collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 793803 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4500 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »
I've seen a group on Twitter planning to walk out on 90 minutes on the 28th to protest at our lack of transfer activity!  The window won't be closed by then.

Think that was a joke 😂

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4501 on: August 18, 2022, 09:24:39 AM »
Our bench v Palace is likely to have Konsa, Bailey, Ings, Luiz and Coutinho on it. There aren't that many outside the top 4 with that kind of quality/wage bill sitting on the bench.

I agree with this. We had a rocky season after Grealish went, changing managers mid season etc, but whilst id like a couple more, a midfielder and a forward, i still think we have a decent squad. Despite their new signing, i dont see Wolves, Leicester, Palace (might be eating my words after Saturday) Brighton having better squads than us. West Ham yes, but otherwise, we should be competing.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #4502 on: August 18, 2022, 09:34:08 AM »
We keep being told how rich our owners are but, from reports I’ve been reading, it looks like we are looking for a cheap option to replace Diego Carlos. As far as other possible signings go, we are linked with plenty but, I doubt if I’ve heard of any of them.
If we are really serious about taking the next step up, we really could do with starting to look at players at least double our usual £15/£25 million we pay for players.

nobody other than chelsea/man city/liverpool is chucking that much money on single players and it's a bit of a pickle for the CB situation as we just shelled out almost £30mil on a player who we obviously saw as a mainstay, and will be back next year so do you spend another £30mil for someone else which would definitely unsettle mings and could push konsa out of the door.

I'd guess we still have money to spend on midfield, possibly a forward and so will be looking at cheaper alternatives for CB.

Aren't wolves about to spend £38 million on a portiegyse midfielder? Didn't west ham spend £30 mill on a defender?Haven't forest bid £40 Mill for gibbs white? They're all spending these sorts of funds and more worryingly for me, as I tried to point thr other day, I'd they're doing it without selling to raise the funds......and they're already finishing above us!!!

There's been no suggestion we need to sell to raise funds anyway. Forest are going mad in the market cos they've had to replace half a team.

We've already spent 30mil on a defender, and getting Kamara was a massive coup. Lots of the noise appears to be that we are looking at targets but nothing will happen until we move a few on.

There's also still 2 weeks to go so let's just chill out a bit eh.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4503 on: August 18, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »
The last thing we need is more fill ins, we have too many that we can't get rid of already. I thought Ings had his best game for a long time on Saturday and i have been a critic, I still believe we will get one or two in at the death.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4504 on: August 18, 2022, 11:22:11 AM »
The last thing we need is more fill ins, we have too many that we can't get rid of already. I thought Ings had his best game for a long time on Saturday and i have been a critic, I still believe we will get one or two in at the death.
I agree.  I think we're slightly hampered in as much as we have a few players - Traore, Sanson, Guilbert, El Goalzi spring to mind - who are clearly not part of the club's plans, and unlikely to become part of the plans.  Buying more players will risk adding more players to that group - and we're already struggling to get rid of the ones we've got.

That's all added to a rather challenging problem, that there's no point going MON style and buying players who are only as good as the ones we already have - they need to be a noticeable upgrade if we're going to break in to Europe on a regular basis*.

* I think there's a fair argument for saying that there's not *that* much difference in the teams that finish between 7th-14th, and we could realistically qualify for something this season.  However, that same statement equally indicates there's quite a lot of competition for one European place, and so it's far from assured or an easily achievable aim.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #4505 on: August 18, 2022, 12:17:55 PM »
Our bench v Palace is likely to have Konsa, Bailey, Ings, Luiz and Coutinho on it. There aren't that many outside the top 4 with that kind of quality/wage bill sitting on the bench.

I agree with this. We had a rocky season after Grealish went, changing managers mid season etc, but whilst id like a couple more, a midfielder and a forward, i still think we have a decent squad. Despite their new signing, i dont see Wolves, Leicester, Palace (might be eating my words after Saturday) Brighton having better squads than us. West Ham yes, but otherwise, we should be competing.

The thing that I just can't shake off the moment is that we ended last season quite poorly really and now with Carlos injured, the only real addition to that side is Kamara.  Although I feel that defensive midfielder has become an important role in the modern game, it is not one that impacts too much on quality in the final third which is where we increasingly struggled last season. 

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4506 on: August 18, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
Maybe playing our most creative player in Buendia might help that problem. Also a fully fit Bailey.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4507 on: August 18, 2022, 01:03:52 PM »

Exactly

What it does, or certainly should do, is put pressure on the Manager and coaching team to get a tune out of what they have. Formations, tactics and substitute utilisation is clearly required at any level of the game.
I do however have some sympathy for the Carlos injury as he was clearly a better upgrade on what we had and to lose him now is a real problem and not easy to overcome.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4508 on: August 18, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »
I've seen a group on Twitter planning to walk out on 90 minutes on the 28th to protest at our lack of transfer activity!  The window won't be closed by then.

Who are these over entitled wankers - United fans???

Fuck me they need to get a grip

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4509 on: August 18, 2022, 01:20:48 PM »
You would have to be a colossally misguided wanker to protest these owners on a lack of spending or transfer activity. I will say that it will be hugely disappointing if we don’t get anyone else in. My thoughts are that the eerie quiet of it all is leading up to something in the next few days. I’m hoping anyway.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #4510 on: August 18, 2022, 01:30:58 PM »
The type of player we need now is in the £50m category.

They are hard to find, even harder to tempt to come to us because of the lack of top-level football. They all come with the risk of failure too...

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #4511 on: August 18, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »

Who are these over entitled wankers - United fans???

Fuck me they need to get a grip

I think it's a piss take of the bedwetters....90 mins..?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4512 on: August 18, 2022, 01:39:02 PM »
We've already spent 30mil on a defender, and getting Kamara was a massive coup. Lots of the noise appears to be that we are looking at targets but nothing will happen until we move a few on.

There's also still 2 weeks to go so let's just chill out a bit eh.

Well said.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4513 on: August 18, 2022, 02:00:33 PM »
The type of player we need now is in the £50m category.

They are hard to find, even harder to tempt to come to us because of the lack of top-level football. They all come with the risk of failure too...
Yes, or you pay £50mill for £20 mil players

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4514 on: August 18, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
Forest's deal to sign Morgan Gibbs-White from Wolves is apparently £35m, rising to £44m with add-ons.

That seems....a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal