collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 529750 times)

Online Kevin Dawson

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2022, 05:09:27 PM »
Bruce Springsteen and Rolling Stones overrated?! What is wrong with you people!

Saw Springsteen and the E Street band at Wembley a few years back whilst the missus was pregnant with Lamptey jr - One of the greatest live acts I've ever seen! Arrived without a setlist and was just pulling requests out of the crowd, for a set which went on for well over 3 hours without a break!

On a similar note, I was reared on the Rolling Stones by my dad, and finally got the opportunity to watch them live, travelling to Anfield the other night. Yes they're old (slightly older than the nipper's grandparents!), but they're absolute legends of British Rock n Roll and I won't hear any other word said about it!
Sixty years they've been going for - How many bands will ever have that longevity ever again? I'd hazard a guess the answer will be ZERO! Yes, they look like the Walking Dead, but to still be performing (and have the desire to) at their ages is something to behold. Jagger's exploits strutting and running around the stage would put most of us middle-agers to shame.

Also - Back on topic... Having not visited Anfield since my younger days, I'd forgotten how 'small' the place feels compared to Villa Park. The 'mighty Kop' pales in comparison to our Holte End, and take their main stand out of the equation and it's average at best.

One thing which is IMMENSELY better than VP are the support staff in and around Anfield - The way they handle crowds/turnstiles/food and beer counters is lightyears away from what we suffer with. THIS is an area that we need to look at before any bulldozers come in imo, as the match day experience is pretty fecking shocking at Villa Park tbh.

I was surprised how good the Stones were when I saw them a couple of years ago.  I thought they'd be too old but it was a great show.  I've seen Springsteen a couple of times.  He's a great showman and as you say he plays for hours.  They had to pull the plug out on him at Hyde Park as he went past the curfew.

Green Day are very good live, an excellent show and great front man, but they do the same chat and gimmicks every time.  But worth it if you get the chance.

But I stand by my comment on the Foo Fighters, the greatest band (still playing) out there.  Dave Grohl is a brilliant front man and they are fantastic live.  I've seen them 3 times and was looking forward to seeing them at the best staium in the world.

I agree. Jones and Page were on the second night at Wembley. Dave Grohl was very emotional describing it as 'the greatest night of my f***ing life'. Amazing concert.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2022, 05:20:04 PM »
In fairness, they are a drummer down.

Given it was a few months ago now I wasn't sure whether they were still going ahead as a tribute.
No.  They've announced a tribute show in London, but no mention of a wider tour yet.

I've seen the Foo Fighters live three times they are brilliant band.
The greatest rock ond roll band on the planet Darren.

I agree. I had a seat behind the dugouts for Villa Park. The last time I tried to see them was Wembley in 2015, when Dave Grohl inconveniently broke his leg a couple of weeks before and they cancelled several gigs (not surprisingly). Haven't see them since the second night at Wembley in 2008........
Shame they cancelled the whole tour, but quite understandable. I'm hoping to get tickets for the Wembley Tribute show....

Wimps, captain sensible played the Damned tour days after breaking ribs by playing the gigs sat on a toilet!
That's rock  n roll!

Bobby Womack did an encore from his dressing room when his legs we’re playing him up after a show.

I was at that gig at the Philharmonic Hall - Liverpool
It was evident from the start of the gig that Bobby wasn`t well
True performer though he gave it his all
It was the last chance I got to see him perform

Paul Ince was sat in the seat directly in front of me - I struggled to see Bobby on stage as Paul Ince has the thickest neck I have ever seen :)

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #662 on: June 11, 2022, 05:23:55 PM »
can we rename this thread please 😃

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2022, 05:52:27 PM »

Back on topic I'd love to see Metallica, who really are the greatest band still playing out there, at Villa Park with Geezer making an appearance.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #664 on: June 11, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »
Getting away from music for a bit, what are people's thoughts on the transport issues at VP?

If the trains won't come then maybe some other way of getting people moving quickly before and after games, provided by the club. I know buses were provided during at least part of the Randy years. Whether that could be re-introduced and scaled up, I don't know.

One other thought I did have was related to Elon Musk's Boring Company (edit: for those that don't know they dig tunnels). Maybe a direct connection from VP to the city centre. In truth, it would likely be prohibitively expensive and not get approval from the local authorities.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this or alternatives?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #665 on: June 11, 2022, 07:19:26 PM »
To avoid a quotathon:

Transport is perhaps the most contentious issue affecting matchday. The club know it's a problem, they're trying to do something about it but there's a total lack of joined-up thinking from the relevant authorities.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2022, 08:33:39 PM »
To avoid a quotathon:

Transport is perhaps the most contentious issue affecting matchday. The club know it's a problem, they're trying to do something about it but there's a total lack of joined-up thinking from the relevant authorities.
How is it working for the Commonwealth Games? Surely that would set a precedent of what should be implemented.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #667 on: June 11, 2022, 08:47:16 PM »
To avoid a quotathon:

How is it working for the Commonwealth Games? Surely that would set a precedent of what should be implemented.

It's not working. The Sprint isn't ready, the park & ride at Great Barr isn't ready, the tram extension into Wolverhampton station isn't ready. So yeah, precedent set.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #668 on: June 11, 2022, 09:04:59 PM »
I think I meant how should it work for the Commonwealth Games?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #669 on: June 11, 2022, 09:08:04 PM »

Andy Street's got a magic carpet.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #670 on: June 11, 2022, 09:11:31 PM »

Sadly that is the answer I expected.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2022, 09:16:46 PM »

Om a vaguely serious note, there was supposed to be a park & ride, a bus sprinter lane from the city centre and upgrades to Perry Barr station.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »

Om a vaguely serious note, there was supposed to be a park & ride, a bus sprinter lane from the city centre and upgrades to Perry Barr station.
The new Perry Barr station looks a right state. Also, wasn't the former UCE site opposite One Stop meant to have been the athlete's village, but then part way through construction it wasn't?

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #673 on: June 11, 2022, 09:31:53 PM »

Back on topic I'd love to see Metallica, who really are the greatest band still playing out there, at Villa Park with Geezer making an appearance.

Correct BV. We're seeing them at Firenze Rocks next weekend. Not quite Villa Park but an acceptable part of the world.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #674 on: June 12, 2022, 09:46:16 AM »

The new Perry Barr station looks a right state. Also, wasn't the former UCE site opposite One Stop meant to have been the athlete's village, but then part way through construction it wasn't?
You're right the athletes village idea was abandoned half way through construction. The absolute mess they have made of the removal of the Perry Barr flyover and subsequent re-organising of the road layout doesn't look likely to be ready for the games. Therefore the Sprint bus won't be up and running. There were signs up at the junction specifying a completion date for January 22. Those were removed in February. Piss up and brewery are two words that spring to mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal