collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 780557 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4455 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:00 PM »
last season 7 points of 8th place ,  so it is quite tight , I do not think we are a million miles away with a bit more consistency and cohesion .  However not seen anything of that yet 

That doesn't sound like a lot of points to make up, but in reality it (frustratingly) actually is.  We will need all of our players consistently playing at their top level to get that high up the table, and better players in key positions to get any higher.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4456 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:52 PM »
Without any evidence or rationale for my view but I’m wondering if this is the man Citeh moment all over again.  This time Newcastle.  Add to that Grealish going when he did knocked the stuffing out of us to the degree where the ambitions may have been downgraded.  The squad is not as good as it appears.

I think the squad is pretty decent, the main problem at the moment is that very few players ever seem to be in great form and too infrequently do we look better than the sum of our parts. The teams with similar squad quality to us have a more clear identity/style, which is either because their managers have been there for much longer, or because they have better managers, or both.

I'm referring to Palace/Brentford/Brighton and probably Newcastle as well, but obviously Howe came in at the same time as SG.

And yet we took 6 points off Brighton and 4 points off Palace last season. Brentford are Brentford to us, which hopefully we’ll correct this season.

Im not saying we don’t need to continue to improve our squad, i think we need to add a couple more players to try and break that top 8/top 6 this season, but God we really do like to talk other clubs up sometimes.

Those couple of players are going to need to be world class to break the top six.

We haven't broken the top half of the table for over a decade, let alone the top six or eight.

I said top 8/6.

You have Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and now Arsenal that look miles away, who else is miles and miles in front of us after this, if we added another couple of quality players. Leicester currently are not what they were, West Ham have been  better than us and maybe again, but also may be in a period of transition. Newcastle will be thereabouts, but this season they shouldn’t be miles ahead of us, next season and the season after may be a different matter. Manure are a car crash currently and not assured a top 6 finish by any means.

Then you have us, Palace, Brighton, Wolves who want to move into the territories currently or previously occupied by Wolves, West Ham, Leicester etc.

We had a poor season last year, but we have some good players and don’t think we should presume teams like Brighton, Wolves, Palace etc will be better than us.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4457 on: August 17, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »
Has Traore gone?

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #4458 on: August 17, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »
Call me old fashioned but surely possible
for our coaching team to get more out of current cohort rather than spunking out more on transfer fees.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #4459 on: August 17, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »
Call me old fashioned but surely possible
for our coaching team to get more out of current cohort rather than spunking out more on transfer fees.

I'm old fashioned as well then!  This for me too.
McGinn is a strange one, he's seen as someone the "bigger" clubs might try and buy and SG has made him skipper, whereas most of us that watch us all the time think he was really poor for most of last season, and he was horrendous against Bournemouth.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4460 on: August 17, 2022, 01:05:02 PM »
It’s not binary - we need the coaching staff to get more out of what we have, but we also need some quality additions.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4461 on: August 17, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »
We are not done yet, absolutely not.
Players moving out is needed.
I still think we have a blockbuster or two under our belts but they are waiting for better offer because 14th placed aston villa with a rookie manager isn't the best prospect or easiest sell to over seas players. Let's face it a lot of them were not even born the last time we were in Europe.

Time will tell but this squad here is 1 or 2 injuries from relegation and the owners will not let that happen

We signing twelve year olds? We last played in Europe in 2010-11 and managed to beat Ajax in our 2008-2009 European run.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4462 on: August 17, 2022, 01:38:32 PM »
Well we had 10 points from 11 games when Smith was potted, so highly possible we'd have been in a relegation battle as well.

It's very difficult to tell over that small a sample. For example, we still had two games against each of Norwich, Burnley, Leeds. With the margin that small, the 14 points we picked up against these very poor teams under Gerrard makes a huge difference to his points per game, and maybe skews the data a bit. In a league this competitive, matches where we are clear favourites to win are few and far between.

We certainly improved under Gerrard initially, but we have only got 12 points from our last 11 games, so it is very difficult to measure exactly how much better we have got. Hopefully, our next 11 will yield the 16/17 points we need to be averaging to get in the top 8 this season. It's certainly possible, but we need to improve quickly or we will give ourselves too much to do.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4463 on: August 17, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »
7-8 points would’ve been easier if we hadn’t taken 1 point from Brentford (admittedly 1 more point than  usual), 0 points at home or away to Watford, 0 points against Wolves, 0 points against West Ham, all teams we should be beating or aspiring to beat to get to where we supposedly belong. 

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4464 on: August 17, 2022, 02:07:32 PM »
7-8 points would’ve been easier if we hadn’t taken 1 point from Brentford (admittedly 1 more point than  usual), 0 points at home or away to Watford, 0 points against Wolves, 0 points against West Ham, all teams we should be beating or aspiring to beat to get to where we supposedly belong. 

Absolutely. But as if to articulate how difficult it is to compare Smith and Gerrard last season, the total that Smith got from those games was more than Gerrard got in those reverse fixtures (albeit Smith had the majority at home, while Gerrard had them away).

Comparing them isn't very helpful, it turns out. The only thing that matters is whether Gerrard is going to get us into the top 8 this season, and where we need to strengthen the squad to enable him to do that. I was pretty confident a month or so ago, and now I'm back to being worried. We need a couple of wins and a couple of signings to get a bit of enthusiasm going again, or it could be a hard slog until the World Cup break.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #4465 on: August 17, 2022, 02:55:33 PM »
On our showings so far, I don’t think we’re anywhere near to finishing top 8. We still need another outstanding midfielder and a striker that’s going to get us 15/20 goals a season.
Talksport had 12 minutes to update transfers but must have used up 9 of those minutes talking about Manure. Nothing ever changes and, of course, Villa weren’t mentioned at all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4466 on: August 17, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »
On our showings so far, I don’t think we’re anywhere near to finishing top 8. We still need another outstanding midfielder and a striker that’s going to get us 15/20 goals a season.
Talksport had 12 minutes to update transfers but must have used up 9 of those minutes talking about Manure. Nothing ever changes and, of course, Villa weren’t mentioned at all.

Somebody's got to finish top 8 though, and outside of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal there doesn't appear to be much in it. The teams who finished 6-8 last season were Man U, West Ham and Leicester, none of whom are in great shape so far this season. After that it was Brighton and Wolves in 9th and 10th, and Gerrard got more points than all of them except Leicester and Man U during the 27 games he was in charge.

Offline Delboy Villan

« Reply #4467 on: August 17, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »

I'm old fashioned as well then!  This for me too.
McGinn is a strange one, he's seen as someone the "bigger" clubs might try and buy and SG has made him skipper, whereas most of us that watch us all the time think he was really poor for most of last season, and he was horrendous against Bournemouth.
[/quote]

McGinn needs a couple of games on the bench for our fans to think he is a World beater? Sansom is great now he isn't in the squad?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4468 on: August 17, 2022, 03:50:38 PM »
I think the gap between 10th and 6th in the premiership is bigger than the gap between mid table championship club and 10th in the premiership to make up
That’s why you need the right squad and right manager everything has to be pretty much rolling in the right direction

I think the squad is good enough to break into the top half this season
In fact I’m hoping for a bit more but then I always am

Offline Skerra

« Reply #4469 on: August 17, 2022, 05:52:57 PM »
We keep being told how rich our owners are but, from reports I’ve been reading, it looks like we are looking for a cheap option to replace Diego Carlos. As far as other possible signings go, we are linked with plenty but, I doubt if I’ve heard of any of them.
If we are really serious about taking the next step up, we really could do with starting to look at players at least double our usual £15/£25 million we pay for players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal