don't know why anybody should bother with it.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #3278 on: December 01, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
what's the point anymore? Aston Villa, the original super club. Biggest club in the Midlands. Former European champions. Now, stuck in a game where what counts is that your billionaire owner has more billions than the next billionaire owner.

Everything that has happened today has been a real reminder of how crap the modern game is and why I just don't know why anybody should bother with it.

Sadly i agree. I dont think we will ever  finish above citeh  in our lifetimes.

We gotta dream and believe but i just cant see it. Moneys killed the game, the gaps only gonna get worse if anything

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3279 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:17 PM »
From the moment that bloody tweet was sent it has been a sobering day.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3280 on: December 01, 2021, 09:49:18 PM »

The obvious contradiction with that is that our particular billionaire owners have more money than all but three other billionaire owners in the English game.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3281 on: December 01, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »
Fair point

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #3282 on: December 01, 2021, 10:18:57 PM »
From the moment that bloody tweet was sent it has been a sobering day.

What tweet was that?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #3283 on: December 01, 2021, 10:24:17 PM »
It just needs a bit of progressive imagination and cooperation with the council.

1.To knock the Holte down and build a 20k wall.   That would put the Holte back on the map and be a massive icon again for the club. 

2. Knock the North Stand down and build a beautiful big first tier like the Witton Bank with a 7k top tier globe like stand cladded with claret n blue tiles. 

We have extended over the Trinity Road before with the new stand  - so it can be done with consultation and cooperation.

3.  Transport to ground - build it and will happen.  Old Trafford is an example from when they expanded. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:43:08 PM by TonyD »

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3284 on: December 01, 2021, 10:25:47 PM »

The obvious contradiction with that is that our particular billionaire owners have more money than all but three other billionaire owners in the English game.
Yeah but at the same time the investment we have made is more sustainable - investment throughout the whole club.  Pep has spent nearly a billion pounds on a team that had already won the league.  Buying players like joe have who they don’t need just cos they can - the likes of them and maybe Newcastle are playing a different game - one that’s about building the owners reputation for when oil isn’t the world currency

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal