collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 666557 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3210 on: November 30, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »
I love it too, but it's the romantic idea of it rather than the actual realities of a visit, and the fact that my grandparents and as far as I know, great-grandparents went there as well. Just about everything else about it is rubbish. Getting to it and away from it, rubbish. Availability of parking - rubbish. Facilities and service inside - rubbish. North stand - rubbish. Doug Ellis stand - rubbish. Ability to improve corporate revenue - rubbish (eg North Stand and Doug Ellis boxes being behind glass) Ability to have a drink/something to eat before the game in the surrounding area - rubbish.

No VIP cheese room either, FFS!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3211 on: November 30, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »
I think it is extremely unlikely that we will find anywhere in a suitable location to build a new stadium that the council would agree to let us use. All the issues raided concerning the current location are likely to be replicated everywhere else within the city boundaries.

I don't agree. If it was within 10-15 minute walk of the City Centre then I reckon the vast majority of fans would use public transport to get there, and you'd have all of the major stations (New Street, Snow Hill, Moor Street) that would be available, and all of the major bus routes, plus taxis etc. Plus having all of Birminghams pubs and restaurants available before and after would mean people would stagger their arrival and departure time a lot more. All that happens now is that tens of thousands of people spend a lot of time sitting in traffic, or queuing at inadequate stations. They could be spending their time and money in the city centre instead.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3212 on: November 30, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »
Is the area opposite the O2 Academy part of the Smithfield site? Doesn't look like much is there barring some small industrial units that could probably be persuaded to move to newer premises?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3213 on: November 30, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »
I think it is extremely unlikely that we will find anywhere in a suitable location to build a new stadium that the council would agree to let us use. All the issues raided concerning the current location are likely to be replicated everywhere else within the city boundaries.

I don't agree. If it was within 10-15 minute walk of the City Centre then I reckon the vast majority of fans would use public transport to get there, and you'd have all of the major stations (New Street, Snow Hill, Moor Street) that would be available, and all of the major bus routes, plus taxis etc. Plus having all of Birminghams pubs and restaurants available before and after would mean people would stagger their arrival and departure time a lot more. All that happens now is that tens of thousands of people spend a lot of time sitting in traffic, or queuing at inadequate stations. They could be spending their time and money in the city centre instead.

Where exactly are the council going to give up land to a football club given all of the issues that creates and at a time when they are obligated to make land available for housing?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #3214 on: November 30, 2021, 04:44:36 PM »
Is the area opposite the O2 Academy part of the Smithfield site? Doesn't look like much is there barring some small industrial units that could probably be persuaded to move to newer premises?

Do you mean in Digbeth, about a mile from St Andrews?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3215 on: November 30, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
I'd prefer something in, or very close, to Aston.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3216 on: November 30, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »

I mean on the A38. about 2 miles from there. Which is about a mile closer than we are now. Granted we may need air-con.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3217 on: November 30, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »

But in the historic Aston Parish boundaries.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #3218 on: November 30, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »

I mean on the A38. about 2 miles from there. Which is about a mile closer than we are now. Granted we may need air-con.

Gotcha, it’s pretty much in the city centre I reckon it’s a non starter for a host of reasons around cost, disruption and competing demands.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3219 on: November 30, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »
Haven't seen if anyone suggested this already, but did we miss an opportunity with the Alexander stadium site and the upgrade going on there?  Not sure the transportation situation would be any better there?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3220 on: November 30, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
The idea of moving horrifies me.  But I must admit city centre grounds are fantastic and something on the edge of the City would interest me.  A different sport but Cardiff Arms Park / Millenium Stadium is a brilliant day out.  I think the new Everton stadium will be just superb for their fans.  But I just don't see us finding anything that the council would accept and I doubt the land value of our current site would help viability either.

I'm convinced if we move it will be to the NEC and that will be just horrible.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3221 on: November 30, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
I don't think there's that much land available at the NEC. There's a lot of work going on at the M42/A45 junction and HS2 is bound to have an effect on the other side.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3222 on: November 30, 2021, 05:35:49 PM »
The idea of moving horrifies me.  But I must admit city centre grounds are fantastic and something on the edge of the City would interest me.  A different sport but Cardiff Arms Park / Millenium Stadium is a brilliant day out.  I think the new Everton stadium will be just superb for their fans.  But I just don't see us finding anything that the council would accept and I doubt the land value of our current site would help viability either.

I'm convinced if we move it will be to the NEC and that will be just horrible.

Detroit and Indianapolis both have stadiums in the centre of their cities and it can work.   However, you don't have to move to help revitalize an area.   As someone who went to Old Trafford in the late 80s early 90s, it was in a worse area than Villa Park has ever been.  They renovated the stadium and then the infrastructure came to them - so it is possible to do it the other way around.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3223 on: November 30, 2021, 05:38:12 PM »
They must have a plan hence the request for planning permission.  Be interesting to see what it looks like.  New north stand with an additional tier mayve?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3224 on: November 30, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »

Where exactly are the council going to give up land to a football club given all of the issues that creates and at a time when they are obligated to make land available for housing?
Exactly. I just can't think of anywhere suitable for a new stadium and in the right location. Redeveloping Villa Park is the only viable option in my view. Our biggest obstacle is going to be cooperation from the council, transport companies and local residents. Enlarging the North Stand is the only sensible option as it stands but only with planning permission from a council that seems happy to ignore the huge football club in the Aston district of the city.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal