collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431521 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Ollie Watkins
« Reply #2655 on: March 16, 2023, 06:07:39 PM »
Southgate is the MON of the England men's team. The strengths he has help him overcome his weaknesses right up to the crucial final step - but it's those weaknesses which stop him from taking that.

Mind you, a couple of penalties away from the Euros is not a terrible record, or down to the coach at all really.

It is down to him as his team should never have had to go to penalties. He's a liability.

That Italy team were on a proper roll, going to penalties with them was hardly like some sort of disgraceful cup upset. They were the favourites!
Though we were 1-0 up after a minute, at home in a packed Wembley. And, led by Southgate, the team failed to register another single shot on target.

I absolutely agree.  We have never had a better chance and Southgate managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.  The yes man of all yes men.  Articulate and clean, which is why the FA stick with him.  We are creativeless, unimaginative and yet we have the strongest league in the world.  Go figure.   Southgate is a failed ****** who managed one tournament win with the kids. Wanker.
Yep.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2656 on: March 16, 2023, 06:22:13 PM »
Glad Watkins not in the squad. If he got injured in a 10 minute cameo, we'd be stuffed.

Very good point. Thank you Gareth, love you.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2657 on: March 16, 2023, 06:44:46 PM »
The yes man of all yes men.  Articulate and clean, which is why the FA stick with him.

Well...also because he's never done badly enough to warrant his removal and there hasn't been an obvious alternative at any point when he would have been replaced.

Turn that on its head Dave.  What on earth did he actually do to warrant getting the job in the first place?  There are plenty of others out there who would fancy the role, I'm sure, but England is for the English, it seems with this FA.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2658 on: March 16, 2023, 06:59:58 PM »
The yes man of all yes men.  Articulate and clean, which is why the FA stick with him.

Well...also because he's never done badly enough to warrant his removal and there hasn't been an obvious alternative at any point when he would have been replaced.

Turn that on its head Dave.  What on earth did he actually do to warrant getting the job in the first place?

Be willing to take it? After Hodgson and then the Allardyce debacle the FA couldn't find anyone, considering the mess that the England setup was in at the time.

Even Southgate refused to take the job at first.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #2659 on: March 16, 2023, 07:50:34 PM »
So there was actually no need to leave Tonev out of the World Cup squad?

Offline Taylor

« Reply #2660 on: March 16, 2023, 07:52:00 PM »
If Southgate leaves the England job, he might be on the look out for a job in club management. I think he’s fine where he is, nowhere near Villa Park.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2661 on: March 16, 2023, 08:56:26 PM »

Tonev should be left out of all World Cup squads. Unless you need to send a ball into outer space during the opening ceremony

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #2662 on: March 16, 2023, 09:32:12 PM »

Tonev should be left out of all World Cup squads. Unless you need to send a ball into outer space during the opening ceremony

The anti-Diana Ross.  Quite a twosome.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2663 on: March 16, 2023, 09:53:02 PM »

The anti-Diana Ross.  Quite a twosome.

Salah did his tribute of the Diana Ross penalty the other day didn't he.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2664 on: March 16, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »
Southgate is the MON of the England men's team. The strengths he has help him overcome his weaknesses right up to the crucial final step - but it's those weaknesses which stop him from taking that.

Mind you, a couple of penalties away from the Euros is not a terrible record, or down to the coach at all really.

It is down to him as his team should never have had to go to penalties. He's a liability.

That Italy team were on a proper roll, going to penalties with them was hardly like some sort of disgraceful cup upset. They were the favourites!

The same Italy team that 6 months later failed to qualify for the World Cup? England under Southgate have generally been mind numbingly dull despite him having so long and so much talent to play with.

I refer the Hon. Gent. to my earlier statement:

It's why I said 'on a roll' - believe me I know all about the bizarre collapse thereafter.

Indeed you cleansed yourself of all sins with reply to my vindictive post. Forgive RCF for he’s not to be blamed for the fact the Portugal is couple of hours behind UK or should be.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2665 on: March 16, 2023, 10:01:45 PM »
Both of the following are true:

1) Southgate has done a perfectly decent job as England manager
2) Southgate could have done a better job as England manager
1 is like being praised for finding a bucket of water in the middle of an ocean.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2666 on: March 16, 2023, 10:10:09 PM »
Glad Watkins not in the squad. If he got injured in a 10 minute cameo, we'd be stuffed.

Very good point. Thank you Gareth, love you.

There is still a chance of Watkins being called up to the squad with players becoming available after the weekend matches.
Chief causes would be injury.
That inevitably happens.
Even so Gregg Evans technically got it wrong with his Watkins and Mings call up
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:26:20 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2667 on: March 16, 2023, 10:27:26 PM »
I’m just so irritated by the selection and this is what I just programmed on Alexa

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=talking+heads+life+during+wartime&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

I don’t know if it works for anybody else but I feel better.

Online Meanwood Villa

« Reply #2668 on: March 16, 2023, 10:45:29 PM »
I’m just so irritated by the selection and this is what I just programmed on Alexa

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=talking+heads+life+during+wartime&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

I don’t know if it works for anybody else but I feel better.

Great version of a great song

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2669 on: March 16, 2023, 11:04:33 PM »

Turn that on its head Dave.  What on earth did he actually do to warrant getting the job in the first place?  There are plenty of others out there who would fancy the role, I'm sure, but England is for the English, it seems with this FA.
I can't stand the FA or Southgate as a coach but it's a fact that no country has ever won the World Cup with a foreign coach.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal