collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36644 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »
Both our goals came from our best two midfielders running into their box and causing mayhem. This is were they should be playing, not on the edge of our box
Agree and he is sticking to the 4 3 3 regardless of circumstances with our best 2 players having to do too much.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
I just can not understand how he watched them tear through us without doing something about it.
A bit of Nero going on.  Let’s hope he learns. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2019, 06:54:07 PM »
I know I bored everyone shitless with this in pre-season but the folly of going into the Premier League with a manager and squad  who had precious little - and in some cases zero - experience of it is becoming evident.

Absolutely, Dean Smith has zero experience of the Premiership, so we can live with that in the short term, common sense would say you get over that by bringing in players that are battle hardened Premiership campaigners.   

Tell that to Sheff Utd.

richtheholtender

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
I think we just need to calm down. As I put in the match thread this isn’t a shock, we’ve lost these sort of games for years. We’re 4 points off 6th having played spurs & arsenal away and Everton & West Ham at home.

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Firstly, we're not four points off 6th, we're 4 points off 12th, and two places off the bottom.

4 points off twelve then. Does it matter? We aren’t exactly cut a drift are we?

No we're not, but we're also not hovering around the top six, either.

Are we not? Bloody hell, we should be sacking him then.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
We're shit, we're going down.
Everyone is garbage.
Smith out.
Mings and Engels gifted two goals so they can fuck off too.
Drummond: stamping out contrary opinion since 1874 probably.

Just thought I'd get it out there and see if it made me feel better. I assumed it worked for others.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
That felt worryingly like the Leicester 15/16 game. Played well, things appeared to be clicking but pissed it away, mainly through tactical ineptitude.

Absolutely nothing like Sherwood, a manager with no pedigree, who had proven nothing at the club, who was a proven bullshitter, who helped harness division in the dressing room, throwing on an extra attacking player when we were at Leicester and falling apart.

This is the over the top crap that I am talking about.
Comparing Tim Sherwood to Dean Smith?

Here's a clue, one of them will never manage again. Take a guess who it is and for why.

Why don’t you just debate the point without taking shrill, chippy little pot shots? Show me where I compared Smith unfavourably with Sherwood in terms of their pedigree or moral fibre.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
Getting knackered and sitting deeper and deeper has nothing to do with PL experience though, none of us have managed in the PL but we could see what was happening and that changes were needed. We didn't make those changes until after their 3rd.
I take your point but the game management was shocking and that definitely comes through experience.

He's not inexperienced though is he.  OK it's his first Premier League season, but "replace a tired player" is hardly something you'd need to be Guardiola to know.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
Really over the top reactions.

We spent all the second half against 10 men, the 10 men did us 3-1 in that half, what reaction are you expecting?

and against a shocking and often bottling team such as Arsenal

If we'd have won or even drawn, with the same performance, the reactions would be 180 degree different.

A draw, against a team down to 10 men for an hour, who were also behind would still have been a very poor result.

Not trying to be over picky, but wasn't he sen't off on the stroke of half time?
I think we just need to calm down. As I put in the match thread this isn’t a shock, we’ve lost these sort of games for years. We’re 4 points off 6th having played spurs & arsenal away and Everton & West Ham at home.

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Firstly, we're not four points off 6th, we're 4 points off 12th, and two places off the bottom.

Come on, no one in their right mind expected the club that got in to the play offs after a late season run to be around the top 6 did they? We need to consolidate and stay in the division this season. By any means necessary and it won't be done by questioning everything about the team and management when we lose tight games. There's a time to do that and it isn't after 6 games when you are fighting hard for everything.

Online Drummond

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »
I don't want to be ungrateful after everything he's done for us but Smith really is starting to concern me. The managers of the two other promoted clubs aren't looking out of their depth. They've risen well to the challenge. Smith? Not so much.

He's been in charge of us for less than a year.

He's had 6 games at this level.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
Saturday is massive now. Win that and we're at a point per game and we're back on par. Lose that and we're on a downer with a particularly difficult looking period coming up.

Front three are shite and he should have put Davis on to hold it before they got the goal.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »

We spent all the second half against 10 men, the 10 men did us 3-1 in that half, what reaction are you expecting?

If we'd have won or even drawn, with the same performance, the reactions would be 180 degree different.

A draw, against a team down to 10 men for an hour, who were also behind would still have been a very poor result.

Not trying to be over picky, but wasn't he sen't off on the stroke of half time?

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Come on, no one in their right mind expected the club that got in to the play offs after a late season run to be around the top 6 did they? We need to consolidate and stay in the division this season. By any means necessary and it won't be done by questioning everything about the team and management when we lose tight games. There's a time to do that and it isn't after 6 games when you are fighting hard for everything.

No, we didn't, and I didn't suggest we should be - i was responding to the erroneous assertion that we're 4 points off 6th.

Offline steamer

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2019, 06:57:23 PM »
We will not get many chances like that very often, they were there for the taking.
We could see it and so could the commentators.
So against a good attacking team we give in the midfield and let them at us, no surprise for the outcome.
SHIT, SHIT,SHIT we could have won this with better game management.

Online Drummond

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »
Insert "this is fine" fire cartoon meme for Drummond.

Haha, you're so funny.

It's not fine. It's not great at all but you'd think we'd been relegated and disgraced ourselves the way people react.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
He's not inexperienced though is he.  OK it's his first Premier League season, but "replace a tired player" is hardly something you'd need to be Guardiola to know.
If it's not inexperience then he either panicked or didn't know what to do.  None of those is palatable.

richtheholtender

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

No, we didn't, and I didn't suggest we should be - i was responding to the erroneous assertion that we're 4 points off 6th.

By being a dick

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal