collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 149088 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1305 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »
Not sharing it is one thing - criticising someone for being optimistic is quite another.
What about criticising someone for being pessimistic, particularly at this moment in time?  As I said, this cuts both ways and both 'sides' are as bad as each other.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1306 on: July 20, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
Not sharing it is one thing - criticising someone for being optimistic is quite another.
What about criticising someone for being pessimistic, particularly at this moment in time?  As I said, this cuts both ways and both 'sides' are as bad as each other.

Being pessimistic is one thing. Moaning about everything a dozen times over is a bit counter-productive.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1307 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
I one had a bit of a disagreement coming out of the ground with somebody over whether we should sell David Platt. He didn't speak to me again until we found ourselves locked in at the Black Eagle nearly twenty years later.

A mate of mine and my cousin had a big falling out at the 1996 final. One was pro Savo and the other was anti Savo. One of them missed Savo's goal as he had gone to the bog and the other took the piss. They didn't speak to each other for several years until my Dad had a party for his 70th birthday.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1308 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
Us staying up is possible but unlikely. Is there much more to say until after the Arsenal game?

Not really.  Think four points from the last two games could well be enough though. 

Would need Watford to lose both games, which is a possibility given the fixtures they have and what has unfolded there over the last few days.  Four points would take Bournemouth out of the picture as well, so it wouldn't really matter what they did in their final game.

As you say, it will be a lot clearer after tomorrow night, as unless Watford get absolutely spanked, a defeat tomorrow will see us staring down the barrel.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #1309 on: July 20, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Being pessimistic is one thing. Moaning about everything a dozen times over is a bit counter-productive.
But on here, on this very thread, the accusation is being thrown about (by the optimistic) that being pessimistic equates to wanting the club to be relegated in order to be proved right.  That's utter shit.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1310 on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
But on here, on this very thread, the accusation is being thrown about (by the optimistic) that being pessimistic equates to wanting the club to be relegated in order to be proved right.  That's utter shit.

No it isn't.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1311 on: July 20, 2020, 12:05:47 PM »

While it’s none of my business, it seems weird to get into an argument to defend the right to be a pain in the arse.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1312 on: July 20, 2020, 12:06:42 PM »

While it’s none of my business, it seems weird to get into an argument to defend the right to be a pain in the arse.

I've certainly made a career out of it.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #1313 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »

No it isn't.
Okay, name names.  Who on here wants us to be relegated in order to be proved right.

Offline Darth Villa

« Reply #1314 on: July 20, 2020, 12:10:21 PM »
I thought we were down before the restart and non of our results since, Palace aside, have made my outlook any sunnier. Yet here we are with two games to go and we're still in it.

After each match I go through a cycle of accepting relegation as inevitable before the creeping on-set of hope has me buying another NowTV sports pass, convinced that a win is on the way. In my post Everton cycle I'm currently of the opinion that we'll lose to the Arse, but I'm starting to think we're due surprise result and Arsenal will have their minds elsewhere. I'll be reaching for my wallet at 8pm tomorrow.

Personally I like posts with the more extreme opinions of optimism and pessimism, they make for an entertaining read and I'm not offended or bothered by either. Which I guess is why I don't post very often, it's boring in the middle

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1315 on: July 20, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »

No it isn't.
Okay, name names.  Who on here wants us to be relegated in order to be proved right.

Read what I wrote again. That's not being said at all. And this argument is getting very tedious.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1316 on: July 20, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »

No it isn't.

Here you go...

Its all in our hands now. A win and a draw should do it, pending expected results elsewhere of course. If we balls this up we deserve to go down.

It’s in our hands pending results elsewhere?!

Yes, pending expected results elsewhere, Citeh beating Watford, Arsenal beating Watford and hoping Everton turn up against Bournemouth.

So we are hoping to beat Arsenal, who outplayed Citeh at the weekend but hope that said Citeh beat Watford and then the Arsenal we manage to beat return to form to beat Watford, with nothing to play for in the league and one eye on the cup final...….Okaaaaayyyy!
It’s comments like this that convince me that some fans want to see us relegated.
We are Aston Villa.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1317 on: July 20, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Which is a long way from the next accusation.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #1318 on: July 20, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »
I thought we were down before the restart and non of our results since, Palace aside, have made my outlook any sunnier. Yet here we are with two games to go and we're still in it.

After each match I go through a cycle of accepting relegation as inevitable before the creeping on-set of hope has me buying another NowTV sports pass, convinced that a win is on the way. In my post Everton cycle I'm currently of the opinion that we'll lose to the Arse, but I'm starting to think we're due surprise result and Arsenal will have their minds elsewhere. I'll be reaching for my wallet at 8pm tomorrow.

Personally I like posts with the more extreme opinions of optimism and pessimism, they make for an entertaining read and I'm not offended or bothered by either. Which I guess is why I don't post very often, it's boring in the middle

Probably describes the mental process we are all going through between games really well. Just this one last time, im going to raise my optimism and believe that we are going to finally get it right and do something out of the ordinary. That bit of luck is going to go our way, our big players are going to have big games and Arsenal are going to turn up thinking they have already won.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #1319 on: July 20, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »
It's starting to feel that some people want us to fail just so they are proven right on a supporters forum...sad.

There it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal