collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Podcasts  (Read 18364 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Villa Podcasts
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2023, 01:49:02 AM »
All Villa No Filler is alright.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2023, 02:24:17 AM »
Ive been listening to the Villa podcast for well over a year now and its brilliant, my regular Monday fix to brighten up the start of the week. Funny and insightful and mad in equal measure.

As a comparator i bow and again listen to claret and blue for something to do on a long drive to work, its bloody dreary in comparison.
[/b]

They're not really aiming to do the same thing though. One is a (very good) DIY effort, the other is representing the imbeciles at Reach plc. I quite like Kendrick's terrible patter too.

Matt Kendrick is amiable and interesting enough, but the two main presenters just drone on a bit, i still listen, if we win in particular as i like any kind of review then.

I think maybe i just want to be entertained as well, which is why im drawn to the Villa Podcast, my family are Irish as well, so some of the anecdotes/rants, really hit home well.

Its obviously an independent job compared to the mail sponsored claret and blue, but i think the main presenter is or was a journalist for the Irish Independent. I also think its really tightly structured despite the seeming, madness or randomness of the rants in particular.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2023, 03:14:09 AM »
One of my favourite bits of The Villa Podcast is when they play that clip of a response from the Leeds one. When Aidan says something like "Leeds are hard-working and well-drilled, but their players are fucking shit" and the Leeds guys are then caught saying "our players are not 'fucking shit'".

The Villa Podcast is a perfect reflection of the tongue-in-cheek identity of the club. Reverse positions, and our lads would spend ten minutes agreeing with them.

I like to think that almost everything we do has a distinct sense of irony.

And there is something very Irish but also very British about that. We're aware of our failings, and draw attention to them in the self-deprecating narrative of why we all follow and love the club. We don't tie our self esteem to the fortunes of the team.

We support the most frustrating club in the world. We have a critical view of our owners, our stadium, our manager, our players, our half-time chips. Nothing is off-limits for self-mockery.

There is a strength there. That confidence in who we are screams security, and is why we'll always be better than any bitter upstarts from Small Heath, Sandwell or Manchester.

I may well be alone in this, but for me, the worst thing that could happen to Aston Villa is losing our collective sense of humour.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 03:45:53 AM by Rory »

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2023, 05:46:20 AM »
One of my favourite bits of The Villa Podcast is when they play that clip of a response from the Leeds one. When Aidan says something like "Leeds are hard-working and well-drilled, but their players are fucking shit" and the Leeds guys are then caught saying "our players are not 'fucking shit'".

The Villa Podcast is a perfect reflection of the tongue-in-cheek identity of the club. Reverse positions, and our lads would spend ten minutes agreeing with them.

And there is something very Irish but also very British about that. We're aware of our failings, and draw attention to them in the self-deprecating narrative of why we all follow and love the club. We don't tie our self esteem to the fortunes of the team.

We support the most frustrating club in the world. We have a critical view of our owners, our stadium, our manager, our players, our half-time chips. Nothing is off-limits for self-mockery.

There is a strength there. That confidence in who we are screams security, and is why we'll always be better than any bitter upstarts from Small Heath, Sandwell or Manchester.

I may well be alone in this, but for me, the worst thing that could happen to Aston Villa is losing our collective sense of humour.

This is a great post Rory and you’ve nailed it far better than i can.
Im on holiday in Thailand at the moment and theres a lot of German tourists, with some of the kids wearing  Man United tops or ive noticed the odd Arsenal top. Ive got the home and away 80-81 tops and have worn them on the odd days. Whilst im proudly Villa, ive enjoyed the recognition amongst some of the locals and tourists, but almost the sense of incredulity amongst some of the little German kids….’Aston Villa…papa…why’? Im paraphrasing for effect.

The Villa Podcast gets this self effacing aspect of supporting the Villa, whilst i feel the other podcasts are a bit more dry.

The self irony is something Man City also had and have lost. Its possible/probable this is a natural element of extreme success. I hope if we ever get there its not something that happens to us.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2023, 06:53:09 AM »

The irony is of course, that he was right; they are f*cking sh*t. Since the game in that clip, Leeds have taken 2 points off us from 5 games, 3 of which came under that utter ‘look me in the eyes, i’m all in’ clown Purslow anointed. And we’ve largely been dross.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:56:03 AM by LeonW »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2023, 08:55:11 AM »

It might be bias but I've always felt this and the whole 'Sob on the Tyne' flag thing with Newcastle highlights the difference between the two clubs in that respect.

Same with Leeds, that one club town insecurity comes through with paper thin egos.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2023, 10:30:23 AM »
Ive been listening to the Villa podcast for well over a year now and its brilliant, my regular Monday fix to brighten up the start of the week. Funny and insightful and mad in equal measure.

As a comparator i bow and again listen to claret and blue for something to do on a long drive to work, its bloody dreary in comparison.

I find myself checking to see if the latest one is out yet. I do a 10k steps walk every day and it's great for listening to on that.

I particularly enjoyed this Liam rant about Guardiola the other week.

https://twitter.com/TheVillaPodcast/status/1625442414688075780?s=20

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2023, 10:32:15 AM »

That Leeds podcast the clip comes from is The Square Ball, it's actually quite a good listen for general football supporter angst (I know, I get very very bored) and I thought they were very even handed in that clip they play of them talking about the villa podcast.

The other clip I like is the one of the Purslow Grealish announcement interspersed with Moneyball. Makes me laugh every time.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2023, 10:36:42 AM »

I find myself checking to see if the latest one is out yet. I do a 10k steps walk every day and it's great for listening to on that.

Yes, its either my drive to work, or boring treadmill run listen, gets me through both. The Guardiola rant was fantastic, as was both of then finally losing any respect for Grealish after his dive for their penalty against us. They feel it exactly like we do and articulate it with honesty, anger, humour and outrage all rolled into one. Brilliant stuff, they deserve a really big audience.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »

Very similar to myself, I run and I have done for years now and I don't particularly like it, but Liam and Connor have me looking like a running laughing lunatic.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2023, 11:02:05 AM »

Yes, its either my drive to work, or boring treadmill run listen, gets me through both. The Guardiola rant was fantastic, as was both of then finally losing any respect for Grealish after his dive for their penalty against us. They feel it exactly like we do and articulate it with honesty, anger, humour and outrage all rolled into one. Brilliant stuff, they deserve a really big audience.

I'm a fan and the Leeds quip always makes me smile too, there's something about their reply that whilst they're exasperated, you know they know it's fucking true!

On the subject of that bellend at Citeh, this from a piece about the racism Vicinious Jr is suffering in Spain was interesting:

"In 1997, Roberto Carlos was racially abused while playing his first clásico for Real Madrid. Barcelona fans made monkey chants every time he touched the ball, held up racist banners and even scratched the word “monkey” on his car as a special treat for him to find later.

No charges or punishments were issued and if, after complaining publicly, Carlos was hoping for a little professional solidarity at this most harrowing of moments, he was out of luck. “This man talks a lot, he talks too much, he doesn’t know our fans and he hasn’t been here for long enough to justify these things,” Barcelona’s central midfielder retorted that day, a Spain international by the name of Pep Guardiola"

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »
Yeah I saw that about Guardiola and Roberto Carlos, too. Caused the raising of an eyebrow.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2023, 11:22:20 AM »
Count me in as another big fan of the Villa Podcast.  It's miles better than any of the other ones I've listened to.  Genuinely funny. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2023, 11:54:18 AM »
I absolutely love The Villa Podcast.  It's head and shoulders over the others for entertainment.  Liams rants are something to behold.  They're also pretty astute in their analysis too.

If I want more detailed player analysis etc I'll go with For the Love of Paul McGrath and Villa View.  But I honestly don't know how people manage to listen to Claret and Blue, UTV Podcast and the others, they're just awful.

I like Holy Trinity, but it's video only so no good for travel or dog walks.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2023, 09:45:11 PM »
As I posted earlier, TVP is miles ahead, but the as-yet-unmentioned Gather Round The Lamp is a distant second I think. Not really humorous but the guy Craig is articulate and insightful. It’s just ahead of Bardell’s two IMO. I like FTLOPM when he’s scouting players and when Paddy’s in a bad mood, and also All Villa No Filler.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:24:30 PM by Percy McCarthy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal