collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Theme From An Unmade Silent Movie  (Read 14906 times)

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
Re: Theme From An Unmade Silent Movie
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »
Harold Lloyd over Charlie Chaplin any day for me
This

Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Harry Langdon for me with Chaplin just creeping into the Top 5

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2022, 05:31:21 PM »
Now that we've ditched "Sweet Caroline" what should be played after a victory? I'm not a big fan of "Hi Ho"  (too associated with other clubs). I'd like something anthemic we could all sing along to - how about "Heroes" by Bowie?  I know there's no Villa connection but does that really matter?

Afterthought; "Heroes and Villains", geddit?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
Sometimes I wish they would just not play anything and allow us to applaud the players in our own way.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2022, 05:53:15 PM »
We have our own song but it came forty or fifty years too soon. The song entitled "An old shirt of claret and blue" was the much acclaimed party piece of skipper and later Villa manager Eric Houghton.  Lost in the mists of antiquity regrettably.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2022, 06:00:44 PM »
I've always thought that the chorus to Labbi Siffre's Something Inside So Strong would make a rousing end-of-game anthem after a good win like Sunday's.  The kids have probably never heard of it though.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »
It's always bothered me that Villa have never had an out and out club song/anthem. As loathe as I am to admit it, I've always secretly envied Small Heath having a song that is uniquely theirs.

Moreover, we've pinched the most inane and overplayed songs and chants from other clubs and I'm sick to the back teeth of Sweet Caroline, HiHo silver lining, Wonderwall et al.

TFAUSM is probably the closest we have to a uniquely Villa song and I've always loved it, but I understand why others don't and it's not exactly something you can sing along with.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2022, 06:44:23 PM »
I’m Emery the 8th I am - Herman’s hermits

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2022, 09:00:09 PM »
We have our own song but it came forty or fifty years too soon. The song entitled "An old shirt of claret and blue" was the much acclaimed party piece of skipper and later Villa manager Eric Houghton.  Lost in the mists of antiquity regrettably.

Richard Whitehead was trying to find the words to that a few weeks ago. I don't suppose you know any of them?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »
I’m Emery the 8th I am - Herman’s hermits
Joe Brown!!!!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2022, 09:35:02 PM »
The whole TFAUSM thing is like the clamour on here for the round badge.

It means everything to me, I remember hearing it as a 6 year old walking into the Witton Lane stand and seeing the massive green expanse of pitch when my Dad brought me to games in the 1970s. It was the theme tune playing in my head for most of my childhood going to games, and the round badge was what was on our chests.

It's too easy to forget that all that will mean absolutely nothing for one or two generations of fans, though.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2022, 10:47:00 PM »
Had it as my ringtone for as long as I can remember, when my phone rings I like to listen to it for a few seconds before answering. Yes I know I need to get out more but it holds such happy memories for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2022, 12:48:05 AM »
TFAUSM was used quite frequently about 15 years back pre match. I remember that awful re-hash of Bells are ringing that was our walk out music for about 3-4 games before it was mercifully ditched.

Let's be honest our main unique song is Holte enders in the Sky so that's the only thing that could be reworked to be a sort of anthem for us (and even then a portion of the lyrics would have to be altered to make it family friendly).

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
Sometimes I wish they would just not play anything and allow us to applaud the players in our own way.

Fully agreed. We're not Bolton or SHA, we don't need music pumped in to boost the atmosphere.

Personally, I'd do away with the walk-out music as well. Absolute ear-splitting racket.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2022, 06:41:41 AM »
I realise I'm in a minority of one, but I like the walk out music. I've even got it in my liked songs on Spotify.

TFAUSM on the other hand. Played it the other day and wasn't impressed.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2022, 08:08:19 AM »
They played it at half time against Palace last season when the ‘82 squad did a lap of honour. It was a brilliant moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal