collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 530339 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #675 on: June 12, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
I don't really understand why the Perry Barr flyover got removed. I just can't see how it's going to make the traffic situation better.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #676 on: June 12, 2022, 10:04:08 AM »
I think I meant how should it work for the Commonwealth Games?

Andy Street's got a magic carpet.
Sadly that is the answer I expected.

Om a vaguely serious note, there was supposed to be a park & ride, a bus sprinter lane from the city centre and upgrades to Perry Barr station.
The new Perry Barr station looks a right state. Also, wasn't the former UCE site opposite One Stop meant to have been the athlete's village, but then part way through construction it wasn't?
You're right the athletes village idea was abandoned half way through construction. The absolute mess they have made of the removal of the Perry Barr flyover and subsequent re-organising of the road layout doesn't look likely to be ready for the games. Therefore the Sprint bus won't be up and running. There were signs up at the junction specifying a completion date for January 22. Those were removed in February. Piss up and brewery are two words that spring to mind.

In fairness Birmingham was already disadvantaged by taking on the games at a late stage, & then covid hit. It’s had a massive impact on construction.
That said, given when work actually started, I’d have abandoned the flyover demolition and put those construction resources into finishing the athletes village. They actually also put loads of resources into upgrading University stations so they could use university accommodation, & again, diverting that to go full pelt at the athletes village would have seemed a better idea - but  tbf, I know bog all about construction so maybe that wasn’t an option.

Online amfy

« Reply #677 on: June 12, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »
I don't really understand why the Perry Barr flyover got removed. I just can't see how it's going to make the traffic situation better.

They have experience of removing flyovers and underpasses in the city centre which haven’t had a massive effect on traffic flow. That flyover in the middle of a residential area is an eyesore & is the boundary between the worst postcode wars in the city. No other radial route from the motorway has it & I know they are all slow, but I actually think wanting to keep it is like a form of Stockholm syndrome for the residents.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #678 on: June 12, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »

They have experience of removing flyovers and underpasses in the city centre which haven’t had a massive effect on traffic flow. That flyover in the middle of a residential area is an eyesore & is the boundary between the worst postcode wars in the city. No other radial route from the motorway has it & I know they are all slow, but I actually think wanting to keep it is like a form of Stockholm syndrome for the residents.
I can't see any benefit to the local area having removed the flyover. I'd be all for it if it helped with traffic problems on matchdays but it just a bit too far away. All they're doing is creating a huge junction with lots of traffic lights. There is one small gain though and that is when you come out of One Stop at the bottom exit you can actually turn right towards the city centre which you couldn't do before.

Online amfy

« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2022, 02:34:42 PM »

I can't see any benefit to the local area having removed the flyover. I'd be all for it if it helped with traffic problems on matchdays but it just a bit too far away. All they're doing is creating a huge junction with lots of traffic lights. There is one small gain though and that is when you come out of One Stop at the bottom exit you can actually turn right towards the city centre which you couldn't do before.
Junctions like that exist on every other radial route & haven’t needed a monstrosity of a flyover in the middle. Would we go the other way and build flyovers at the junction of Bristol Road with Highgate Middleway, or at The Kings Head in Bearwood? We wouldn”t, & there’s a reason for that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »

Junctions like that exist on every other radial route & haven’t needed a monstrosity of a flyover in the middle. Would we go the other way and build flyovers at the junction of Bristol Road with Highgate Middleway, or at The Kings Head in Bearwood? We wouldn”t, & there’s a reason for that.

If you mean Belgrave Middleway there's a tunnel there. 

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »

If you mean Belgrave Middleway there's a tunnel there. 
I think she means the route in/out of town. The tunnel is on the ring round.

Online amfy

« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2022, 03:30:23 PM »
I simply mean we wouldn’t put these things in now, which is an indicator of why it’s a good thing to take them out, although I did forget the tunnel on the ring road, I think flyovers are more intrusive because they are more in the sight line.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2022, 03:38:05 PM »
I simply mean we wouldn’t put these things in now, which is an indicator of why it’s a good thing to take them out, although I did forget the tunnel on the ring road, I think flyovers are more intrusive because they are more in the sight line.

I agree, but that particular tunnel is essential. Scrapping the Perry Barr one has always seemed a typical Birmingham 'Be nice when it's finished' move.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2022, 03:40:06 PM »
I don't have a big problem with tunnels, we should have more of them, but flyovers are shit other than for motorway junctions and even then they should be avoided wherever possible. Pretty much my only exception is Spaghetti and that's sentimental rather than practical. They just cut communities in half and create barriers.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #685 on: June 12, 2022, 10:51:54 PM »
Where we really need a tunnel - a proper underground one - is under Great Charles Street.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #686 on: June 13, 2022, 08:22:45 AM »
Where we really need a tunnel - a proper underground one - is under Great Charles Street.

Yes! Would make the JQ part of the city centre.

The mayor should be all over that. I’ve heard he’s useless though (from people who work with him).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 09:52:06 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #687 on: June 13, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »
In the 60's Birmingham along with other cities adopted the principle of car on top people below.  Thankfully that now seems to be reversed.  Plus, I like tunnels as everything seems to move freely.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #688 on: June 13, 2022, 12:03:17 PM »
The only problem with tunnels is that any accident/breakdown has a bigger impact than on normal roads.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #689 on: June 13, 2022, 12:43:10 PM »
I went to watch England in Marseille and was shocked by the amount tunnels. One in particular goes from the centre right to the football stadium and it's further than Brum centre to VP so a tunnel isn't as ludicrous as it sounds.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:45:07 PM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal