collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783962 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4470 on: August 17, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
We do seem to be going down the 'start early and fizzle out' approach to the transfer window again.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #4471 on: August 17, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
We keep being told how rich our owners are but, from reports I’ve been reading, it looks like we are looking for a cheap option to replace Diego Carlos. As far as other possible signings go, we are linked with plenty but, I doubt if I’ve heard of any of them.
If we are really serious about taking the next step up, we really could do with starting to look at players at least double our usual £15/£25 million we pay for players.

nobody other than chelsea/man city/liverpool is chucking that much money on single players and it's a bit of a pickle for the CB situation as we just shelled out almost £30mil on a player who we obviously saw as a mainstay, and will be back next year so do you spend another £30mil for someone else which would definitely unsettle mings and could push konsa out of the door.

I'd guess we still have money to spend on midfield, possibly a forward and so will be looking at cheaper alternatives for CB.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4472 on: August 17, 2022, 06:44:58 PM »
There's no team anywhere whose fans don't think they need another player or two to improve.

Virtually everyone felt that we finished below where we should have done. Most felt we were short of a central midfielder, which we've now got.

To challenge for the league we probably need another 4 to 6 players who would go straight in to the first team.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #4473 on: August 17, 2022, 07:21:46 PM »
We are not done yet, absolutely not.
Players moving out is needed.
I still think we have a blockbuster or two under our belts but they are waiting for better offer because 14th placed aston villa with a rookie manager isn't the best prospect or easiest sell to over seas players. Let's face it a lot of them were not even born the last time we were in Europe.

Time will tell but this squad here is 1 or 2 injuries from relegation and the owners will not let that happen

We signing twelve year olds? We last played in Europe in 2010-11 and managed to beat Ajax in our 2008-2009 European run.

Please don't try and class our two year in a row getting humiliated by the galatians of rapid wiena as European qualification.

A 20 year old was realisticly 6 or 7 the last time we played in Europe proper. As a 7 year old how many matches of sampdoria or monaco do you remember from Europe back then? How is someone from Brazil or Argentina who is a massive hot prospect going to know who we are based on a few European outings interspersed with relegation and a few truly shambolic seasons.

My point was we really need to raise our profile as we have been off the wider European radar for decades and I dont want us to be shopping in the bargain basement for the players like Barkley and Dominic Calverton lewen

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4474 on: August 17, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »
I think the visibility of the PL will ensure that young players know who we are. At the height of Serie A's pulling power we lost two of our best players to Bari.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4475 on: August 17, 2022, 07:45:49 PM »
There's no team anywhere whose fans don't think they need another player or two to improve.

Virtually everyone felt that we finished below where we should have done. Most felt we were short of a central midfielder, which we've now got.

To challenge for the league we probably need another 4 to 6 players who would go straight in to the first team.
Agree 100%.

Don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect Gerrard to improve on last season even without reinforcements - the first team squad is still comprised of players who either haven't reached their peak years yet, or have just entered them.

Time to start showing that we're not just pissing our money up the wall now.

Online IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #4476 on: August 17, 2022, 08:06:51 PM »
Jason Denayer on a free anyone or is that yesterday's news?

richtheholtender

« Reply #4477 on: August 17, 2022, 11:52:22 PM »
We keep being told how rich our owners are but, from reports I’ve been reading, it looks like we are looking for a cheap option to replace Diego Carlos. As far as other possible signings go, we are linked with plenty but, I doubt if I’ve heard of any of them.
If we are really serious about taking the next step up, we really could do with starting to look at players at least double our usual £15/£25 million we pay for players.

nobody other than chelsea/man city/liverpool is chucking that much money on single players and it's a bit of a pickle for the CB situation as we just shelled out almost £30mil on a player who we obviously saw as a mainstay, and will be back next year so do you spend another £30mil for someone else which would definitely unsettle mings and could push konsa out of the door.

I'd guess we still have money to spend on midfield, possibly a forward and so will be looking at cheaper alternatives for CB.

Aren't wolves about to spend £38 million on a portiegyse midfielder? Didn't west ham spend £30 mill on a defender?Haven't forest bid £40 Mill for gibbs white? They're all spending these sorts of funds and more worryingly for me, as I tried to point thr other day, I'd they're doing it without selling to raise the funds......and they're already finishing above us!!!

richtheholtender

« Reply #4478 on: August 17, 2022, 11:58:14 PM »
The owners have set the expectations, not the fans and In my opinion they're failing short of the level of investment to even give themselves a chance. If this was Doug or Lerner that was saying about getting in to Europe having just broke even across the last 3 transfer windows and had a 14th place finish there would be uproar. I forecast peoples opinions will change once we've finished around 9th-14th for the next 2 seasons. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4479 on: August 18, 2022, 12:16:19 AM »
Jason Denayer on a free anyone or is that yesterday's news?

Who is he? He sounds like an actor.

Online charlatan

« Reply #4480 on: August 18, 2022, 12:59:35 AM »
Someone who claims not to be called Jason?

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #4481 on: August 18, 2022, 03:15:48 AM »

For the league!? I think not. Our best player in decades can hardly get on the pitch at Man City.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4482 on: August 18, 2022, 04:18:57 AM »

For the league!? I think not. Our best player in decades can hardly get on the pitch at Man City.

I agree. Even if we bought in four elite players to go into our starting eleven it wouldn’t be enough. It’s as much a squad game now as it’s ever been.

Incremental steps are the order of the day. 

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4483 on: August 18, 2022, 05:52:13 AM »
They’ve got two weeks to sort it out otherwise it’s going to be another mega frustrating season.
Issue currently is our wage ceiling, targets we are after fall outside of that price bracket. Seems we’re holding off to see if demands alter in last two weeks now.

Concern I have is the club seem quite happy with the approach of “if it’s not our main target then we’re happy to walk/away/wait” we won’t sign anyone just to add to numbers sake

Unless we are active with some further quality then I fear for the season for a few reasons. Could easily see a situation where Gerard basically carry’s the can for poor results in winter time as squad quality (midfield) is not good enough for the season expectations

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4484 on: August 18, 2022, 05:53:01 AM »
last season 7 points of 8th place ,  so it is quite tight , I do not think we are a million miles away with a bit more consistency and cohesion .  However not seen anything of that yet 

That doesn't sound like a lot of points to make up, but in reality it (frustratingly) actually is.  We will need all of our players consistently playing at their top level to get that high up the table, and better players in key positions to get any higher.

The reality is also that most of those middle pack team have added 3-4 starters and are stronger

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal