collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21386 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2021, 12:00:09 PM »
The state of Molineux Mix, FFS

We're having our "best season ever". How many times have they finished above us in the last 50 years?

This is the pain they have of realising their little stint of being better than us for the first time since the 1950s, is over.

Mind the gap, mind the gap Aston Villa is now safely filed with Pride of the Midlands, We Know What We Are and the tides turning.

In the big folder named "They took a swing and missed".

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »
I completely agree with the decision to sub Jack.  The game was finished - result not in doubt - a few minutes left to play and obviously tiredness beginning to creep in.  Jack had just had a little bit of "afters" with Shelvey and it only needed him to make a challenge that was a fraction late or something similar and it would be a yellow card and out of the Burnley match. Far better to upset him and bring him off and be available for Turf Moor than to be sitting in the stands for 90 minutes that night.
Hadn’t really thought of that, but think you have nailed why they took him off. Just need to get him and Targett through the next two games without a booking and the slate is wiped clean I think.
In terms of goalies, I’ve seen Rimmer albeit sparingly in the early 80s, through Spink, Poole, Butler, Bozzie, Sorensen, Carson, James, Friedal, Guzan, Given, Collini, Nyland, the fat sub fella, Steer, Heaton, there’s probably a few I’ve missed.
Not fair to judge them all to the same criteria as some weren’t there long enough, or like Heaton got badly injured. Bozzie was always my favourite, but as mad as it sounds, only 17 games in, Martinez is fast becoming my favourite ever villa keeper. He just never looks like he’s  not going to catch a cross, his long range passing is mostly sublime, he also seems to be a key character in the dressing room and seems to love playing for us.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
Guazan was mostly awful. Couple of good saves here and there, but he certainly was never top drawer. His career trajectory after leaving us has been strictly down hill, and he's still only 36.

Agreed. Apart from a flurry of penalty saves he was absolute shit in a Villa shirt.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Guazan was mostly awful. Couple of good saves here and there, but he certainly was never top drawer. His career trajectory after leaving us has been strictly down hill, and he's still only 36.

Agreed. Apart from a flurry of penalty saves he was absolute shit in a Villa shirt.

Me too, pile of shite.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2021, 12:04:40 PM »
Even if Ollie wasn't behind the defender (he looked offside to me to be honest) he still ended up onside because he didn't challenge the defender, and being further away than the defender from the player crossing the ball, it couldn't be argued that he was interfering with him or blocking his view. So unlike midweek, the decision tonight was spot on, as the defender played the ball to him.

If Rodri had stayed 6 feet away from Mings last week, and Mings had given the ball to him, Rodri would have been onside. If Watkins had tried to tackle Schär, he'd have been offside, as Rodri should have been judged to be last match.
this is absolutely correct. Why are people having trouble understanding this it is clear in black and white. No need for interpretation or further clarification.

It absolutely isn't.

The only reason that Newcastle defender desperately threw himself at the cross was because he knew Ollie was behind him. If that's not interfering with play we might as well as go home.

The actual fact was Ollie just wasn't offside, at all, because he was behind the ball when it was played. It's pretty much the most basic element of the offside rule.

If Watkins had not been behind the ball when it was kicked, he should have been offside.

The Offsite rule states A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area)

The defender did not know that Watkins was onside or offside and had to play the ball to try and prevent Watkins scoring.  Watkins would have been gaining an advantage.  In a similar way, Rodri should have been offside.  Both are different to a defender making a back pass that goes to the attacker, for which the rule (I believe) was intended.

Interpretation of the rules are made up by officials, pundits and other 'experts' as they go along.  I think the FA should come out with a detailed explanation of each rule with as many different examples of each situation and publish videos of each that football from top to bottom could learn from.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2021, 12:08:43 PM »

We're having our "best season ever". How many times have they finished above us in the last 50 years?

Wolves Jack might actually be retarded. Or 11 years old.  One of the two.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »

They clearly watch us a lot.

They've got more than 2 or 3 who are championship standard yet Grealish lifts them. Hause! Watkins isn't all that good. Has potential. Konsa - Championship. Luiz been very ordinary this season

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »
Guzan was a good shot stopper for a period of time but his domination in the air was poor for most of the time and with the ball at his feet, he was poor all of the time.  Goalkeeping has changed completely over the years with the changes in rules.  Also, the changes in balls has changed the way keepers save shots.

The days of seeing Colin Withers to now are light years apart.  Still remember the days when it was unusual to see a keeper being able to kick the ball much further than the halfway line and that was from hand.  Keepers were a lot tougher as they were less protected by the rules and the interpreting of the rules but keepers these days are far fitter and more agile.

I like Martinez as he is big, strong and agile.  Probably not the best in any of those categories but is very good in each.  He reminds me more of an older style keeper than the modern type.  It could be due to being from South America.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »
Guzan was a good shot stopper for a period of time but his domination in the air was poor for most of the time and with the ball at his feet, he was poor all of the time.  Goalkeeping has changed completely over the years with the changes in rules.  Also, the changes in balls has changed the way keepers save shots.

The days of seeing Colin Withers to now are light years apart.  Still remember the days when it was unusual to see a keeper being able to kick the ball much further than the halfway line and that was from hand.  Keepers were a lot tougher as they were less protected by the rules and the interpreting of the rules but keepers these days are far fitter and more agile.

I like Martinez as he is big, strong and agile.  Probably not the best in any of those categories but is very good in each.  He reminds me more of an older style keeper than the modern type.  It could be due to being from South America.

Guzan ended up losing his confidence as did a number of other players in the Lambert years due to our poor results.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »

Guzan ended up losing his confidence as did a number of other players in the Lambert years due to our poor results.

Was it Guxzan who's kicking was completely shit. Did he not always hoof it straight out for a throw.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2021, 12:40:30 PM »
Watching this back on Sky now. The move for Watkins disallowed goal was fucking brilliant and was almost the double of Louie Barrys goal against Liverpool.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »
I felt for Bruce a bit, he just looked and sounded lost, broken. He must have millions in the bank, you sometimes wonder why he puts himself through it. The game has moved on and left him well behind. He's make a good pundit I reckon.
I agree he does not need to be humiliated just to pile up more cash.
Yes he does talk a good game and will do well on the punditry circuit however even that has moved on now and dominated by recent ex-players.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
Watching this back on Sky now. The move for Watkins disallowed goal was fucking brilliant and was almost the double of Louie Barrys goal against Liverpool.
I've just watched it too (extended highlights are up on Villa TV now). Mings showing what he can bring to our party with a loop around the back of Targett, receiving the pass and getting his head up before picking the perfect pass into Grealish. Lovely move.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »
I dont think Grealish should ever be subbed. it's like brazil subbing pele, you dont do it...unless he's got a hatrick and you want to give him the standing ovation from the fans, however in an empty stadium? in front of the TV I was as incredulous as Jack.

And if he had pinged the tight hamstring that Deano said he had during the week and missed the next six games?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2021, 01:03:01 PM »
Watching the second goal again, Newcastle had every player in their box at the moment Traore shot. Eleven players failing to come even remotely close to laying a glove on either Grealish having two touches and Traore one. They look fooked.
Carragher laboured the point that the Barcodes were dreadful at closing down their opponents.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal