collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431195 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1575 on: February 10, 2022, 07:24:15 AM »
Does not seem to be on the same wavelength as other player around him. Often not in the correct position, lacking anticipation  and too slow to react to a developing situation. There is something wrong with him at the moment.

Whilst JJ have clicked with Phil straight away, Ollie doesn’t seem to be able to read what Phil’s going to do

Julian Joachim was quick, but this is a bit of a stretch.
Julian Joachim only stopped playing during the first lockdown. Made a bit of a second career for himself as a journeyman striker for non-league clubs.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1576 on: February 10, 2022, 08:16:05 AM »
Ollie seems a bit lost at the moment.

At times last night I saw the 11 on his back and thought I was watching a former number 11

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1577 on: February 10, 2022, 08:56:22 AM »
Don’t know what’s going on here but he looks devoid of confidence, lacks any edge or sharpness and looks totally lost.

Offline cdward

« Reply #1578 on: February 10, 2022, 09:00:34 AM »
He never seems happy when a team mate scores. There's definitely something not right.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1579 on: February 10, 2022, 09:32:55 AM »
I notice that, every fucking time we score and its not him. Which is odd as he does a huge amount of work off the ball.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1580 on: February 10, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
Don't forget he was very close with Dean Smith and he's his man. Watkins is a fantastic player just the system isn't helping him and the lack of service and support to him means he has to play as some sort of hold up man or go off in search of the ball as he gets very isolated .

We need players far closer to him and when he does have that he can really play some quality football.
The goal threat as a whole is an issue not just Watkins. We don't infer the shots and force opposing goal keepers into saves.
It's 3 goals yesterday yes but not much else telling from open play.
Digne had a great opportunity created by Mings and there is a lot expected in the wide areas to provide which is frankly lacking hence Digne coming in.
Also our final ball particularly Buendia is lacking. Coutinho brought in to improve that and with Bailey to be a must coming into the team there is hope Watkins can get some joy.
Personally I have him drop wide some games and ings up front with the magician in the middle 3.

Offline django

« Reply #1581 on: February 10, 2022, 09:51:44 AM »
He just wants to score. A lot of the goals we score are because of his good movement pulling players out of position with a good viable run and our excellent number 10s spotting a better placed player instead to score. Watkins is just disappointed not to get the chance to score. He knows his goals have dropped off, he’s probably worried about not having done enough to impress since Gerard’s arrived, and he knows we’ve got another good if underperforming striker in Ings.

He was probably hoping/expecting to improve on his goal return this season and I reckon he knows he’s under a bit of pressure and his confidence is low.

I know he’s not scored for a while but I thought his performances were still good up until the two Man U games, although his effectiveness has generally been nullified by the ineffective partnership with Ings. After a while the lack of goals becomes an issue in terms of confidence however well you’re playing and that seems to be where he is at the moment.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1582 on: February 10, 2022, 10:03:25 AM »
Ollie may be a superstar one day, but I seriously fear it won't be for us.

I feel he's been mostly poor all season and showed nothing again last night.  I'll be dissapointed if Ings doesn't start the next game.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #1583 on: February 10, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »
While readying myself for witness protection, Watkins had a hand in all three goals yesterday. First one he makes a forward run that takes both centre backs away, creating space for Coutinho, then drops off giving himself a clear sight of goal and Coutinho the option of a pass. Second he stretches the defence by shifting wide right, creating space and giving an alternative pass option. Third his run opens up the entire right side for Ramsey to have fun in. I get he's not scoring enough, but it's clear he's being asked to stretch defences and, last night at least, that's what he did. Not claiming he was MotM, just that he's not playing as badly as is being suggested.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1584 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
While readying myself for witness protection, Watkins had a hand in all three goals yesterday. First one he makes a forward run that takes both centre backs away, creating space for Coutinho, then drops off giving himself a clear sight of goal and Coutinho the option of a pass. Second he stretches the defence by shifting wide right, creating space and giving an alternative pass option. Third his run opens up the entire right side for Ramsey to have fun in. I get he's not scoring enough, but it's clear he's being asked to stretch defences and, last night at least, that's what he did. Not claiming he was MotM, just that he's not playing as badly as is being suggested.

All of which is true, but when the ball was anywhere near him he looked miles off the pace.

He's definitely not the player he was last season.  I'm not sure what's gone wrong.  It's not a disaster as he's still helping the team, as you rightly point out, but he's not progressing how we all hoped.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1585 on: February 10, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »
I couldn't help think last night, do we need an out and out striker as such? or would an Archer type striker be more suited to how we play now?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1586 on: February 10, 2022, 10:30:28 AM »

Agreed, but that does suggest that he's turning into a faster version of Davis

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1587 on: February 10, 2022, 10:44:08 AM »
Right, I've rewatched.  He has no involvement in the first, his movement doesn't shift a defender and has no impact on the player facing up Coutiinho.  For Ramseys first Watkins isn't involved in the slightest.  He doesn't even break into a sprint to try and get into position for a pass, rebound or deflection.

He makes a fantastic run for the third which undoubtedly made the space for Ramsey.  So I'll give you one out of three.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1588 on: February 10, 2022, 10:44:13 AM »
he's turning into a hard working non goal scoring striker the best version of that we've got we loaned out to Forest

Online Simon Page

« Reply #1589 on: February 10, 2022, 11:03:18 AM »

Right, I've rewatched.  He has no involvement in the first, his movement doesn't shift a defender and has no impact on the player facing up Coutiinho.  For Ramseys first Watkins isn't involved in the slightest.  He doesn't even break into a sprint to try and get into position for a pass, rebound or deflection.

He makes a fantastic run for the third which undoubtedly made the space for Ramsey.  So I'll give you one out of three.

On the first, the defender "facing" Coutinho is miles away and pointing to Watkins to tell his partner to cover him - which he doesn't do effectively. The pair at the back don't know whether to get close or drop off. For me, on the second he takes the right position and - whether because of that or just coincidence - the Leeds defence are shifting to their left leaving acres of space which Coutinho and Ramsey exploit brilliantly. What I'm saying is the team is set up to open spaces for the likes of Coutinho to play world class passes into which requires Watkins to stretch the back four. I don't know for certain what he is being asked to do, but suspect it's that. We see time and again space being opened up because of the way the forward players interact and make runs.

I'd love him to score more, and he's not doing what we have seen him do previously. I just think he's being over-criticised to the extent that his good work is getting ignored.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:05:57 AM by Simon Page »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal