collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 141416 times)

Offline mr-villa

Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #1050 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
Interesting interview with Keith Wyness by Villa Vlogger Jude's Journey

&ab_channel=Jude%27sJourney

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1051 on: January 31, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »
I thought that was interesting, too.

I suspect Wyness got a lot of stick he didn't deserve.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1052 on: January 31, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »
I thought that was interesting, too.

I suspect Wyness got a lot of stick he didn't deserve.

I'm convinced of it.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1053 on: January 31, 2021, 09:47:40 PM »
Really good interview.  An arrest warrant out in China for Dr Xia.  Ross McOrmack's behaviour was reprehensible!  Two quotes from Keith Wyness, who comes across as quite a genuine guy and clearly has a soft spot for the club.  Thank God for our new owners!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1054 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:39 PM »
Xia has now been shown up, quite clearly, as a dud, I don't think anyone can deny that. That said I don't think it means Wyness gets credit for being hard done by. He made plenty of basic errors himself so I'll go with fuck em both and thank god for the new owners and board. I get some people might not like Purslow but for me he's a massive improvement on Wyness in every way with his basic understanding of the game the most important of them and the difference in attitude that creates is a big part of why the club just feels so much better. I think the managers they picked are a clear reflection on who they both are.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1055 on: January 31, 2021, 10:20:52 PM »
What would have happened if we'd gone up in 2018 I wonder? Can't help thinking it would ended in tears one way or another.

Offline villabear

« Reply #1056 on: January 31, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »
What would have happened if we'd gone up in 2018 I wonder? Can't help thinking it would ended in tears one way or another.

Best thing that didn’t happen to us. Loads of stuff wouldn’t have come to light. Old built up shoes still in charge. Bruce with a bigger budget to spend.

*shudders

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1057 on: January 31, 2021, 10:36:24 PM »

It would have shown up Bruce and Wyness' "get some loans in on big wages to get us up and then worry about things afterwards" strategy.

By the way, did Wyness really say he left the club in a better state than he found it?!  Don't recall the taxman banging on the door when Lerner left the club

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1058 on: January 31, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »
That’s a fascinating interview but ultimately still one side of the story. And I’m not dismissing that his version is probably closer to the truth than any version that could come from Xia. I’m sure we were a status symbol for Xia in China and once the funding was pulled he was clearly fucked and everything spiralled downhill fast after that. The thing that made Xia popular with many fans for much of his time with the club was that he was the anti Lerner. We went from an owner who by the end, when we really need him to lead and reassure came out with one or two words, much of it nonsensical bollocks to one who seemed to enjoy the interaction with a battered and bruised fan base. By that stage most of us were just delighted to see the back of Lerner, and while smoking mirrors we appeared to have a chance of changing our fortunes quickly. As it turned out, it was to be nothing but an illusion and ultimately turned into a nightmare.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1059 on: January 31, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »
I've said a few times I think pound for pound McCormack is probably our worst signing ever and the very brief comments there seem to back it up.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1060 on: January 31, 2021, 11:01:53 PM »
I've said a few times I think pound for pound McCormack is probably our worst signing ever and the very brief comments there seem to back it up.

I'd love to know the full story behind it and what he was up to. Both Wyness and Bruce have been around the block a bit and yet they both seemed genuinely amazed and disgusted at him. The fact that since leaving us the only takers have been Aldershot says a lot.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1061 on: January 31, 2021, 11:06:06 PM »
Xia has now been shown up, quite clearly, as a dud, I don't think anyone can deny that. That said I don't think it means Wyness gets credit for being hard done by. He made plenty of basic errors himself so I'll go with fuck em both and thank god for the new owners and board. I get some people might not like Purslow but for me he's a massive improvement on Wyness in every way with his basic understanding of the game the most important of them and the difference in attitude that creates is a big part of why the club just feels so much better. I think the managers they picked are a clear reflection on who they both are.

Wyness, Xia and Bruce oversaw us running up a near £80 million wage bill in the Championship on an ageing squad, with a few borrowed players thrown in.  Xia as owner was a loose cannon and a disaster, but to see both Wyness and Bruce still trying to weasel away from the car crash they helped to cause tells you all you need to know.

Bollocks to the three of them.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1062 on: January 31, 2021, 11:27:08 PM »

We'd have coverted Johnstone and Snodgrass into permanents and signed likes of Fellani and Javier Hernandez if reports were to be believed at the time. Perhaps Tammy on a season long loan at prem level which would've been interesting.

Would've probably made less signings given the overall squad situation in summer 2018 but likes of Whelan and Kodj would've been regular starters so would've been no less a struggle to stay up than 19/20 was playing even more turgid football.

Had completely forgotten about Abel Hernandez listening to that interview.

I think a problem here is we simply didn't do much research into what we were getting in. The rumours of Di Matteo when he got potted at WBA is training was very lax and I had concerns that Fulham never got close to top 6 while McCormack was there despite his very impressive YT montage of goals and seems he saw the move to us as his effective post football pension.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:29:11 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1063 on: February 01, 2021, 12:52:21 AM »
Feel a bit bad for assuming the worst in Keith, he comes across very well there.

Di Matteo not working hard enough, McCormack being a complete waste of skin (I'd love to know the full story) and Xia's interference and general incompetence....despite pointing those out, it sounds like Wyness really is biting his tongue on the full truth of that era due to confidentiality clauses. Thank fuck we survived it.

Netflix should have had their cameras rolling at Bodymoor, they would have got two great seasons/series out of 2016-18.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1064 on: February 01, 2021, 08:20:22 AM »
Xia contacting Wyness from China during a match to tell Bruce to make 2 subs? One of whom (Whelan) then scored?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal