collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 12:08:38 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:07:48 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 12:06:48 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 27, 2024, 11:55:44 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:52:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[April 27, 2024, 11:48:51 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[April 27, 2024, 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 466919 times)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1590 on: February 10, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »
He just wants to score. A lot of the goals we score are because of his good movement pulling players out of position with a good viable run and our excellent number 10s spotting a better placed player instead to score. Watkins is just disappointed not to get the chance to score.

Same happened to Morelos at Rangers when they adopted the new system. (I read it somewhere).

As long as the team score, there is nothing to worry about.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #1591 on: February 10, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
It's clear that Ollie hasn't been as good this season. Maybe it is the pressure of Ings being there, I don't know. In fairness he scored a lot of goals last year with Ratboy and Traore on the wings, this season we have barely ever played with two proper wingers creating those sorts of chances.

Last night I felt his link up play was ok, and his movement/pressuring did lead to chances or the opposition conceding possession. My biggest complaint was that two or three times decent balls came into the box for him and he was a yard off the right position to knock them in. I'm totally guessing here but maybe the lack of service has meant he's lost faith the ball will come into those areas, and he's lost that cutting edge to get on the end of those crosses. Fingers crossed with Digne being a much better crosser than Targett, and Cash seemingly improving his crossing too we will see Ollie back among the goals.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1592 on: February 10, 2022, 12:15:33 PM »
I think Watkins benefited from having Grealish last season. Grealish’s dribbling naturally pulled defenders out of position giving Watkins more space and time on the ball, and the extra seconds he seems to need to finish a chance. The stats seem to back this up, of his 14 goals last season, 11 were with Grealish in the team, 3 were without. He’s showing no signs of getting used to Gerrard’s style, so he needs to get with it, or move on. He was terrible last night, I’d have subbed him on the hour and brought Ings on.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1593 on: February 10, 2022, 04:00:33 PM »
It might be purely a form thing. He's too good and too young to write off and I like Ollie a lot.
But right now, he's not doing the things he's probably in the side to do, which is keep the ball, run the channels and bring our midfield into play and do that as much as scoring himself. He has made some space, but Ings would do that just by making runs.

For me Ings could potentially be having a field day playing ahead of Beundia and Countino. In theory you don't need the front man holding things up effectively, if one of our attacking mids does that. Ings is wily when he gets between CH and FB. He makes good runs and will finish a chance. He'll also make more intelligent runs. He'll touch the ball a lot less than Watkins (generally) but right now, Watkins isn't getting much of the ball either.

Ings' turn. In theory he could be fired up and a bit more determined to take his chance. Likewise Watkins when he gets a shot again. Ings' last start up top by himself was his best game for us.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1594 on: February 10, 2022, 04:18:19 PM »
There were a couple of balls last night that went all the way across their six yard box which I would have fancied Ings to have got himself on the end of.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1595 on: February 10, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
There's no chance we would get 50 million off arsenal , he's looking a 15 million player .he needs dropping and Ings to start next game ,it would do them both good .

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1596 on: February 10, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »
It might be purely a form thing. He's too good and too young to write off and I like Ollie a lot.
But right now, he's not doing the things he's probably in the side to do, which is keep the ball, run the channels and bring our midfield into play and do that as much as scoring himself. He has made some space, but Ings would do that just by making runs.

For me Ings could potentially be having a field day playing ahead of Beundia and Countino. In theory you don't need the front man holding things up effectively, if one of our attacking mids does that. Ings is wily when he gets between CH and FB. He makes good runs and will finish a chance. He'll also make more intelligent runs. He'll touch the ball a lot less than Watkins (generally) but right now, Watkins isn't getting much of the ball either.

Ings' turn. In theory he could be fired up and a bit more determined to take his chance. Likewise Watkins when he gets a shot again. Ings' last start up top by himself was his best game for us.

Agree with all of this and I'd be amazed not to see Ings start v Newcastle

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1597 on: February 10, 2022, 06:57:52 PM »
Ollie made a great run bringing the defender with him to open up the space for Ramsey's second last night.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1598 on: February 10, 2022, 07:08:18 PM »
There were a couple of balls last night that went all the way across their six yard box which I would have fancied Ings to have got himself on the end of.

I said as much to my brother at the time, that if Ings had been on the pitch, one or both of those two would have been put away.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1599 on: February 10, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »
For me it has to be Ings. He's a proven PL goalscorer and the one who can best take advantage of Digne's crossing and Coutinho's creativity.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1600 on: February 10, 2022, 08:23:48 PM »
Shouldn't start against Newcastle. He's been poor for too long.

Offline ez

« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2022, 08:31:56 PM »
I expect Ings will start the next game but he really needs to step up.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2022, 08:36:47 PM »
Ings needs half a dozen starts up front. Watkins is struggling for form, you can see him getting frustrated.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1603 on: February 10, 2022, 08:38:00 PM »
Another one missing the space created by the Rat.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1604 on: February 14, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
We really have some numpties following us. https://twitter.com/DG_Reformed/status/1493273702523412486

A self-proclaimed 'Social Media Influencer' with 225 followers. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal