collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Catering.....  (Read 35963 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Villa Park Catering.....
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2022, 08:44:03 AM »
I'd be interested to know how we compare with other older grounds such as Anfield and St James, and how they compare with the new grounds.

I'm sure it happens everywhere, but one thing that bothers me is the seemingly thousands of people who spend the whole time milling around the concourses, watching the TVs. My Dad will disappear on 30 minutes, buy two or three pints, pretty much neck them, then return on about 50 minutes. What's the point?

If I could have a pint in my seat, I might consider queuing for 5 minutes or so to get two before kickoff, but I've paid to watch the game. If I wanted to get drunk and watch it on a screen I'd stay at home or go to the pub.
It's about choice. You pays yer money you takes yer choice. It's about having a catch up with old friends who you only ever see on match days. Your dad and many like him (me included) should be able to do this without the excruciating experience of trying to get served. It hasn't improved at all in the 40 odd years I've been going to Villa Park. That's the issue here and for all the good work that's been done by the owners I find it incredible that this hasn't been addressed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:45:21 AM by The Edge »

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2022, 09:14:51 AM »
You could understand it if the people behind the counters were rushed off their feet, but it's the most inefficient set-up for bar service. Lots of walking backwards and forwards looking for cups, or working out what lager is what, ambling around taking so much time to even put a pint on the bar... it's painful to watch.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2022, 09:21:36 AM »
I'd be interested to know how we compare with other older grounds such as Anfield and St James, and how they compare with the new grounds.

I'm sure it happens everywhere, but one thing that bothers me is the seemingly thousands of people who spend the whole time milling around the concourses, watching the TVs. My Dad will disappear on 30 minutes, buy two or three pints, pretty much neck them, then return on about 50 minutes. What's the point?

If I could have a pint in my seat, I might consider queuing for 5 minutes or so to get two before kickoff, but I've paid to watch the game. If I wanted to get drunk and watch it on a screen I'd stay at home or go to the pub.

The game is not shown on the TV monitors in the concourse anymore in the Doug stand I assume to stop just that

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2022, 09:42:49 AM »
I considered going to the concourse such was the heat in the UH. The sun was blasting through the wing glazing on the Trinity side where I sit so I thought it might be worth watching on the screen for 10 minutes for a bit of relief.

We gather under there at HT because many of us sit apart, it would be nice to ruminate with a pint but that's a rarity these days. Two of the lads left their seats on 35 minutes, got five from the front when both barrels went just before the second half started so they gave up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
A lot of the problem is to do with the design of old football stands such as Villa Park, the concourses aren't able to deal with that many thousands of people in a cramped space under the stands. West Ham works for half time service because a lot of the vendors are more or less 'outside' on the ground floor, so there's a lot more room to mill about. Then they have much more segregation in how they sell stuff, so things are quicker. Because Villa have roads down both of the longest sides of the road, it's a lot harder to have an outside offering, like they do at Leeds, for instance.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
Have to say that Saturday in the Upper Holte was the worst I had seen with few catering staff and long queues. I can't believe that for drinks they don't have multi-pourers or just staff constantly pouring pints ready to be taken - dare I say like Rugby. Pouring on demand is slow and cumbersome and ultimately losing the club shedloads of cash. I'm amazed the new ownership haven't got a grip on this. It's fine having better quality food offerings (which come at a price) but again turnaround needs to be upped to make it successful. I got in early for a beer at 11:20 on Saturday and a guy next to me asked for a pie but was told they weren't ready and would take 30 mins...

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »
I didn’t even attempt to get a drink at half time, I just sat in my seat in the upper Holte, dreaming of an ice cold pint.  This first day catering shambles had better not set the precedent for the season.

Offline Risso

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »
Have to say that Saturday in the Upper Holte was the worst I had seen with few catering staff and long queues. I can't believe that for drinks they don't have multi-pourers or just staff constantly pouring pints ready to be taken - dare I say like Rugby. Pouring on demand is slow and cumbersome and ultimately losing the club shedloads of cash. I'm amazed the new ownership haven't got a grip on this. It's fine having better quality food offerings (which come at a price) but again turnaround needs to be upped to make it successful. I got in early for a beer at 11:20 on Saturday and a guy next to me asked for a pie but was told they weren't ready and would take 30 mins...

Another big difference with the rugby is that you can of course go and drink it in your seat once you've bought it, making it less crowded in the concourse.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »

Another big difference with the rugby is that you can of course go and drink it in your seat once you've bought it, making it less crowded in the concourse.

Worst I saw was at Sheff Wed when we won there in the EFL, hatch in the wall, two young girls and a lad talking about Love Island whilst 200 Villa fans waited in a  queue for a drink.... if I was the Wednesday CFO I'd have been fuming

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »
Having read elsewhere that there was possibly a 90p charge for tap water I am also going to put this here.
https://www.popall.co.uk/news-publications/news/another-article-on-free-drinking-water

It not only illegal for licences premises to charge for tap water, it is a legal requirement to supply it on request. I know this from working for Shelter (Avalon bars) at Glastonbury - a bar that is a tent in a field, with customers 5 deep for 8 hours solid - we managed this!

Villa Park’s issue for many of the bars is that not enough consideration was given to the space needed to adequately equip and staff them. We seem to have loads of tiny booths that aren’t designed for many staff or multi pour and lining up pints. Something to consider in the North Stand re-design.

They are also expanding the range and throwing in stuff like wine when they would be better just sticking with basics and doing it well. You could take those little booths with minor re-design & make them a simple ‘pints bar’ with a multi pourer for lager, bitter, cider and just bang them out with only 2 staff at a faster rate than the current 4 pissing about trying to pour on order.

Anything more complicated - go to the larger food bar. If you are there with kids, & need soft drinks, you’ll probably be there for a hot dog anyway.......& honestly, who is going to a football match and not going to buy anything if they can’t have wine?

I’ll also go a bit Flin5tone here and say there is no point in putting up season ticket prices and then throwing away thousands of pounds with terrible catering. Catering can be a massive moneyspinner when done right, and can lose customers when done badly.

The problem with staffing is that it’s a VERY part time job and as such you won’t get a great level of skill or experience, but it is likely to improve a little when students return next month.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:12:10 AM by amfy »

Offline exigo

« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2022, 11:24:25 AM »
The way Purslow has talked about more cosmetic changes to the Holte, I'd imagine effectively moving the Holte Suite out towards the car park will be the way forward – to create a much bigger concourse in the Holte Lower for relatively small works. Having been to the Spurs ground for a gig this summer, the amount of space the home end has for concession stands and bars makes a huge difference.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
That's a good point about students, and also touches on another thing - it's all fine and well having a range of street food-type stuff available but it doesn't seem that popular and takes up space which could be used to sell beer/chips/hot drinks.   .

Offline Risso

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2022, 11:35:57 AM »
Having read elsewhere that there was possibly a 90p charge for tap water I am also going to put this here.
https://www.popall.co.uk/news-publications/news/another-article-on-free-drinking-water

It not only illegal for licences premises to charge for tap water, it is a legal requirement to supply it on request. I know this from working for Shelter (Avalon bars) at Glastonbury - a bar that is a tent in a field, with customers 5 deep for 8 hours solid - we managed this!

Villa Park’s issue for many of the bars is that not enough consideration was given to the space needed to adequately equip and staff them. We seem to have loads of tiny booths that aren’t designed for many staff or multi pour and lining up pints. Something to consider in the North Stand re-design.

They are also expanding the range and throwing in stuff like wine when they would be better just sticking with basics and doing it well. You could take those little booths with minor re-design & make them a simple ‘pints bar’ with a multi pourer for lager, bitter, cider and just bang them out with only 2 staff at a faster rate than the current 4 pissing about trying to pour on order.

Anything more complicated - go to the larger food bar. If you are there with kids, & need soft drinks, you’ll probably be there for a hot dog anyway.......& honestly, who is going to a football match and not going to buy anything if they can’t have wine?

I’ll also go a bit Flin5tone here and say there is no point in putting up season ticket prices and then throwing away thousands of pounds with terrible catering. Catering can be a massive moneyspinner when done right, and can lose customers when done badly.

The problem with staffing is that it’s a VERY part time job and as such you won’t get a great level of skill or experience, but it is likely to improve a little when students return next month.

I'm sure I read that while the water has to be free, an establishment can make a charge to cover other costs, eg the glass, washing it up, rent, staff time etc.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2022, 11:39:38 AM »
That sounds promising  (Holte End alterations/improvements) but Purslow needs to get the catering on track for this season. Prices have  gone up and we have paid out our hard earned cash for this season and we deserve a match day experience that reflects that. I was in corporate a couple of times last season and it was faultless from the start of the day until the finish yet people a few feet away behind a separating wall are experiencing the exact opposite of that. It reminds me of the film Titanic where those in first class luxury were being treated like royalty while those in steerage sat on wooden crates drinking hooch. Seriously though it's just not good enough. We have always been a club who attempts to be the very best in everything associated with our historic football club. The very least we should expect is a press statement from Mr Purslow apologising for Saturdays debacle and an explanation detailing what they intend to do going forward THIS SEASON.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:41:38 AM by The Edge »

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »

For some people it's excessive pricing, for others it's coked-up head cases, a while back it was Doug Ellis, but for me, I will never darken the doors of Villa Park again until I am assured of a decent Châteauneuf-du-Pape. End of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal