collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140268 times)

Offline mike

Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #1035 on: October 22, 2020, 06:33:36 PM »
Chris Herd, there is a blast from the past. I always liked him but its fair to say his career has been a little mixed since leaving us.

Just Wiki'd him. Yep, didn't really kick on.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1036 on: October 22, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
All the strikers were crap for the last 15-20 games. Yorke was the best of the bunch with a massive 4 in about 18 games.

For us? Was class Spring of 98 when we practically won every game (Bolton, Palace and Atletico aside).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1037 on: October 22, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
All the strikers were crap for the last 15-20 games. Yorke was the best of the bunch with a massive 4 in about 18 games.

For us? Was class Spring of 98 when we practically won every game (Bolton, Palace and Atletico aside).

92/93

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1038 on: October 23, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
If I remember correctly after Steevie McClaren (the Wally with the Brolly) was turned around whilst on his way to Villa, due to fans vociferous dismay & concerns. The Club then went for Mcliesh maybe partly to say Up Yours to the fans

McClaren was a bizarre pick to go after aswell. He went to Forest a few weeks later and lasted until October. Since then his only spell in premier league was at Newcastle in 15/16 who had a much better 11 than we did that season but were on verge of relegation when he was sacked. Benitez came in and won a couple and it still wasn't enough.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1039 on: October 23, 2020, 01:15:27 AM »

I hope nobody has just eaten:

""That was a difficult and uncomfortable period. Paul and I felt that, above all, the club needed stability. We needed a manager who would understand Villa and could bring credibility and experience to the dressing room and had chemistry with us and trust in our approach. We researched and debated and discussed probably two dozen odd managers from all over until we came to feel that, despite Alex's last post, he met the criteria. Not only is he affable and optimistic, well-liked and certainly well-respected among peers and players alike, but he fit our plan. He fit our feeling that a modern manager needs to balance the hysterical urgency to win and win quickly with the equally crucial need to not squander the work of our academy."

Did the reaction of some supporters make him question this decision at any stage? "It certainly raised the stakes but, if we are right in terms of the fundamentals, then over time Alex will do as he's always done and that is make Villa better," he insists. "What Paul and I knew was that he had the right ingredients. With some good luck, and his trademark hard work and commitment, we felt our chances would be good. We felt his strengths simply outweighed any concerns. When you spend time with Alex, a lot of the sensitivities go away very quickly. Time with Alex is not only engaging, it is compelling. He's pure football. That, in the end, is what you want.

"Sir Alex Ferguson wrote to me after the appointment, a proper letter, talking about his feelings about Alex. It was something you don't easily forget and it's now in a safe deposit box. Given what Sir Alex Ferguson means to the game of football, I don't think you could get many things that you would be more proud of, or reflect better on Alex McLeish."

I think the Paul referred to was Paul Faulkner the then current CEO. It was Like the blind leading the blind

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1040 on: October 23, 2020, 07:40:31 AM »
The thing I didn't understand about the McLeish appointment was not the fact he'd been at Blues or that he'd got them relegated (although that was a headscratcher), it was that under Houllier we'd had a season of pain, but towards the end started playing some actual passing football.

Houllier then had to leave, and we tried to recruit Martinez, a manager not without his weaknesses, but all the same, known for playing passing football.

When he knocked us back, we then turned to McLeish, a manager whose style of play was the diametric opposite of what we'd gone through that painful season to start doing.

It just seemed so utterly fucking random.

What was Bielsa doing at the time? I think he’d have done well with those players. We still had some good ones then I seem to recall?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:52:45 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #1041 on: October 23, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
O'Neill Houllier McLeish Lambert

I mean not exactly what you'd call continuity appointments

Offline ez

« Reply #1042 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
With the Houllier appointment there was still talk of the champions league from the club. I think when Houllier took us backwards Lerner lost interest and let the lunatics take over the asylum.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1043 on: October 23, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
They should’ve kept Mcallister on.  We seemed to relax a bit more when he took over from Arthur Bostrom.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1044 on: October 23, 2020, 05:14:02 PM »
O'Neill Houllier McLeish Lambert

I mean not exactly what you'd call continuity appointments

Almost as if Lerner didn't have a long term strategy.  Or a plan.  Or a clue.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1045 on: October 23, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »

Wasn't it Heskey on one wing, Hutton on the other? Trying to emulate the Beckham/Giggs axis.

Would have been hilarious if it wasn't us.

Yes you're right, Hutton as right midfield and Heskey somewhere else in midfield.  Not sure we actually played anyone up front - gabby maybe?-  as the aim seemed to be get nil and keep them down to 2 - which to be fair, McLeish achieved.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1046 on: October 23, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »
They should’ve kept Mcallister on.  We seemed to relax a bit more when he took over from Arthur Bostrom.

You're right Kippax. IIRC our performances showed improvement for the short time he was in charge.  I would suggest from memory that we did something similar formwise when Roy Aitken was in charge after TSM1 left.

Offline ez

« Reply #1047 on: October 31, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
The most ill-judged idea in my Villa-following lifetime. Genuinely unfathomable. Bruce might have been a bit pants and horribly boring, but he stabilised and bought some impressive players (McGinn might be one of the best value signings ever). Tactics Tim was a huge contributor to relegation with his appalling, non-management management style, but at least he did have that cup run, kept us up and properly put Grealish in the team. McLeish was, in every sense, a total waste of time.

Starting games with 6 or 7 defenders on the pitch.  At least Gareth Southgate seemed to be paying attention.

I can't forget that game at Spurs with about 5 full backs selected and  Heskey at right midfield.

Wasn't it Heskey on one wing, Hutton on the other? Trying to emulate the Beckham/Giggs axis.

Would have been hilarious if it wasn't us.

That reminds me of one of our managers saying Heskey was like Franz Beckenbauer.  Probably Lambert. He was always coming out with nonsense.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1048 on: October 31, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »
Heskey had gone before Lambert arrived, it was McLeish.

Offline ez

« Reply #1049 on: October 31, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »
Ok thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal