collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:02 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

GUESS THE GOAL R25: Europa Conf.🏆 Lille v VILLA Thursday 18th April! 🥅 by Fasth56
[April 17, 2024, 11:01:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:42:07 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:20:05 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:02 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 12:05:07 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:04:43 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:02:57 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Podcasts  (Read 18246 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Villa Podcasts
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
My reviews

Villa View - 8/10 - well put together and very professional despite the in joke of it being a shambles. Think they actually suffer from trying to do too much content, I’d cut the match previews. I would question the independence bit as they do appear to have closer ties to the club than others which is good for stuff they do like talking to Tayls and the Petrov interview but they sat on the fence with Bruce for far too long and don’t criticise the club where warranted in my view. Big tick in the box for not turning their post match reaction voxpops into an Arsenal FanTV style freak show. ThInk they need to give others a chance on the post match reaction shows as listening to two voices and opinions can get monotonous.

My Old Man Said - 8/10 - Feel this is more in tune with a H & V vibe with irreverent piss taking and not taking themselves too seriously. David M is involved with the FSA so do get the impression it is done with a view to being a fan and the whole supporter experience. Score extra marks for the Scott Hogan Touch count meter. Not afraid to express views about players or the club and Christian Purslow which proves their independence. All in all a good listen and my personal preference.

Holtecast - 1/10 - in the words of Andy Townsend ‘Not for me Clive’. Probably not aimed at my demographic to be fair to them.

Jonny Gould (AVST?) - 5/10 - infrequent and seems to feature Jonny’s radio appearances a bit too much. If you want a view from the posh seats this is the one for you. Are there no other Supporters Trust members who could chip in to widen the appeal?

Gather Round the Lamp - 6/10 - just getting going this season. Suffers a bit from the two contributors being either side of the Atlantic and in addition I just feel it’s a bit dry at the moment. That said lots of good discussion and may get more into its stride once it gets more established.

I’m not aware of any other Villa pods and my overall feeling is they all need to open up to different contributors as listening to the same voices over and over gets monotonous. On a final point fair play to all these fans though who go to the trouble of producing the content, no matter how good or bad, it is appreciated.

On the subject of Vloggers, if you’re not Villa on Tour, give up, you just aren’t hitting the spots that these 3 lads do. That Sheff Weds Away video from earlier in the season was a thing of beauty and just reminded me of being in my late teens early 20s, following the Villa and not giving a fuck. Brilliant.

Offline onebyone12

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
We feature heavily in the latest Tifo podcast:

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:56 PM »
Resuscitating an old thread, but massive shout out for the Villa on Tour youtube channel. Really good content, well made, wittily done, it's good stuff.

I've spent hours watching all the videos from last season over the last few weeks.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 11:31:11 PM »
Villa on Tour are great. They seem very young but so accomplished, well done to them.

The Villa View are also great, their podcasts are exceptional in my view.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 12:19:29 AM »
I agree that the Villa on Tour vlogs are well produced and good fun - an immersive account of travelling home and away. The guys don’t offer amazing analysis, but aren’t really trying to. It reminds me of being a similar age and just having a laugh on away days.

I enjoy listening to My Old Man Said and the Villa View best, which both have good analysis in my opinion. I think Dan Bardell and Tom Julian on the Villa View are becoming quite polished and complementary presenters. I struggled with Chris Dolan, who didn’t have any particular insight. There is some good analysis on My Old Man Said also.

The Holtecast is quite well produced, but I don’t think any of the presenters really know their football in the same way as those mentioned previously.

I don’t want to be too critical of anyone who has taken the trouble to produce a podcast off their own back, but I really can’t stand Under A Gaslit Lamp. The discussion is generally very obvious and lightweight, and the guys are not natural presenters. I always end up listening to it, due to an insatiable appetite for Villa content, and regret it later. The worst was an episode where they said ‘now we’d like to start doing something different and showcase our personalities a bit by telling you about our favourite song that we’ve been listening to each week’. I really couldn’t give a monkey’s.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 12:20:09 AM »
Villa on Tour are great. They seem very young but so accomplished, well done to them.

The Villa View are also great, their podcasts are exceptional in my view.

I've tried to listen a few times, but they (Villa View) spend way too much time talking about the minutia of a game that the vast majority of their audience has already seen quite recently. More analysis, less remembering would be my advice to them.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
Villa on Tour are great.

Yeah, if you're 12 years old.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 04:33:17 AM »
Claret and Blue Podcast done by Mat Kendrick and Daniel Rollinson is very good.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
I agree Villa on Tour are good videos and Max speaks well as a guest on some podcasts.

The Villa View  - for me still the best podcast.
1874 - Dan Bardell is also hosting a Podcast with Gregg Evans from the Athletic called 1874.  You feel this maybe has a bit more insider info, but the chemistry isn't quite as good as the Villa View
MOMS are still a bit up there own arse and no as funny as they think they are, but still a well put together pod.
Claret & Blue - The Birmingham Mail Matt Kendrick podcast with Dan Rollinson (former Villa View).   This isn't as good as I thought it would be.  I thought Matt Kendrick would be more insightful but he just trys to be funny and largely fails.  Ty Bracey is a decent gues when he is on it.
Gather Round the Lamp - not bad, Regan Foy is ok but the American guy is a bit hard to listen to with repetitive catch phrases.
Holtecast - absolute car crash.  James Rushton is ok, but the others are awful.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
I just can't get excited enough to watch or listen to any of them.
Am I missing anything?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
I read enough shite about the Villa on here ta! ;-)

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
I enjoy watching the Villa on tour Vlogs. As I don’t have the chance to go any more, it’s a good way for me to stay in touch and experience what the match day atmosphere is like. They kind of remind me how I was at that age. Complete Villa nerds.

Offline bjfoster

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 02:33:58 AM »
Yeah the two I stick to are Villa on Tour and the Villa View are the two I stick to.

Villa on tour, like previous people have said, is great at the seeing the crowd reactions to goals/VAR/referee decisions, especially for away days. The two best ones are Sheffield Wednesday away, for the last 5 minutes and Burnley away, just to see everyone’s reactions to goals and non-goals. I like Max’s analysis as well, doesn’t tend to go overboard and jump on the bandwagon, especially for someone of the twitter generation. Also, they’re just a bunch of lads having a laugh watching the Villa.

The Villa View, the two presenters are decent and seem to be on the money with what’s going on and the general mood at the time.

After I’ve watched those two, checked heroes and villains, checked twitter numerous times that’s enough Villa for me for one day.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »
Yeah the two I stick to are Villa on Tour and the Villa View are the two I stick to.

Villa on tour, like previous people have said, is great at the seeing the crowd reactions to goals/VAR/referee decisions, especially for away days. The two best ones are Sheffield Wednesday away, for the last 5 minutes and Burnley away, just to see everyone’s reactions to goals and non-goals. I like Max’s analysis as well, doesn’t tend to go overboard and jump on the bandwagon, especially for someone of the twitter generation. Also, they’re just a bunch of lads having a laugh watching the Villa.

The Villa View, the two presenters are decent and seem to be on the money with what’s going on and the general mood at the time.

After I’ve watched those two, checked heroes and villains, checked twitter numerous times that’s enough Villa for me for one day.

This is my life apart from twitter got fed up with the everybody slagging off Villa.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
The Villa View is no more. Their podcast this morning announces the end....
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:17:11 AM by Deano's Mullet »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal