collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Theme From An Unmade Silent Movie  (Read 15163 times)

Offline Skerra

Re: Theme From An Unmade Silent Movie
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
I love it and, since Monday, keep finding myself whistling it. Mind you, I’m an oldie goldie as well and brings back many happy memories. Doesn’t have to be the one the team comes out to but, always enjoy it when it’s played.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Love it as it reminds me of when I used to go down Villa Park with my dad as does Red River Rock if I've got the right title  UTV!

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
As a under thirty who grew up with this song on one of my dad's old records.... I adore this song and think it's intrinsically linked to the DNA of our club.

For what it's worth, it's been played before every game this season, usually just after the teams have gone in from the warm up, and has been for the past few years, so those of you who have no recollection of hearing it must be late to your seats!

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
This thread could become more polarised than the Brexit one. Or the Left Side vs the Right Side.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
Not a fan. Always reminds me when it comes on of a black and white Charlie Chaplin movie. Which is massively unfunny.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
it's definitely an age thing
I wish I was young enough to think it's just a load of jumbly old notes with no particular meaning that sounds a bit odd

but unfortunatly i'm old enough to remember the days when you heard the tune it meant Leighton Phillips or Chris Nicholl would be running out leading the team onto the pitch

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2019, 09:42:28 PM »
Not a fan. Always reminds me when it comes on of a black and white Charlie Chaplin movie. Which is massively unfunny.
WHAT? That's like saying Pele was shit.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
So you agree with me then not funny at all.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2019, 12:00:54 AM »
Harold Lloyd over Charlie Chaplin any day for me

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
Harold Lloyd over Charlie Chaplin any day for me
This

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »
Laurel and Hardy for me but in fairness most of their stuff was verbal as opposed to silent. Still funny almost a hundred years on.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
I'm an instrumental guitar geek and I was reading an article in my latest addition of Pipeline about Norman Smith, ex-recording engineer of The Shadows, but more notably all the Beatles recording up to Revolver when he was promoted to producer (1st, 2nd and 4th Pink Floyd albums).

So I looked him up for more info and I never realised he wrote the tune of this here thread!

I'm not  a huge fan of the tune, but born in 1923 (glider pilot in WW2) he was mainly a jazz man. You can hear the old-style jazz background in his 1972 USA #3 solo hit "Oh, Babe What Would you Say" as Hurricane Smith. Not so much in his UK #2 "Don't Let it Die" which was a demo for Lennon, but he was persuaded to record himself. Not sure I like Norman's voice, but I can imagine Lennon's voice singing it.

Everyday an education.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »
I'm an instrumental guitar geek and I was reading an article in my latest addition of Pipeline about Norman Smith, ex-recording engineer of The Shadows, but more notably all the Beatles recording up to Revolver when he was promoted to producer (1st, 2nd and 4th Pink Floyd albums).

So I looked him up for more info and I never realised he wrote the tune of this here thread!

I'm not  a huge fan of the tune, but born in 1923 (glider pilot in WW2) he was mainly a jazz man. You can hear the old-style jazz background in his 1972 USA #3 solo hit "Oh, Babe What Would you Say" as Hurricane Smith. Not so much in his UK #2 "Don't Let it Die" which was a demo for Lennon, but he was persuaded to record himself. Not sure I like Norman's voice, but I can imagine Lennon's voice singing it.

Everyday an education.
Nice bit of research, mate. The theme of this thread is undoubtedly a massive link to the golden years of the 1970's when Villa rose like a Phoenix from the old 3rd division to become Champs. It was the heyday of my life - teens into early 20's - and it will forever be emblematic to that generation of fans.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2022, 04:31:37 PM »
Would be better for the team to come out to rather than the current ear splitting crap they play at the moment.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »
Would be better for the team to come out to rather than the current ear splitting crap they play at the moment.

Couldn't agree more. It was nearly as OTT in the Upper Holte on Sunday as it was in the Trinity earlier in the season, it's like they're trying to give everyone a headache before kick off. Plus, like you say, it's also shit. Just the noise of the crowd plus a more traditional tune like this at sensible volume would be miles better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal