collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21419 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
Back to the game.  I don’t think we got out of 2nd gear but didn’t need to against a pretty woeful, dispirited team. Marvellous had his best game for us, not a pass out of place! Konsa MOTM, what a player he will become if he’s this good now. I don’t want to gripe after a win but overall, 2nd half especially we were far too sloppy at times.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
Guzan had a really good spell in the side where he seemed to save everything. I'm not too sure about him being 'mostly awful'  but he definitely wasn't top drawer either.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
Guzan was mostly decent. Wouldn’t describe him as "top drawer" but certainly far from awful, until the Annus Horribilis.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
Guazan was mostly awful. Couple of good saves here and there, but he certainly was never top drawer. His career trajectory after leaving us has been strictly down hill, and he's still only 36.
I didn’t rate Friedel much. Apart from an outstanding game at Old Trafford once I don’t remember him making great saves all the time

Offline Astnor

« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
Guazan was mostly awful. Couple of good saves here and there, but he certainly was never top drawer. His career trajectory after leaving us has been strictly down hill, and he's still only 36.
I didn’t rate Friedel much. Apart from an outstanding game at Old Trafford once I don’t remember him making great saves all the time
Friedel was over the the top when with us; too slow IMO.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
I completely agree with the decision to sub Jack.  The game was finished - result not in doubt - a few minutes left to play and obviously tiredness beginning to creep in.  Jack had just had a little bit of "afters" with Shelvey and it only needed him to make a challenge that was a fraction late or something similar and it would be a yellow card and out of the Burnley match. Far better to upset him and bring him off and be available for Turf Moor than to be sitting in the stands for 90 minutes that night.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »
Guzan's best for us was miles better than Friedel's best. His worst for us was miles worse.

They were both more good than bad. But neither anything close to what Martinez is currently showing.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2021, 11:31:14 AM »
Yep I saw that with Voldemort ,  I think he was a bit frustrated with his performance ( still bloody good). Made sense

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »

I wasn't a fan either. Always looked very small in the goal. Another one who wouldn't leave his goal line even with a hurricane behind him. Guzan certainly had a very decent spell for us under Lambert early on, keeping Given out of the team. But by the end he was a horror show like most in that team. Felt sorry for him when Lambert tried his playing out from the back philosophy, skating around like end line like bambi on ice.

Martinez is a different level to anyone else we have had since Bosnich. Just his presence alone is improving all those in front of him.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »
The state of Molineux Mix, FFS

We're having our "best season ever". How many times have they finished above us in the last 50 years?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:41:34 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »
Tbf most their fans joined them 3 years ago so to them this is our "best season ever".

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »
Tbf most their fans joined them 3 years ago so to them this is our "best season ever".

Quite and that 7 points ahead ignores that we’ve got two games in hand.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »
The state of Molineux Mix, FFS

We're having our "best season ever". How many times have they finished above us in the last 50 years?

This is the pain they have of realising their little stint of being better than us for the first time since the 1950s, is over.

Mind the gap, mind the gap Aston Villa is now safely filed with Pride of the Midlands, We Know What We Are and the tides turning.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:50:12 AM by Ads »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »

Quite and that 7 points ahead ignores that we’ve got two games in hand.

And that we've won 20 trophies and had as many top 6 finishes as they had fans in the 4th division.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »
Jack just hated coming off. I love that desire

Acting the maggot I thought, should have showed Ramsey a bit of encouragement not behaving like a spoiled child. Barkley not much better.

It was a hard enough watch in truth. Newcastle were worse than any of us even thought possible. Our back five were solid, Konsa and Targett in particular. Watkins very sharp and Nakamba justified his inclusion with a solid performance. Didn't like Luiz further forward and Barkley still struggling for fitness. Our midfield play was in the main slow and sloppy.

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 8, Mings 7, Targett 8, Luiz 5, Barkley 5, Traore 6, Nakamba 7, Jack 7, Watkins 8.

A 'hard watch'?  We've spent the last 10 years being shit, with shit players, hoofing the ball up field and more often than not losing.

If watching Villa cruise a win over a team who last season were well above us, completely in control, occasionally thowing in some cracking little pieces of skill, having the commentators praising us and never looking like conceding is a hard watch, then I hope for plenty more hard watches over the next few years because I bloody loved it.
Amen. We are witnessing the best Villa team in a long time who play some amazing football yet we have fans who just look for negatives? I just don't understand some of our fans.

What's more, with the number of fixtures coming up, an easier run out was just the ticket.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal