collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds 0 Gerrard Out XI 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 17741 times)

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Leeds 0 Gerrard Out XI 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2022, 10:30:05 AM »
My god ,the only decent game plan we seem to have, is the time wasting to break up their momentum.  give us a break  :(

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2022, 10:31:49 AM »
Was fortunate to have a ticket yesterday.
Although being right a the back and having to crouch down to see our corners in the first half was a bit of a hassle.
Still another ground ticked off I suppose.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »
The only decision they had a right to moan about was Bailey not getting booked for kicking the ball away, but it's the sort of thing, rightly or wrongly, you often get away with early on.

After the red card, which was indisputable, he was fairly generous to Leeds and could easily have shown a few more cards. Koch didn't get booked till his third of fourth borderline yellow card foul, for instance.
He definitely bottled it after the red card, by that time the crowd had got to him. It must be a bloody awful place to try and ref though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2022, 10:34:23 AM »
My god ,the only decent game plan we seem to have, is the time wasting to break up their momentum.  give us a break  :(
He admitted it.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2022, 10:38:18 AM »
It was a terrible game of football but one we should have won. If you’re feeling generous you could describe it as a battling point at a difficult place to visit, if not then it’s points dropped due to poor finishing. At the moment Gerrard is achieving the bare minimum to keep his job but it just moves the pressure to the next game.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
It was a terrible game of football but one we should have won. If you’re feeling generous you could describe it as a battling point at a difficult place to visit, if not then it’s points dropped due to poor finishing. At the moment Gerrard is achieving the bare minimum to keep his job but it just moves the pressure to the next game.
Agree, and it goes one of 2 ways, he either discovers how to set the team up to get the best out of the resources we have or eventually the owners will make a decision.

McLeish and Lambert were allowed way too much time to persist with this strategy.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2022, 10:47:21 AM »
Agree, and it goes one of 2 ways, he either discovers how to set the team up to get the best out of the resources we have or eventually the owners will make a decision.

McLeish and Lambert were allowed way too much time to persist with this strategy.
We all know how this is going to end. Why dont the owners just get on with it.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
To be fair to Gerrard, having Carlos, Digne, Cash, Kamara and then Augustinsson all out injured it means the midfield maybe should do more to help defend. However, letting Guilbert rot  and taking the captaincy away from Mings hasn't helped either.

It's a bit of a mess.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2022, 11:05:14 AM »
To be fair to Gerrard, having Carlos, Digne, Cash, Kamara and then Augustinsson all out injured it means the midfield maybe should do more to help defend. However, letting Guilbert rot  and taking the captaincy away from Mings hasn't helped either.

It's a bit of a mess.

You could argue that although it could have been handled better, taking the captaincy from Mings is one thing that HAS worked. His form has been miles better since.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2022, 11:10:04 AM »
Congratulations to Svante Paabo on his award for research into Leeds supporters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63116304

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2022, 11:11:31 AM »

It's a bit of a mess.

You could argue that although it could have been handled better, taking the captaincy from Mings is one thing that HAS worked. His form has been miles better since.

I was just going to post similar. It was one of his better idea's. It was the rest of it that was a mess.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2022, 11:14:00 AM »
Is this all down the manager ?
There are players out there that have to do their job
I have come to a belated conviction that Watkins is not the answer, nor Ings although 10 mins is harsh to expect a return
Midfield that creates fuck all
Spoilt I guess watching De Bruyne et al earlier

t's very hard to judge in my opinion. Yes we missed some chances (personally I thought the Konsa one was the worst of the lot) but a big part of why we don't do better with our chances is that too foten we give teams time to get back into decent positions which makes the chances far harder. For me that's where better management and coaching has an impact, our attacking play is slow because the player on the ball is waiting to know who is going to run, etc. A better coached team knows those runs before they happen and that gives them half a second more to take advantage. It's all about the fine margins to know who is a good or bad manager but I think the stupid money in the premier league has blinded a lot of people to that so the answer is always to buy another player to solve the problem for you instead of actually putting the work in.

100% this. When one player has to slow down a second or two to figure out what to do, it slows us down a bit. When 5, 6 or more players all have to slow down a second or two to figure out what to do, you basically get our slow, ponderous attacking play, as it accumulates.

I personally thought Watkins was really good yesterday in terms of his runs. You take him out, no one makes those runs and our attacking play looks even worse than it did yesterday. His chances were what they were, though I thought Muslier did well for them and showed what he is good at.

I also thought that Coutinho and Young linked up nicely on the left. And I although I am firmly of the belief that Gerrard is as good at setting up an attacking team as Southgate, we played some decent stuff on the left.

End of the day, we were away, we got a point. I am not going to go apeshit over it.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2022, 11:16:56 AM »

It's a bit of a mess.

The problem was making McGinn captain. He would have probably been better off giving it to Martinez. While you wouldn't normally associate goalkeepers as being captains, it shouldn't have been a negative and would have allowed us to drop McGinn on the basis of form without it becoming a big issue.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2022, 11:27:54 AM »

It's a bit of a mess.

The problem was making McGinn captain. He would have probably been better off giving it to Martinez. While you wouldn't normally associate goalkeepers as being captains, it shouldn't have been a negative and would have allowed us to drop McGinn on the basis of form without it becoming a big issue.
This shouldn't be an issue with Young in the team because, nominally at least, is the club captain.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2022, 11:35:19 AM »
If i'd have been told before the game it was going to be a 0-0 i probably wouldn't have been too upset. I thought Leeds were better than that and with our injuries a point wouldn't have been too bad.
But, Leeds were absolutely shite, at least as bad as last season when we beat them 3-0. We're going backwards, we won't have a better chance for 3 away points all season especially with the player being sent off, and we blew it. The injuries we have to the defensive players actually didn't matter yesterday as Leeds were so shit they didn't put us under a lot of pressure anyway.From an attacking sense it was utterly toothless and with the players we have it doesn't add up. You just knew it would end 0-0 once they had one sent off, but it shouldn't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal