collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140275 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #1020 on: October 22, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »
There have been a few WTF moments in my 50 plus years of following Villa.  The Marlon F Harewood signing and the Tim shite but Dim Shortlist of one run it close but appointing McLeish has to go down as the single most insane thing the club has done in that time. 
I actually laughed when it was mooted, and quietly thought "as if - even Lerner isn't dumb enough to hire the man who led Rangers to third in a two horse race and has sent even Blues fans to sleep with his anti-football". And then he went and did it. 
I still think it was stupidity rather than a fuck you, and whilst I'd rather have had brolly bloke, it would have been like choosing a less painful form of torture.
We're obviously of similar vintage, kt, and I agree with your observations; although Doug putting Graham Turner to the slaughter by bringing him in seemed pretty bizarre.
I hated the TSM appointment because it was so blatantly idiotic; I hated the DimTim appointment because it was so obviously dimwitted.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1021 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
To this day, the mere mention of Gregory's name near boils Julian Joachim's piss.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1022 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:48 AM »
The most ill-judged idea in my Villa-following lifetime. Genuinely unfathomable. Bruce might have been a bit pants and horribly boring, but he stabilised and bought some impressive players (McGinn might be one of the best value signings ever). Tactics Tim was a huge contributor to relegation with his appalling, non-management management style, but at least he did have that cup run, kept us up and properly put Grealish in the team. McLeish was, in every sense, a total waste of time.

Starting games with 6 or 7 defenders on the pitch.  At least Gareth Southgate seemed to be paying attention.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1023 on: October 22, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
At least Lerner felt romantically nourished.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1024 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
We're obviously of similar vintage, kt, and I agree with your observations; although Doug putting Graham Turner to the slaughter by bringing him in seemed pretty bizarre.
I hated the TSM appointment because it was so blatantly idiotic; I hated the DimTim appointment because it was so obviously dimwitted.

That also crossed my mind but at least Turner could, in a way, have been considered an up and coming manager that had gone under the radar and it would have been a real feather in Doug's ego had it come off.  But putting the manager of Shrewsbury Town in charge of the recent European Champions was somewhat optimistic/daft and was no doubt driven more by Doug's famed parsimony rather than a belief he had talent spotted the next Graham Taylor. 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1025 on: October 22, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »
The most ill-judged idea in my Villa-following lifetime. Genuinely unfathomable. Bruce might have been a bit pants and horribly boring, but he stabilised and bought some impressive players (McGinn might be one of the best value signings ever). Tactics Tim was a huge contributor to relegation with his appalling, non-management management style, but at least he did have that cup run, kept us up and properly put Grealish in the team. McLeish was, in every sense, a total waste of time.

Starting games with 6 or 7 defenders on the pitch.  At least Gareth Southgate seemed to be paying attention.

I can't forget that game at Spurs with about 5 full backs selected and  Heskey at right midfield.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1026 on: October 22, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »

I can't forget that game at Spurs with about 5 full backs selected and  Heskey at right midfield.

I will never forgive BFR for insisting on playing Dalian when Yorke was on fire.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1027 on: October 22, 2020, 02:03:42 PM »

Wasn't it Heskey on one wing, Hutton on the other? Trying to emulate the Beckham/Giggs axis.

Would have been hilarious if it wasn't us.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1028 on: October 22, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »

I will never forgive BFR for insisting on playing Dalian when Yorke was on fire.

More understandable as up until his injury at Liverpool, he'd looked absolutely unstoppable.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1029 on: October 22, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
The TSM is still the most inexplicable appointment. Houllier and Sherwood were very odd in their own way but at least the timing and panic due to few other options was a consideration. McNeil was also a strangish one as hadn't set the world alight at Cit-eh.  All had to 'do something appointments' smack about them though understandable.

The TSM though he had time to think. Yes think. How was that ever an answer? I remember when he resigned at Blues thinking - well he isn't going to get a better job in England than that. I mean his record and style is pretty awful. Maybe Stoke at best.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #1030 on: October 22, 2020, 03:21:42 PM »

Wasn't it Heskey on one wing, Hutton on the other? Trying to emulate the Beckham/Giggs axis.

Would have been hilarious if it wasn't us.

Didn't we play Albion away and get a 0-0 with Chris Herd and Ciaran Clark in midfield?  Another McLeish masterstroke, although the signing and unsurprising injury of Jermaine Jenas with us footing the bill for his wages still narks me to this day

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1031 on: October 22, 2020, 04:10:24 PM »
Chris Herd, there is a blast from the past. I always liked him but its fair to say his career has been a little mixed since leaving us.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1032 on: October 22, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »
He had a lovely haircut.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1033 on: October 22, 2020, 05:51:01 PM »

Yeah Blackburn away !

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1034 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »
All the strikers were crap for the last 15-20 games. Yorke was the best of the bunch with a massive 4 in about 18 games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal