collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 467620 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1605 on: February 14, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »
We really have some numpties following us. https://twitter.com/DG_Reformed/status/1493273702523412486

A self-proclaimed 'Social Media Influencer' with 225 followers. ::)

I saw that earlier as well. What a twat.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1606 on: February 24, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »
Gerrard said on online comment about Watkins and him responding to it:

"We all live in a world where social media has grown, platforms have grown, TV companies. There are more people following the games.
You are not going to keep every person happy every single game. It's normal for people to criticise, point fingers and be fickle.
If you're a player and you go looking for that I'm sure you’ll find it. I'm not saying stop social media, I'm not saying that but, if you're on social media and you're looking for negative comments and you don't feel good about them, then you've probably got yourself to blame"

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1607 on: February 26, 2022, 11:04:10 PM »
Important goal today - hopefully he relaxes a bit now.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1608 on: February 27, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
There's one or two comments on the main thread saying how poor he was yesterday. Not everything he did came off but I thought he ran his arse off. He was everywhere and deserved his goal.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1609 on: February 27, 2022, 08:25:20 AM »
Last season it surprised me how good he was up front on his own, the ball stuck to him and he shielded the ball well. He was strong and had a great touch. His touch has deserted him this season. He said so himself after the match that he felt he had a bad game and hopes the goal gives his game a lift.

You can’t fault his commitment though and he does work very hard all the time and is crucial to how we play.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1610 on: February 27, 2022, 09:09:30 AM »
He’s more of a worker than a naturally gifted player but when he’s happy and working hard the goals come, he appears to really beat himself up when he goes a few games without scoring.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1611 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
A great goal by Ollie! Hopefully that will give him the confidence to really push on in the upcoming games.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1612 on: February 27, 2022, 09:32:07 AM »
He's not having the best of seasons but has still scored something like 20 goals in 60 Premier League appearances.  I hope the goals come in gluts and he has a better end to the season than the start.  On his day, when he looks less sulky, he can be excellent.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1613 on: February 27, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »
Last season it surprised me how good he was up front on his own, the ball stuck to him and he shielded the ball well. He was strong and had a great touch. His touch has deserted him this season. He said so himself after the match that he felt he had a bad game and hopes the goal gives his game a lift.

You can’t fault his commitment though and he does work very hard all the time and is crucial to how we play.

His role last season, and the touch required to play in that role was different.  Last season it was more about making the ball stick, laying it off simply and then moving into another position to get on the end of things.  This season, we seem to be trying to zip it about a bit more in the final third, lots of one-touch, quick touch, triangles and so on, and that sort of inter-play seems to be where he's struggling most.  That's not to say he can't do it, or isn't up to it, I just think it's an adjustment he hasn't 100% got to grips with yet.  He's still probably the hardest working forward in the league (which is important in Gerrard's formation, esp yesterday helping keep Lamptey quiet), and he still presents a goal threat, so I'll never complain when I see him in the line-up.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1614 on: February 27, 2022, 09:43:38 AM »
That’s a good point Smithy, also the Ings factor which has unsettled him I’m sure. When a new partnership doesn’t work straight away the pressure is on.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #1615 on: February 27, 2022, 09:50:40 AM »
I like Ollie, but I do question his attitude when other players score.
Ings was celebrating as soon as Matty's goal went in, Ollie seemed to be having a conversation with Matty along the lines of "you should have passed to me" and not a smile nor congratulatory hug to be seen.
You're not the only goal scorer in the team son, show a bit of pleasure when others get one too.

Offline ez

« Reply #1616 on: February 27, 2022, 10:10:20 AM »
I like him. Even in his poor run of form he's still our best bet for a goal. I don't understand the criticism he gets when there's another striker who contributes even less and gets away with it.

Online Pete3206

« Reply #1617 on: February 27, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »
There's one or two comments on the main thread saying how poor he was yesterday. Not everything he did came off but I thought he ran his arse off. He was everywhere and deserved his goal.

Completely agree. He put in a great shift.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1618 on: February 27, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »
I like Ollie, but I do question his attitude when other players score.
Ings was celebrating as soon as Matty's goal went in, Ollie seemed to be having a conversation with Matty along the lines of "you should have passed to me" and not a smile nor congratulatory hug to be seen.
You're not the only goal scorer in the team son, show a bit of pleasure when others get one too.

He always does that. It's a bit "Ronaldo-y" but I'll cut him slack this time cos he beat the Villa crest on his heart after he scored, right in front of the Villa fans. I'm fickle like that.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1619 on: February 27, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »
Took his goal well, difficult to judge his effort throughout as his first touch is not particularly good.  Yes he did run around a lot but what worries me is that he holds back in 50/50s.  Is that a typical modern day footballer perhaps?

I'm not smitten on him but I still think he is our best option with through balls from the magician and Buendia.  Very surprised Gerrard started the two strikers yesterday tbh it didn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal