collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 08:01:13 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 07:48:34 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:43:56 PM]

Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 07:41:32 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 07:22:44 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:55:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Lsvilla
[Today at 06:53:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:09:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:09:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:07:53 PM]

[Today at 08:07:17 PM]

[Today at 08:06:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:06:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:04:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 795216 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4485 on: August 18, 2022, 06:12:54 AM »
They’ve got two weeks to sort it out otherwise it’s going to be another mega frustrating season.
Issue currently is our wage ceiling, targets we are after fall outside of that price bracket. Seems we’re holding off to see if demands alter in last two weeks now.

Concern I have is the club seem quite happy with the approach of “if it’s not our main target then we’re happy to walk/away/wait” we won’t sign anyone just to add to numbers sake

Unless we are active with some further quality then I fear for the season for a few reasons. Could easily see a situation where Gerard basically carry’s the can for poor results in winter time as squad quality (midfield) is not good enough for the season expectations

But haven’t you answered your own question there, Vinnie? If the quality isn’t there within our remit, what’s the point adding squad filler. Surely we don’t want to end up with our hands tied so that went a top target within our remit is available we can’t pounce.

First and foremost we need to be doing better with what we’ve got and that is on Gerrard to manage.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:15:20 AM by LeonW »

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4486 on: August 18, 2022, 06:17:35 AM »
They’ve got two weeks to sort it out otherwise it’s going to be another mega frustrating season.
Issue currently is our wage ceiling, targets we are after fall outside of that price bracket. Seems we’re holding off to see if demands alter in last two weeks now.

Concern I have is the club seem quite happy with the approach of “if it’s not our main target then we’re happy to walk/away/wait” we won’t sign anyone just to add to numbers sake

Unless we are active with some further quality then I fear for the season for a few reasons. Could easily see a situation where Gerard basically carry’s the can for poor results in winter time as squad quality (midfield) is not good enough for the season expectations

But haven’t you answered your own question there, Vinnie? If the quality isn’t there within our remit, what’s the point adding squad filler. Surely we don’t want to end up with our hands tied so that went a top target within our remit is available we can’t pounce.

First and foremost we need to be doing better with what we’ve got and that is on Gerrard to manage.

Totally agree. It’s just a concern thinking we won’t get our men in cause at the minute we’re way off from the starting quality we need to really push on this season.
Our rivals have all strengthened - wolves especially

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4487 on: August 18, 2022, 06:32:00 AM »

Totally agree. It’s just a concern thinking we won’t get our men in cause at the minute we’re way off from the starting quality we need to really push on this season.
Our rivals have all strengthened - wolves especially

If we’d have come off the back of a good season, our options would have been different. Last summer Bunedia turned down Arsenal for us as we were looking like progressing. I don’t blame the club for holding off to really shift when the time is right if this is the strategy of the hierarchy. Gerrard has already had significant investment on an already decent squad. We need to see him produce more and then invest on the back of a decent season. People may issues with Ings, Buendia and Bailey, but there’s no way they join us summer ‘22 as opposed to summer ‘21. People forget that Ings was a serious consideration for Spurs and Citeh last summer before we moved. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4488 on: August 18, 2022, 07:03:20 AM »
Ings was a serious consideration for Spurs and Citeh?

Really?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4490 on: August 18, 2022, 07:14:26 AM »
Ings was a serious consideration for Spurs and Citeh?

Really?

Yes https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/danny-ings-tottenham-transfer-harry-kane-future-southampton-striker-1102295

And yes https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12253648/transfer-news-man-city-interested-in-danny-ings-as-sergio-agueros-potential-successor-this-summer
There are hundreds of these types of articles written, if people want to believe them then fine.
What we do know is that he was a “serious consideration “ for Villa because we signed him.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4491 on: August 18, 2022, 08:02:46 AM »
Some of the challenge is that out of the 3 30m signings last summer only 1 starts per game

Like one of the poster said above it’s a difficult sale to players this year as it doesn’t look  like we’re going anywhere exciting currently.

Also - we know SG would want to replace a lot of the players and that has had to be discussed at the time of the appointment. 

It’s pointless being in a manager who works in one way and then not let him work in that way

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4492 on: August 18, 2022, 08:17:52 AM »
Our bench v Palace is likely to have Konsa, Bailey, Ings, Luiz and Coutinho on it. There aren't that many outside the top 4 with that kind of quality/wage bill sitting on the bench.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4493 on: August 18, 2022, 08:25:51 AM »
We keep being told how rich our owners are but, from reports I’ve been reading, it looks like we are looking for a cheap option to replace Diego Carlos. As far as other possible signings go, we are linked with plenty but, I doubt if I’ve heard of any of them.
If we are really serious about taking the next step up, we really could do with starting to look at players at least double our usual £15/£25 million we pay for players.

nobody other than chelsea/man city/liverpool is chucking that much money on single players and it's a bit of a pickle for the CB situation as we just shelled out almost £30mil on a player who we obviously saw as a mainstay, and will be back next year so do you spend another £30mil for someone else which would definitely unsettle mings and could push konsa out of the door.

I'd guess we still have money to spend on midfield, possibly a forward and so will be looking at cheaper alternatives for CB.

Aren't wolves about to spend £38 million on a portiegyse midfielder? Didn't west ham spend £30 mill on a defender?Haven't forest bid £40 Mill for gibbs white? They're all spending these sorts of funds and more worryingly for me, as I tried to point thr other day, I'd they're doing it without selling to raise the funds......and they're already finishing above us!!!
Think people are cottoning on to that, they can't just keep peppering clubs with bids.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4494 on: August 18, 2022, 08:26:00 AM »
I think this could turn out to be one of the busiest transfer deadlines for years (for most clubs in our league), not necessarily in terms of fees paid but I can see lots of loan moves with options or obligations.

There will be players who fear for spots at the World Cup if they aren’t playing that will be looking to move on & clubs will take it to the wire to sign other teams fringe players ie Traore / El Ghazi / Sanson for us to get the best deal possible.

In the ideal world there would be a couple of incomings before deadline but they have to be worthwhile signings not squad fillers & personally I have no issue if they are permanent or loans with the option to buy. 

As Drummond said most clubs from 5th downwards still think they need 2/3 more in so it should be a very active market & a good few deals that have not even been mentioned yet will get done.

Never get why the deadline is so far into everyone’s season, should be start of August

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #4495 on: August 18, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »
I just can't believe people are starting to criticize the owners and their spending.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #4496 on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:08 AM »
I've seen a group on Twitter planning to walk out on 90 minutes on the 28th to protest at our lack of transfer activity!  The window won't be closed by then.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4497 on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
If we can't get players to improve the first 11 then there is no point. I would back the club here if they cannot sign players who are no better than what we already have. It is frustrating but fingers crossed we can sign one or two players who will help take us up a level (I live in  hope).

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #4498 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:01 AM »
I've seen a group on Twitter planning to walk out on 90 minutes on the 28th to protest at our lack of transfer activity!  The window won't be closed by then.
90 minutes? Do they want to be stuck in traffic on the Lichfield Road for an hour?

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4499 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:27 AM »

Probably those who leave early anyway to get the train before the game ends.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal