collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Podcasts  (Read 18022 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Villa Podcasts
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
For those unaware, the Villa View is back up and running and been going since last midway through last season I think.

Online FatSam

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 12:11:13 AM »
I've still got an insatiable appetite for Villa podcasts, and have been listening to all of the ones I've found so far.

I enjoyed the return of the Villa View, but its a shame that Tom Julian has now taken a step back as I thought he was a really good foil for Dan Bardell. Tom was a good anchor and gave the pod more structure. I've posted before that Chris Dolan offers no insight, but I'd have to say he is still marginally better than the other regular contributor, Ty Stacey. Their Purity Post Match Pint format with different guests is quite good.

Other than Dan Bardell on the Villa View, My Old Man Said probably has the most reliably good contributors. David Michael seems to need to do a lot of cheesy self-promotion, but I suppose he is trying to make the pod pay for itself. They tend to release episodes a bit later than the others, which sometimes makes their content old news - but its possible that they are prioritising patron-only content. 

After these, For the Love of Paul McGrath is probably my next favourite. Its a very unstructured casual conversation between two Irish Villains from Limerick. I like that its very much from their perspective of being supporters in that environment. Close enough to get to games pre-Covid, but now watching games in pubs surrounded by Liverpool and Man Utd supporters. They both have pedigree as supporters which makes it interesting to listen to in my opinion.

Whilst I respect the enthusiasm of the presenters and contributors of some of the other pods, who are obviously either younger or more recent Villa converts, I struggle to engage with their content. Cole Pettem for example on the Holtecast seems to experience everything vicariously through Twitter rather than having any of his own insight or opinions. He doesn't seem to know very much about his subject matter. I do though have to check myself from being too critical of anyone who takes the time to produce Villa content off their own back. It also might just be aimed at a younger audience.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »
I've still got an insatiable appetite for Villa podcasts, and have been listening to all of the ones I've found so far.

I enjoyed the return of the Villa View, but its a shame that Tom Julian has now taken a step back as I thought he was a really good foil for Dan Bardell. Tom was a good anchor and gave the pod more structure. I've posted before that Chris Dolan offers no insight, but I'd have to say he is still marginally better than the other regular contributor, Ty Stacey. Their Purity Post Match Pint format with different guests is quite good.

Other than Dan Bardell on the Villa View, My Old Man Said probably has the most reliably good contributors. David Michael seems to need to do a lot of cheesy self-promotion, but I suppose he is trying to make the pod pay for itself. They tend to release episodes a bit later than the others, which sometimes makes their content old news - but its possible that they are prioritising patron-only content. 

After these, For the Love of Paul McGrath is probably my next favourite. Its a very unstructured casual conversation between two Irish Villains from Limerick. I like that its very much from their perspective of being supporters in that environment. Close enough to get to games pre-Covid, but now watching games in pubs surrounded by Liverpool and Man Utd supporters. They both have pedigree as supporters which makes it interesting to listen to in my opinion.

Whilst I respect the enthusiasm of the presenters and contributors of some of the other pods, who are obviously either younger or more recent Villa converts, I struggle to engage with their content. Cole Pettem for example on the Holtecast seems to experience everything vicariously through Twitter rather than having any of his own insight or opinions. He doesn't seem to know very much about his subject matter. I do though have to check myself from being too critical of anyone who takes the time to produce Villa content off their own back. It also might just be aimed at a younger audience.

Thanks for this. Is the Under a Gaslit Lamp still going, I think that’s been mentioned before if you haven’t found it. Also doesn’t Kendrick do one now as well?

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 08:17:10 AM »

Thanks for this. Is the Under a Gaslit Lamp still going, I think that’s been mentioned before if you haven’t found it. Also doesn’t Kendrick do one now as well?

Kendrick does Claret and Blue along with Dan Rollinson and James Rushton. Pretty good and funny too.

Dan Bardell and Gregg Evans do 1874 which is a spin off from The Athletic.

Online FatSam

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »

Thanks - yes, Under a Gaslit Lamp is still going. I must admit this is one I have gradually lost interest in. I think its admirable that they are trying to cover the women's team, and have gone to the trouble of producing a magazine, especially in the current climate. I struggle to listen to Mark Jirobe, but can see that other posters earlier in this thread have a different opinion.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Villa View labours a bit now without Tom Julian, but Dan’s still good though struggles a bit on the tech front. I like Dolan, not seen a lot of him, but seen he doesn’t engage a few of the posters on here much.

Max has stopped doing Villa on tour through getting a new job. Probably for the best as the whole reason to be has gone for the minute with nowhere to tour. Wasn’t the same when the ginge and Owen left and I find that Simon guy a bit creepy.

Claret and blue probably the best I think. Dan Rollinson’s got better. Kendrick’s a bit of a parody of himself a lot of the time, but it’s usually entertaining and sometime’s quite funny. And decent back up with James Rushton and Ashley Preece. Rushton’s a bit annoying sometimes how he say’s ‘I feel’ at the start of every sentence. Preece, probably the sharpest of them with his views, but struggles to get them across sometimes. I’ve noticed him and Kendrick when they talk is a bit like they are drafting a written sentence rather than a spoken one, starting it 3 or 4 times. Some of the guests they’ve had put them to shame presentation-wise.

They’ve had people on from Chelsea, Arsenal, Brentford and Everton who’ve all been quite good. I’d probably watch or listen to anything Villa related these days, but I think the C&B one is the best at the moment.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2020, 12:34:16 PM »

Thanks - yes, Under a Gaslit Lamp is still going. I must admit this is one I have gradually lost interest in. I think its admirable that they are trying to cover the women's team, and have gone to the trouble of producing a magazine, especially in the current climate. I struggle to listen to Mark Jirobe, but can see that other posters earlier in this thread have a different opinion.

I did smile when they made "We've done a magazine" out to be some great and significant achievement.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
Villa View labours a bit now without Tom Julian, but Dan’s still good though struggles a bit on the tech front. I like Dolan, not seen a lot of him, but seen he doesn’t engage a few of the posters on here much.

Max has stopped doing Villa on tour through getting a new job. Probably for the best as the whole reason to be has gone for the minute with nowhere to tour. Wasn’t the same when the ginge and Owen left and I find that Simon guy a bit creepy.

Claret and blue probably the best I think. Dan Rollinson’s got better. Kendrick’s a bit of a parody of himself a lot of the time, but it’s usually entertaining and sometime’s quite funny. And decent back up with James Rushton and Ashley Preece. Rushton’s a bit annoying sometimes how he say’s ‘I feel’ at the start of every sentence. Preece, probably the sharpest of them with his views, but struggles to get them across sometimes. I’ve noticed him and Kendrick when they talk is a bit like they are drafting a written sentence rather than a spoken one, starting it 3 or 4 times. Some of the guests they’ve had put them to shame presentation-wise.

They’ve had people on from Chelsea, Arsenal, Brentford and Everton who’ve all been quite good. I’d probably watch or listen to anything Villa related these days, but I think the C&B one is the best at the moment.
I agree about Dan and Dolan, I think they pretty good.  Dan's side project with Gregg Evans is probably the most insightful, although I do think Gregg wings it sometimes.

I differ on Claret and Blue which I think is just awful.  Innane, unfunny wittering with no substance.  But with that said I think the more indepth series they are kicking off will be better and whilst James Rushton lacks polish I think he's pretty knowledgable.

MOMs remains decent, but the presenters are still a bit up their own backsides and not as funny as they think they are.  But probably the most professional of the lot.

I quite like For the Love of Paul McGrath at the moment.  Neil can get a bit carried away but they both come accross really well.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
My Old Man Said is a really good podcast - my favourite Villa one

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2020, 02:23:34 PM »
I listened to three of "For the Love of....." podcasts. The Ross B one, The pre Liverpool one and the Post Liverpool one and they were quite good, entertaining content and a POV I could relate to. Maybe a bit of an echo chamber but there you go. I have 3 daughters, I don't need my opinions to be challenged anymore than they already are!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »
Just listened to the claret and blue one with dan Rollinson James Rushton and Tony Tony Daley. Talking about players’ fitness and conditioning. Very interesting if you’re a nerd like me. Tone was always one of my favourite Villa players. Fascinating hearing him speak. Best trainer he’s played with, he said was Sid. He’s got a weirdly echoey kitchen though (Tony)

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »
I tried to play it in the car, on carplay! I couldn't understand a single word (from Tony) so had to switch it off! Will try it again on headphone later but not holding much hope.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
My favourite part of this weeks MOMS podcast.... "Richard Keys can Fuck off!"

Rightly so.

Offline bjfoster

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »

I agree the Villa View has gone downhill since Tom Julian left. He did something basic which the others don’t do- talk about the game in chronological order. Because otherwise they’re a bit all over the place and reactionary.

Still probably the best one available though. Along with Claret and Blue.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »
As I am working from home - listening to The Villa Podcast about our NON performance at Watford - it is making me laugh - the 2 guys are very good and funny

I've been listening to this podcast for the last few weeks following Sid's recommendation on a post match thread.  It is now my favourite Villa pod by some distance.  The lads are funny, entertaining and have decent football knowledge.  When they get going their rants are something to behold - this week they lay into Solskjaer.  It's a very diferent style to most the turgid podcasts out there and is well worth a listen if you're into this sort of stuff.

https://twitter.com/thevillapodcast?lang=en

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal