collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:12:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 04:12:05 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:10:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:10:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 04:09:41 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 04:09:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:09:07 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by maidstonevillain
[Today at 04:08:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 151503 times)

Offline Nii Lamptey

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1320 on: July 20, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »
At the end of the day, it's a football forum and there are going to be differences of opinion - That's what it's here for.

Some fans are eternally optimistic, others not so much... and that's fine. Lets just remember that we ALL agree on one thing.... We love the Villa and we ALL want them to succeed.

Emotions are a little more charged than usual, what with the football we've been dealt this season, alongside all the shit that 2020 has brought with it, but I say let's just keep the banter lighthearted, and focus on tomorrow night. We'll have a much clearer picture of where things are going come 10pm tomorrow.

UTV

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1321 on: July 20, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »
Sometimes in life, when we care deeply about something and want the best for it, we can be prone to extremes in terms of our hopes and fears. When you feel slightly invested in something you can hammer it when you see it make mistakes/mess up and get carried away when it seems to be doing better than expected.

I wouldn't hammer anybody for being like that with their football team.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1322 on: July 20, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »
It's starting to feel that some people want us to fail just so they are proven right on a supporters forum...sad.

There it is.

What a load of nonsense to suggest that anyone on here wants the club relegated. There are differences of opinion on just about every possible subject on H&V but the one thing we all have in common is a love of this club. Nobody wants Villa out of the top flight in order to be proven right. One or two might consider it better for their sanity on a weekly basis to see us picking up points in Division 1 rather than struggling for points in the Prem, but even then I'd wager that everyone can see what a financial nightmare relegation would be.

This business of calling people's loyalty into question based on their confidence in a regime needs to stop. Some people are natural pessimists, some people are natural optimists. It's really not that difficult to grasp why people disagree on future fortunes.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1323 on: July 20, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
I want to lose my job and see my children impoverished so that I can be right about Brexit.

Oops - wrong thread.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1324 on: July 20, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
We should call it the Seattle Nash Scale.

Where abouts are you between seat holding and face palming?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1325 on: July 20, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
It's the constant miserableness of some which I don't get. I've seen posters on here over the years jump on the post match thread when we have lost but are nowhere to be seen if we've won a game and don't return until we've lost again. I honestly don't know what they get out of it.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1326 on: July 20, 2020, 01:03:33 PM »
At a wild guess maybe they're content when Villa win and need to vent/ seek solace when we lose.

Bonus Villa supporting points aren't handed out for how beamingly positive one can be on an internet messageboard.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1327 on: July 20, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
It's the constant miserableness of some which I don't get. I've seen posters on here over the years jump on the post match thread when we have lost but are nowhere to be seen if we've won a game and don't return until we've lost again. I honestly don't know what they get out of it.

Yes, that is twattish behaviour, I agree.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1328 on: July 20, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »
Bloody hell - apologies I appear to have kicked off this round of sniping with my reply to le lapin this morning.  I was only trying to be jovially logical in thinking we can beat Arse but we expect Watford to lose to them and the team they comfortably beat at the weekend. 

Last time I was confident of beating Arse was in 2015 as I settled into my seat at the cup final, as our name was on the cup.  Hence my pessimism now - well it's more protectionism than pessimism I think.  I think I'm more in Darth Villa camp where I temper my disappointment by lowering my expectations all while desperately hoping to be proved wrong.

So I'm hoping we do it, obviously, to think I would be happy for us to lose just so I could say I told you so would be ludicrous!!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1329 on: July 20, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
At a wild guess maybe they're content when Villa win and need to vent/ seek solace when we lose.

Bonus Villa supporting points aren't handed out for how beamingly positive one can be on an internet messageboard.

Is it about being beamingly positive  or taking the rough with the smooth?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1330 on: July 20, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »

Yes, that is twattish behaviour, I agree.

It is but there are also plenty of twats whose first instinct after a win seems to be to jump on the thread and start calling out smith doubters, pant wetters etc etc   

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1331 on: July 20, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »

Indeed

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1332 on: July 20, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
What bothers me about the more negative posters is that they'll say things like: we won't win another game or we've got no desire or every player we have who's struggling for form is either unremittingly shit or is already checked-out and waiting to join a new club or all the people involved with the club are shit (Purslow, Suso, Smith, Terry, etc) or bad refereeing decisions don't matter because we didn't deserve anything anyway. However, none of these criticisms are applied with anything like the same vigor when talking about other clubs in the bottom 6 instead everything they do well gets amplified as proof that they're better than us.

I just find it a strange attitude to see the positives for every club in the battle except for the one you support.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #1333 on: July 20, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »
This has turned into “I’m a better forum fan than you”, thread.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1334 on: July 20, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »
I'm the worst fan. I've been known to tut misplaced passes and once I forgot to even boo Robbie Savage.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal