collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 10:20:18 AM]

Steven Gerrard - Our Manager by LeeB
[Today at 10:19:21 AM]

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread by LeeB
[Today at 09:53:11 AM]

EFL Cup (2nd Round: Bolton [A]) by darren woolley
[Today at 09:50:05 AM]

Bertrand Traore - Signed by algy
[Today at 09:47:17 AM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by LeeB
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

Other Games - 2022/2023 by LeeB
[Today at 09:19:23 AM]

Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match by Ads
[Today at 07:39:17 AM]

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 12154 | Comments: 2

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 36213 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 38602 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 34355 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 33614 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Ings - signed  (Read 60783 times)

Online aj2k77

Re: Danny Ings - signed
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
He turned 30 2 weeks ago.  He is younger than Vardy, Antonio, Welbeck, Mahrez, Firmino, Mane, Callum Wilson, the same age as Salah & Son and 1 year older than Harry Kane, Lukaku and Bamford.

He plays older than all of them, and you can add Klinsmann, Klose, Batistuta and Pele to the list. He's breathing out of his rectum after 40 minutes. He's a grandpa.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 18.05.2023
« Reply #886 on: August 10, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »
He turned 30 2 weeks ago.  He is younger than Vardy, Antonio, Welbeck, Mahrez, Firmino, Mane, Callum Wilson, the same age as Salah & Son and 1 year older than Harry Kane, Lukaku and Bamford.

He's had a lot of bad injuries in his career which have impacted his mobility. He needs others to do the running for him these days, which is a poor fit for Gerrard ball. I think he needs to find a club where they play two up front and he can play just off the front man a bit like Robbie Keane used to. Not many clubs playing that way these days though.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »

He plays older than all of them, and you can add Klinsmann, Klose, Batistuta and Pele to the list. He's breathing out of his rectum after 40 minutes. He's a grandpa.

His first-born only came into the world a few months ago.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #888 on: August 10, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »

His first-born only came into the world a few months ago.

Bing is coming along well, already kicking a football.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #889 on: August 10, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »

He's had a lot of bad injuries in his career which have impacted his mobility. He needs others to do the running for him these days, which is a poor fit for Gerrard ball. I think he needs to find a club where they play two up front and he can play just off the front man a bit like Robbie Keane used to. Not many clubs playing that way these days though.

His best season at Southampton was when he played lead striker. I watched a video yesterday of his goals that season and I can't recall ever seeing such a strange mix of goals, pouncing on defensive/keeper errors, 6 yard finishes, near post headers, one on ones, clever one-twos, penalties and a few crackers from outside the box. The one thing I did like, a real favourite of my mine, he generally buries the ball in the corner of the net. Sign of a top striker. Angel did the same.

Technically he's a good player, back then he had a bit of pace but as you said, he has suffered several injuries and maybe it's catching him up. He won't offer what Watkins does, chasing the ball around all day but he can make a run for somebody to thread a ball through. He's an intelligent footballer though he needs to give urgent work to breaking the offside trap. I lost count how many times he was caught on Saturday.

If he can do that I have him ahead of Watkins to play with the likes of Coutinho and Emi B threading the ball through or playing quick one-twos. After Saturday the big question is have we abandoned the tricky, working it through the middle for banging it in from the wings. SG mentioned post match our crossing was poor and needs to improve. If that's the plan I don't see much purpose in keeping Ings around. He prefers the ball to his feet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #890 on: August 10, 2022, 01:28:54 PM »
Thought he was lively first 20 minutes before fading.

Feeling persists though that for various reasons he's just never going to score many goals for us, as said above looks completely different for us to what he was doing for Southampton under Hasenhuttl between serious injuries.

Think turning point last season was that disallowed goal v Man. United. He'd just slotted in a really good finish at Brentford so if that had been given it could've sparked a decent second half of the season.

He's scored about 5 goals in 12 months when you think he started last season with 2 in his first 2 games so he's going to be blocking Archer's path before too long.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2023
« Reply #891 on: August 10, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
One myth about Ings is he doesn't work as hard as Watlins.  If you watch him he's incredibly hard working, he's just not as quick.  He's better at holding the ball up and linking up play and he's a better finisher. 

But he's not doing my campaign to convince people much good with the way he's playing at the moment.  The whole team was awful on Saturday including Ings.  He could argue the service was poor, but I still expect a player of his quality to have more impact.  He was pretty quiet pre-season too.

I think part of his problem Saturday was he was trying too hard, dropping too deep to make things happen rather than keeping his discipline and staying in and around the box if our tactic was just to chuck balls in.  It was always going to be tough with 3 hulking centre backs taking the space, but seemingly that was Critchleys master plan.

Ultimately I just think Ings is a better all round player than Watkins, but we need to pay to his strengths.  I don't think this necessarily means it has to be two up top, but we do need to get players closer to him.  He can work well as a poacher and I also think he can play the Firmino false 9 roll if that's what we're after - certainly he's clever enough on the ball to link with 10's running beyond him.  But if we just want to punt hopeful balls for someone to run on to and then miss the one on ones this sometimes creates, Watkins is your man.

But I suspect his chances to impress are running out.  He wasn't great last season and I'd expect Watkins to get the nod on Saturday.  It's a shame if we can't make it work, it will always feel like what could have been for me. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #892 on: August 10, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
But I suspect his chances to impress are running out.  He wasn't great last season and I'd expect Watkins to get the nod on Saturday.  It's a shame if we can't make it work, it will always feel like what could have been for me. 

What chance does he have if he's dropped after one game? If that's the case it's better to get rid.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #893 on: August 10, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
Everyone has opinions - personally I think Ings' reputation as a good finisher is over rated - we certainly haven't seen much evidence of it to date.

Ultimately with strikers it's about goal scoring and the stats are clear.

Ings has scored more 10+goals in only 3 premier league seasons (only 1 beats Watkin's best).
Watkins has 10+ in both his seasons to date.

In the championship, Ings' best season was 21 goals vs Watkins' 25.

Of course, if there was a n other world class striker out there then both would probably pale in comparison.

But working with what we've got and and taking into consideration Watkins age and general career improvement over recent years then I don't really understand why we see Ings as anything other than useful back up.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2022, 03:19:20 PM »
Everyone has opinions - personally I think Ings' reputation as a good finisher is over rated - we certainly haven't seen much evidence of it to date.

Ultimately with strikers it's about goal scoring and the stats are clear.

Ings has scored more 10+goals in only 3 premier league seasons (only 1 beats Watkin's best).
Watkins has 10+ in both his seasons to date.

In the championship, Ings' best season was 21 goals vs Watkins' 25.

Of course, if there was a n other world class striker out there then both would probably pale in comparison.

But working with what we've got and and taking into consideration Watkins age and general career improvement over recent years then I don't really understand why we see Ings as anything other than useful back up.
based on those stats he isnít even that

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2022, 06:34:12 PM »
Ings will not impress when played alone up front - that's never been his strength. At Burnley and Southampton, he fed off a strong, tall classic 9 type - I actually feel really sorry for him because from the get go, we have not played to his strengths.

Get Peter Withe back and we would see the real Ings! 

Offline ez

« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2022, 06:48:17 PM »
The injuries have caught up with him. He's too slow now and can't play a whole game. Pity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal