collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36621 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
Really over the top reactions.

We spent all the second half against 10 men, the 10 men did us 3-1 in that half, what reaction are you expecting?

How about one where people breathe before posting shite.

It’s not shite though. Perfectly reasonable observations. It’s also a pattern of similar errors that Smith needs to address.

Saying Smith isn't up to it, and that we're relegation fodder is.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
Any link to our 2nd goal?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
I think we just need to calm down. As I put in the match thread this isn’t a shock, we’ve lost these sort of games for years. We’re 4 points off 6th having played spurs & arsenal away and Everton & West Ham at home.

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Firstly, we're not four points off 6th, we're 4 points off 12th, and two places off the bottom.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
I love SJM but he looked knackered after an hour. He either isnt fit enough, which is unlikely, or he needs to conserve his energy much better.

It's not the first time he's had a brilliant first half and then you forget he's playing in the second. He looks completely and utterly knackered which is hardly surprising given the amount of running he does. Unfortunately Dean doesn't see it or if he does, refuses to take him off as he's out main goal threat. That's another subject that seriously needs urgent attention.

The only positive from today is Villa didn't ruin all my weekend. I'd have hated to have seen that game on a Friday night. Small blessings.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2019, 06:43:26 PM »
The problem is that we look like we're giving it all we've got (unlike the last relegation) and we're still in the relegation zone. It's commendable but also depressing. We need to do something in the next three because the three after that are very tough. If we're on, say, 8 points after 12 games we're going to look fucked.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
We're shit, we're going down.
Everyone is garbage.
Smith out.
Mings and Engels gifted two goals so they can fuck off too.
Drummond: stamping out contrary opinion since 1874 probably.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
That felt worryingly like the Leicester 15/16 game. Played well, things appeared to be clicking but pissed it away, mainly through tactical ineptitude.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
I don’t think the defense is shit or the midfield or the squad.
But today suggested that our manager has no idea how to win from a winning position against 10 men.
We were running out of steam because we were crying out for fresh legs  and to plug the midfield.
It was obvious they were going to commit to attack and he stood and watched them from the dug out tear us apart.
Inexplicable.

Offline supertom

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
Another week of mistakes we shouldn't be making. 'You get punished for those in this league.' Next week we'll give away a stupid goal, penalty (thus goal) or someone will get sent off. FS. Why are footballers stupid?

Why is it also that we're appalling playing against 10 men? Just almost always historically struggle like no other. It's been decades since I saw the opposition get a sending off and thought 'oh goody, we've got an advantage here.' It's a fucking death knell.

We're a lot better than 2015 but the league is also better. Shape up ffs. Smith's making some headscratching decisions too. I'm pleased big Wes got on the score sheet, because ultimately, if we're gonna stay up he's got to hit double figures.

I grant you we've played a top 4 side and should probably expect to get beaten on their patch but being okay and losing just means you go down. That's a chance blown and puts pressure on the games we should be expecting results in. Every bottom 12 team that stays up this year is going to do so by pulling off 1-2 unexpected results.

They arent a top 4 side and had 10 men. That gives us a massive advantage
It should give us an advantage. Never bloody does. That's not new with Smith mind you. I can't remember the last manager we had who was good against 10 men.

He got it wrong today though and it's been slightly alarming that he's begining to make Bruce-esque tactical decisions.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
We need to learn and quick. In isolation, it's not the end of the world, but Palace, West Ham, Arsenal should have seen us have 7 points with better in-game management, but we only have 1 to show for it.

I'm not going to judge until 10 games, but we'll need at least 10 points on the board by then otherwise we are in a proper battle.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
I know I bored everyone shitless with this in pre-season but the folly of going into the Premier League with a manager and squad  who had precious little - and in some cases zero - experience of it is becoming evident.

Absolutely, Dean Smith has zero experience of the Premiership, so we can live with that in the short term, common sense would say you get over that by bringing in players that are battle hardened Premiership campaigners.   

Online enigma

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »
I don't want to be ungrateful after everything he's done for us but Smith really is starting to concern me. The managers of the two other promoted clubs aren't looking out of their depth. They've risen well to the challenge. Smith? Not so much.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »
Really over the top reactions.

How do you expect people to react?

To not act like everything and everyone connected with the team are shite and we are relegation fodder because we've lost an away game with 90% of the season left and with us being competitive in every single game we've been in so far. Better teams than us will lose at Arsenal and it's not the first time and won't be the last time that 10 men win a game at home. It's a bad result but all the negativity that flows from a defeat is magnified and does nothing but harm with the over the top nature of responses.

Fuck off Smith this, the defence is shit that. It's no good. Smith has done a good job, the team aren't a mess, the defence has been by  and large solid and if we all stick together there are much better days ahead. Let's not get carried away with the emotion of losing.

They had 10 men, and the last half an hour we couldn't get out of our own half. Yes teams win with 10 men occasionally, but rarely do they do it completely dominating the team with the numerical advantage. It was an unacceptable effort in the 2nd half. From both players and a manager who really fucked up today.

Lets not forget we were also atrocious when West Ham went down to 10 men on Monday too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
Insert "this is fine" fire cartoon meme for Drummond.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
The difference is today the red card did give us an advantage. It had a bad effect on them for most the game and we got in behind them repeatedly and failed to make the most of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal