collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 463539 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1560 on: January 27, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »

pretty much this, I think you have to judge the attack as a unit when it comes to goals, if the mix of Watkins, Ings, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Traore get 35-40 and we get 20ish from the rest of the team then we'll be in the mix for Europe. Our problem right now is that the whole group is behind on that target, goals from defence and midfield are fine though and I suspect we'll make that 20 easily.

Hmmm, no so sure.

The forwards are really going to have to go some to get anywhere near that. So far with 21 games out of 38 down, as a bunch they're on 14. Even to get the low end of that estimate (35), they would need 21 goals out of 17 games. I reckon Watkins will end up on about 9 or 10, so 4 or 5 more, Coutinho could get half a dozen maybe when up to speed, and Buendia another 3 or 4. Obviously Bailey is anuknown at this stage depending on if/when he's fit again.

The problem area is midfield. 3 each for McGinn and Ramsey, and that's it. Not too bad for them personally, but we could do with the midfield as a whole at least doubling that. It's why we need that holding midfielder, to let the attacking midfielders (and the other forwards) do a lot more attacking.

Without wanting to go all 'Moneyball' on it, and assuming your defence is okay (not spectacular, just okay), then you typically need around 60-65 goals in a season to challenge for Europe, and near 70 or more to challenge for Champions League places.  How you get those goals is up to you.  You can look to your centre-forwards to get you 20+ (very rare), or you can spread it around a bit across the whole of the attacking unit - which for us is realistically 5 players on the pitch at any one time, and probably 8/9 in the squad.  Plus the defenders chipping in with a couple from set-pieces.

I'd love us to get a 20+ a season goal scorer to spearhead our attack, but I also don't think it's absolutely essential to get where we want to be.  The way we play currently it's more important that our central striker is contributing to the whole attacking unit, while also chipping in with a few goals.  You can obviously argue that Ollie doesn't contribute enough to the attacking unit (his control lets him down sometimes so moves break down, and his decision making is sometimes suspect), but I think he's a really good fit for the type of player we need in his position, given the way Gerrard wants to play.

Let's see how he looks after half a dozen games and a couple of months of training as a front three of Coutinho/Watkins/Buendia - I suspect that at some point it will 'click', but if it doesn't I don't think Gerrard will think twice about replacing him.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:36:05 AM by Smithy »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1561 on: February 09, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »
Just no.
When it's not working should be hauled off.
Ings is the best striker goal scorer and against likes of that defence I think he should have at least had some game time if not played a half.

OW beefed up a bit , has amazing work ethic but not an once was a goal threat.. he needs some one around him and some pace or power Archer and Davis are away , Bailey not yet ready but Ings could have come on second half perhaps

Offline achilles

« Reply #1562 on: February 09, 2022, 11:16:21 PM »
I just don't know where the Watkins of last season has gone as we now have a clone who looks totally out of touch!
Ings certainly couldn't have done any worse.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1563 on: February 09, 2022, 11:30:54 PM »
We play a different system and style now so I don't think we'll ever see Watkins the same untill we upgrade more players in team as that's only way it could work for him in the 4-3-3 and full backs attack with narrow two inside forwards or 10s
Watkins doesnt suit that for me and would be better off playing off left and Coutinho in the middle 3.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #1564 on: February 09, 2022, 11:39:21 PM »
I can only remember that one chance he got where Digne drilled it across goal. He’s a shadow of last season’s player and was a total passenger today.

With supply from the likes of Coutinho and Buendia, as an England International he should be eating defences like that for breakfast- Didn’t get a look in.

Ings needs a stab up front. At least it’ll feel like we have 11 villa players on the pitch.
*Actually, I take that back. You can see he has the work ethic and is putting the effort in, but he is so far from looking like our main goal threat, it’s untrue. On that showing, Ings has to start the next game.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1565 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:13 PM »
When we see KDavies hold up play and we see Watkins there is only one winner.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1566 on: February 09, 2022, 11:52:23 PM »
I just don't know where the Watkins of last season has gone as we now have a clone who looks totally out of touch!

Ings has been dreadful for us though. He hardly got a kick when he came on v Everton, granted we had stopped trying to play at that point. Any game he played up top with Watkins he had very little impact.
His best game for us was v Brentford I think, combined very well with Buendia. Watkins was that bad again tonight I think Gerrard has to go with Ings the next day. But it's getting to the stage where we need to look at other options.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1567 on: February 09, 2022, 11:59:54 PM »

Ings has been dreadful for us though. He hardly got a kick when he came on v Everton, granted we had stopped trying to play at that point. Any game he played up top with Watkins he had very little impact.
His best game for us was v Brentford I think, combined very well with Buendia. Watkins was that bad again tonight I think Gerrard has to go with Ings the next day. But it's getting to the stage where we need to look at other options.

Have to play a system and style that plays to strengths of these players or at least sometimes try and play different way to the only way Gerrard wnsts to play one way

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1568 on: February 10, 2022, 12:35:27 AM »
As crap as Watkins has been this season and let's face it, he's been utter crap, he's hardly had a great deal of service. He's a greedy striker who when he's not scoring isn't happy. Yes he runs around a lot but then so does my sister's labrador.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1569 on: February 10, 2022, 12:41:10 AM »
Does not seem to be on the same wavelength as other player around him. Often not in the correct position, lacking anticipation  and too slow to react to a developing situation. There is something wrong with him at the moment.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1570 on: February 10, 2022, 12:49:08 AM »
As crap as Watkins has been this season and let's face it, he's been utter crap, he's hardly had a great deal of service. He's a greedy striker who when he's not scoring isn't happy. Yes he runs around a lot but then so does my sister's labrador.

He was woeful tonight, in our strongest line up. Looks like a Championship striker struggling to make the step up.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1571 on: February 10, 2022, 12:51:19 AM »
Does not seem to be on the same wavelength as other player around him. Often not in the correct position, lacking anticipation  and too slow to react to a developing situation. There is something wrong with him at the moment.

Whilst JJ have clicked with Phil straight away, Ollie doesn’t seem to be able to read what Phil’s going to do

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1572 on: February 10, 2022, 01:03:09 AM »

Whilst JJ have clicked with Phil straight away, Ollie doesn’t seem to be able to read what Phil’s going to do

Julian Joachim was quick, but this is a bit of a stretch. 

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1573 on: February 10, 2022, 03:00:49 AM »
Watkins is not just poor this season but he seems to actively resent anyone else scoring.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1574 on: February 10, 2022, 07:02:18 AM »
Watkins is not just poor this season but he seems to actively resent anyone else scoring.

I think he reacted like that last season too to be fair.

Nevertheless I suspect he knows he’s struggling and is confidence is way down. I have no doubt he’s a good player, but he needs to find his spark.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal