collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 780573 times)

Offline coreyfeldman

Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4440 on: August 17, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
Without any evidence or rationale for my view but I’m wondering if this is the man Citeh moment all over again.  This time Newcastle.  Add to that Grealish going when he did knocked the stuffing out of us to the degree where the ambitions may have been downgraded.  The squad is not as good as it appears.

I think the squad is pretty decent, the main problem at the moment is that very few players ever seem to be in great form and too infrequently do we look better than the sum of our parts. The teams with similar squad quality to us have a more clear identity/style, which is either because their managers have been there for much longer, or because they have better managers, or both.

I'm referring to Palace/Brentford/Brighton and probably Newcastle as well, but obviously Howe came in at the same time as SG.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #4441 on: August 17, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
And Howe is far superior to SG, IMO. 

I think we are suffering from the owners putting faith in our CEO and his fan boy pick.  I'll be really delighted to be wrong and eat lots of humble pie, but I don't think it will end well for SG at Villa, and maybe not Purslow by association.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4442 on: August 17, 2022, 10:32:19 AM »
We're talking Palace up as expecting top ten, they were one of the favourites to go down at the start of last season and it's not like they've been buying loads of players. If anything losing Gallagher has made them weaker, and they've got a manager with less experience than our inexperienced manager.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4443 on: August 17, 2022, 10:43:46 AM »
Without any evidence or rationale for my view but I’m wondering if this is the man Citeh moment all over again.  This time Newcastle.  Add to that Grealish going when he did knocked the stuffing out of us to the degree where the ambitions may have been downgraded.  The squad is not as good as it appears.

I think the squad is pretty decent, the main problem at the moment is that very few players ever seem to be in great form and too infrequently do we look better than the sum of our parts. The teams with similar squad quality to us have a more clear identity/style, which is either because their managers have been there for much longer, or because they have better managers, or both.

I'm referring to Palace/Brentford/Brighton and probably Newcastle as well, but obviously Howe came in at the same time as SG.

And yet we took 6 points off Brighton and 4 points off Palace last season. Brentford are Brentford to us, which hopefully we’ll correct this season.

Im not saying we don’t need to continue to improve our squad, i think we need to add a couple more players to try and break that top 8/top 6 this season, but God we really do like to talk other clubs up sometimes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4444 on: August 17, 2022, 10:46:45 AM »

And yet we took 6 points off Brighton and 4 points off Palace last season. Brentford are Brentford to us, which hopefully we’ll correct this season.

Im not saying we don’t need to continue to improve our squad, i think we need to add a couple more players to try and break that top 8/top 6 this season, but God we really do like to talk other clubs up sometimes.

Those couple of players are going to need to be world class to break the top six.

We haven't broken the top half of the table for over a decade, let alone the top six or eight.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #4445 on: August 17, 2022, 10:54:59 AM »

I'm not talking them up, I'm just using them as one example as they finished above us last year, and IMO are similar to use in ambitions for this season. Those teams I just used as comparatives as they finished above us and I'd like to think we are able to finish above them this year.

Just my opinion but what I've seen so far of Viera, he's done a better job of SG. Albeit with more time in post absolutely, but he had to buy half a new team and as you say they were tipped to go down and finished above us.

I guess my original point was that I agree the squad is more than good enough to be pushing to the top 8, but I wonder if the manager is getting the most of the players.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #4446 on: August 17, 2022, 11:01:22 AM »
We have added a free transfer (admittedly one who looks great), a backup left back and keeper, and a now-injured centre back, to the side who finished with 2 wins in 12.

At face value there’s not much to suggest we should be much higher than 14th again.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #4447 on: August 17, 2022, 11:11:45 AM »
I also don’t agree with the view that we’re one or two players from really challenging the top 4-6.

I think most / all of our front 6 are not of that level (maybe except Kamara, but very early days).

I like the building blocks we’re putting in place, am excited to see some of our younger players come through, and an optimistic about Kamara, Buendia and Bailey this year, but I think in assessing SG in particular sone of us are at risk of deeming anything less than 7-8th as failure when I really don’t think it is.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4448 on: August 17, 2022, 11:19:12 AM »

Those couple of players are going to need to be world class to break the top six.

We haven't broken the top half of the table for over a decade, let alone the top six or eight.

Agreed.  The stated ambition / plan is Europe, so we do need those players to arrive soon. 

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4449 on: August 17, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »
To be honest - unless a lot more incomings I think 10th - 12th would be a good achievement for SG.  Lets be honest, its only those associated with the club that takes our stated aims seriously - noone else is looking at us a threat to the establishment.  I wonder how much is just PR

I think Phil, Emi x 2, maybe Kamara and Ramsey if he continues to develop could be top 6 players.  That said, at one point I thought Konsa could be top quality
I think the rest are mid table quality - and likely at their ceilings - hence why I was so surprised that McGinn became captain, as I think we need that to move on.

I cant see SG going anywhere anytime soon - I think we have to hope that he works it out sooner rather than later.  Everton gave us something to work on

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4450 on: August 17, 2022, 11:38:43 AM »
We're talking Palace up as expecting top ten, they were one of the favourites to go down at the start of last season and it's not like they've been buying loads of players. If anything losing Gallagher has made them weaker, and they've got a manager with less experience than our inexperienced manager.

Must be Vieira's 33.33% win percentage since he took over that's impressing everyone.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4451 on: August 17, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »
last season 7 points of 8th place ,  so it is quite tight , I do not think we are a million miles away with a bit more consistency and cohesion .  However not seen anything of that yet 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4452 on: August 17, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »

Must be Vieira's 33.33% win percentage since he took over that's impressing everyone.

In the 27 games in the league that Gerrard was in charge for this year, he got 35 points, 9th in the form table. Not brilliant, but still better than the 33 points that West Ham and Palace got, and the 34 that Brighton got. The only team that punched above their weight during that time were Newcastle with 44.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #4453 on: August 17, 2022, 12:28:38 PM »

It's 4% less than SG and it was widely remarked that they'd be going down cos they had to sign half a new team last season.

In any rate,  I only mentioned Palace cos they finished above us last year and I think we have a better squad than them so was using an example. Not saying Viera is the messiah but he certainly has done a decent job for them considering.  I think anyways

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4454 on: August 17, 2022, 12:30:28 PM »
Well we had 10 points from 11 games when Smith was potted, so highly possible we'd have been in a relegation battle as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal