collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 653047 times)

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3255 on: December 01, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »
When I leave the ground I need to get on the M6 South, it's usually hideous.  A match day mode on the traffic lights around spaghetti junction and Cuckoo Road could improve things a lot I reckon.  It should be possible with today's modern software controlled lights.  A little more priority given to the Lichfield Road at the island underneath would improve the capacity at that bottleneck without having too much of an impact on the other entrances/exits.  Maybe the same could be done for other bottlenecks.

Alternatively a big helicopter that will pick up my little car and drop me off on the sleepy M69 would do the job nicely.  Particularly for 20:15 kick offs on a school night.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3256 on: December 01, 2021, 12:59:54 PM »
When I leave the ground I need to get on the M6 South, it's usually hideous.  A match day mode on the traffic lights around spaghetti junction and Cuckoo Road could improve things a lot I reckon.  It should be possible with today's modern software controlled lights.  A little more priority given to the Lichfield Road at the island underneath would improve the capacity at that bottleneck without having too much of an impact on the other entrances/exits.  Maybe the same could be done for other bottlenecks.

Alternatively a big helicopter that will pick up my little car and drop me off on the sleepy M69 would do the job nicely.  Particularly for 20:15 kick offs on a school night.

I'm the same as you rip. I either do M6 south and then M69 and skirt around the bottom of Leicester, or do M6/A14/A6 past Market Harborough.  I'm sure if they did a local survey, they'd much prefer half an hour of one way traffic so the majority of cars are going in one direction, than the two hours of chaos they actually get, when it must be impossible to go anywhere.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3257 on: December 01, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »
Emotions aside, one of the major factors against moving away from Villa park is the land would undoubtedly be worth far less than any site we’d want to move to.  I suspect a lot of the other teams that made the decision to move to a completely new build stadium, the financials made much more sense as there was significant value in redeveloping their previous site.

Depends where we want to move to. For a logistics company, land that close to J6 of the M6 could be very valuable.
I'm no expert on these things but I would guess that you'd have a problem with getting permission for that in a residential area
Yes.  Although close the access routes just aren't good enough for logistics.  It would almost certainly go for housing.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3258 on: December 01, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »
The alternative for you two is to try and get to J5 at Castle Brom, but plenty already do, the A47 gets backed up to the Fort and it's a bollocksed for me. I've taken to heading south through Saltley/ Alum Rock and then Through Stetchford to get back and avoid it all, which works quite well.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3259 on: December 01, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »
The alternative for you two is to try and get to J5 at Castle Brom, but plenty already do, the A47 gets backed up to the Fort and it's a bollocksed for me. I've taken to heading south through Saltley/ Alum Rock and then Through Stetchford to get back and avoid it all, which works quite well.

The A47 would take me right to my door, if they hadn't cruelly downgraded the bit between Brum and Nuneaton to the B4114.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #3260 on: December 01, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »

We do use that route occasionally but as you say, it gets backed up too until you get past Bromford.  Lichfield Road is still the most frustrating part.  It's also the bit screws up the area for the locals on the Holte side of the ground.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3261 on: December 01, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
Emotions aside, one of the major factors against moving away from Villa park is the land would undoubtedly be worth far less than any site we’d want to move to.  I suspect a lot of the other teams that made the decision to move to a completely new build stadium, the financials made much more sense as there was significant value in redeveloping their previous site.

Depends where we want to move to. For a logistics company, land that close to J6 of the M6 could be very valuable.
I'm no expert on these things but I would guess that you'd have a problem with getting permission for that in a residential area

Possibly. There's already a similarly (massive) sized plot of commercial/industrial land behind the church and Serpentine Road though.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3262 on: December 01, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »

Possibly. There's already a similarly (massive) sized plot of commercial/industrial land behind the church and Serpentine Road though.

Again I don't know, but I would guess that a logistics company would want 24 hour working and, as Chris said, the access routes don't seem to lend themselves to transport. The likes of Amazon are based on the outskirts of small towns for a reason.   

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3263 on: December 01, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »

Again I don't know, but I would guess that a logistics company would want 24 hour working and, as Chris said, the access routes don't seem to lend themselves to transport. The likes of Amazon are based on the outskirts of small towns for a reason.   

There has been immense development of that type from the ground, up Aston Lane and right up towards the power league of late, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did get used for some industrial / logistics centre.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3264 on: December 01, 2021, 01:43:42 PM »
True enough. I guess our main problem is that we're slap bang in the middle of the biggest urban conurbation outside of London. It's a bit easier in the likes of Liverpool or Manchester when 10 minutes in the car and you're in the open countryside.

edit: replying to Dave.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3265 on: December 01, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
Do the safe-standing rails help to save space and inflate capacity? I didn't think that was the case as people still have roughly the same designated space to move in whether it's sitting, standing or dancing.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3266 on: December 01, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
Do the safe-standing rails help to save space and inflate capacity? I didn't think that was the case as people still have roughly the same designated space to move in whether it's sitting, standing or dancing.

They make no difference; it's the entrance/exits & facilities that dictate capacity.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3267 on: December 01, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
Going back to multi-storey car parks - I can't see a council anywhere the the land giving permission for one to be built in our circumstances, given their remit to generally reduce car use in city centres.

Could we not run shuttles from Digbeth, which I believe is built for such things, then people could get the train into New St/Moor St?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #3268 on: December 01, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
Going back to multi-storey car parks - I can't see a council anywhere the the land giving permission for one to be built in our circumstances, given their remit to generally reduce car use in city centres.

Could we not run shuttles from Digbeth, which I believe is built for such things, then people could get the train into New St/Moor St?

You'd be as quick walking.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3269 on: December 01, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »

You'd be as quick walking.

But some of us are lazy bastards, Dave!

As a non-regular, I get the train anyway and think of the congestion as part of the experience. I can see how it'd soon become a pain in the arse every second week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal