collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mid season report card  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
Mid season report card
« on: November 14, 2022, 05:03:35 AM »
It's been a bit of a weird season so far.
Before a ball was kicked we had such high hopes that with the investment by the owners, we should be pushing for a European place.
We have had some horrendous results/performances (Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham & Newcastle all away).
We lost our expensive summer signing (Carlos) to a long term injury.
We have changed Manager, beat Man U at home in the PL for the first time in 27 years, and turned in the odd excellent performance (Brentford).
We have won two PL games in a row including our first away win for the season.
Something that would have been very unlikely under SG.
What does everyone think so far?
Will the WC enforced break be a benefit to us like during the lockdown season when we improved after the long layoff and scraped home the right side of the relegation line.
How do you see the second half of the season panning out?
I am really positive about it.
UTV

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: Mid season report card
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 05:29:39 AM »
If we are scoring this, the SG season was a straight 1/10 - with the post SG being an 8/10.

A month ago I was struggling to find 3 teams worse than us, now with Emery here I see no reason why 7th-9th isn't perfectly achievable looking at sides from there down. 

Our whole demeanour and shape on the field has totally changed to the degree that we've been unrecognisable in comparison to the shambles we saw at Fulham. All the players are sharper, more committed and look like they are buying in to what Emery is selling - what was going on with Gerrard and his team McGrath only knows.

So I'm optimistic for a good 2nd half of the season and kicking on, although we'll still have our off days I'm sure. We are the Villa after all.

With a bit of luck with some early draws maybe we'll have a long cup run too.  We can but dream.....

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »
At the end of last season, we were told wait till Gerrard has had a pre-season with the squad etc. etc. because performances would be better than the previous season. That evaporated with the public stripping of the captaincy from Tyrone and pitiful words from Gerrard about looking him in the eye followed by an abysmal performance at Bournemouth. Performances were dire with the inevitable sacking. One out of ten.

Unai Emery appointed, and supporters can immediately see a better game plan, beating Manchester United at home in his first game and already we could see a vast improvement to the shape of the team and players such as JJ getting back to what he is capable of. Unai got to see more of the squad in the cup game followed up with another fantastic three points in a different type of performance and the players go into the break full of confidence raring to re-start the season after the World Cup. Eight and a half out of ten.

I’m really looking forward to the remainder of the season and looking up the table rather than feeling that we may get relegated which looked a possibility under the previous manager.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 08:37:53 AM »
The last 2 league games have proven what a good tactician Emery is. He’s not had enough time yet for his coaching to have a massive effect but his tactical mind is obviously up there with the best.
The ability to quickly have a look at the players, and decide what formations suit them while taking the opposition into account has been a massive plus.
I’ve always been in favour or English coaches being given a chance but foreign coaches seem to be way ahead when it comes to the tactical side of the game. God knows why this is but I’m just happy we’ve got Emery now.
He’s got a huge job on his hands still, the mistakes have been part of our game since we came back up but with his ability and new players I’m convinced we’ll be an established top half club while he’s with us. Another few decent results prior to January and a few decent signings could see us top half this season. It maybe too much to push towards 7th but what a turnaround in just a few weeks.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 10:33:45 AM »
Bournemouth set the tone with StevieEffingMe quarreling with our real club Captain having spent a great deal of money seemingly on his replacement. The alternative captain was a disaster and Gerrard should have been binned after the West Ham game when David 'Straight Jacket' Moyes out smarted him tactically.

We limped on City at home aside with some of the most turgid ineffective bollocks I have seen in 40+ years supporting Villa.

We wasted 7 or 8 games more before binning him.

Since then I have very few complaints other than picking Olsen and McGinn last Thursday. The last 2 league games have seen us play much better and much smarter.

I'd expect a very comfortable mid table finish aiming for 50 points+. There will be set backs and maybe a poor run or two but if we can shift some of the deadwood in Jan and add a couple of shrewd signings then we will be better placed next season.

Midfield with Luiz now committed, Dendonker and Kamara probably means Sansom or Marvellous going. Like to see Traore recalled if possible and this may not be popular wave bye bye to Coutinho. We need a big upgrade on back up keeper, possibly one full back position, see if ~Emi B can really dig it at the club - no complaints now he has a proper coach.I'd like Archer to have more game time if possible.

Lots to be positive about unlike this time last month

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 10:40:27 AM »
We've thrown off the human malaise that was Gerrard. It felt like it was him and his ideas that were the significant factor in our ineptitude and it's took a week for the new man to underline it.

I expect a John Gregory-esque rollicking second part of the season, and a resurgent Coutinho playing a huge role in finally bringing the FA Cup back home.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »
The SG period and his failings has all been said.  With Emery we have systems more so than stand out individual talent that players fit into so when one of them goes off injured or is low on energy the system doesn't suffer. The defensive line analysis on MOTD last night being a case in point.  We can improve with better personnel so it's exciting to see who Unai will have in mind to try and bring in. 

SG   1/10
UE   8/10

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 11:39:56 AM »
We've thrown off the human malaise that was Gerrard. It felt like it was him and his ideas that were the significant factor in our ineptitude and it's took a week for the new man to underline it.

I expect a John Gregory-esque rollicking second part of the season, and a resurgent Coutinho playing a huge role in finally bringing the FA Cup back home.

Plus hopefully Carlos back some time this season. You'd think that Emery's style of playing out from the back would suit him much better than Konsa or Mings.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 11:40:08 AM »
SG: Steven has glaring faults and they have certainly glared at us this season. (sorry stolen from a comment about Stephen Fry)

UE: A very good start that shows lot of potential. Let's hope he maintains and improves further as the season goes on.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 11:57:22 AM »
It's not even mid-season!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 12:18:51 PM »

Yes it is, it’s not the start of the season and it’s not the end of the season so by default it is mid-season.

It’s not the half-way point I’ll grant you.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »

Agreed, can we circle-back after Game Day Nineteen and gather in clusters for blue-sky thinking upon halfway-point review?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 12:23:26 PM »
It's close enough. C- so far. Gerrard gets a solid E- and Emery is currently on a B.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
C- for me too.

Martinez B-
Olsen U
Digne C-
Cash  C-
Mings C
Konsa C
Young B
Kamara C