collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:33:07 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:31:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 11:24:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 667024 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3195 on: November 30, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
I presume Dave is referring to it being a planning stumbling block as opposed to a 'nice to have'  Dave - is this something you're aware of as a fact, or just your judgment?

Based on the photo above, it looks to me that we're probably talking about c30-50 spaces if we're just looking at a larger stand, as opposed to hotels, museums etc.  That wouldn't seem insurmountable to me.

I'm sure that some years ago we were told that we couldn't increase capacity until paking and (I'm less sure on this one) public transport were increased/improved. I also believe - again, not for certain - that a lot of the parking at the ground is for the boxes and sponsors, and there might also be access requrements for emergency services that has to be looked at. It may well be surmountable but it's a lot more complex than sticking another tier on one stand and going back a bit for another. Then there's all the ancient light regulations and that sort of stuff.   
Yes makes sense.  "Just knock down a few houses, move the road, take a bit of the park...."   It's easy for fans at a keyboard, notsomuch in real life.  Will be facinating to see what options they come up with.

One of the probems we traditionally had was that the club's attitude was just that - we were here first and we can do what we like. Luckily recent owners have tried to work with the community rather than against them; for all his faults that was one positive aspect of Lerner's legacy. 

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3196 on: November 30, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
Definitely agree with that.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3197 on: November 30, 2021, 11:22:02 AM »
I presume Dave is referring to it being a planning stumbling block as opposed to a 'nice to have'  Dave - is this something you're aware of as a fact, or just your judgment?

Based on the photo above, it looks to me that we're probably talking about c30-50 spaces if we're just looking at a larger stand, as opposed to hotels, museums etc.  That wouldn't seem insurmountable to me.

I'm sure that some years ago we were told that we couldn't increase capacity until paking and (I'm less sure on this one) public transport were increased/improved. I also believe - again, not for certain - that a lot of the parking at the ground is for the boxes and sponsors, and there might also be access requrements for emergency services that has to be looked at. It may well be surmountable but it's a lot more complex than sticking another tier on one stand and going back a bit for another. Then there's all the ancient light regulations and that sort of stuff.   
Just thinking about light regulations, and corporate nonsense.  With the Witton Lane stand, could you build over Witton Lane with the roof sloping downwards towards the park (so you'd have a pitched roof).  It wouldn't increase capacity, but you'd get more internal room in the stand for wider concourses, more room for restaurant-y type things.

Done right, you'd get a unique looking stand that could add to the character of the ground.  Thinking something a bit like our last stand with a pitched roof, over on the other side of the ground (obvs the pitch would be completely different, but done in a similar kind of style ...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:24:00 AM by algy »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3198 on: November 30, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »

The light regulations would definitely come into play if we tried to fill the corners by the north stand, particularly on the trinity road side. The passage around that corner is already fairly narrow and, I suspect, goes very close to the limit of what we'd be allowed to do. Nelson Road is just as big a limitation as Witton Lane is in my opinion which is why the current trinity road stand does dip in a fair way towards that end which I don't think you'd do without it being a requirement.

This is why the more I look at it the less options I see to get a 50-60k international standard stadium on the site. I love Villa park but there's going to be some difficult decisions to make over the next few years if the plan is to be a regular champions league team (which is certainly the vision we've been sold).

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #3199 on: November 30, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Club have at least finally posted that Tickets are available for tomorrow on the official website.

Few Hundred left

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3200 on: November 30, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »
Club have at least finally posted that Tickets are available for tomorrow on the official website.

Few Hundred left

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3201 on: November 30, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
One thing I would never want us to do is to do what Liverpool did and aquire space around the ground by slowly strangling the community house by house and making it unliveable for the people who wanted to stay once they'd bought a specific number of houses.

Awful, shitty way to behave.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3202 on: November 30, 2021, 01:35:27 PM »
One thing I would never want us to do is to do what Liverpool did and aquire space around the ground by slowly strangling the community house by house and making it unliveable for the people who wanted to stay once they'd bought a specific number of houses.

Awful, shitty way to behave.
I agree completely. 

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3203 on: November 30, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »

Few Hundred left

No point moaning here. We don't give a shit. Try your MP.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3204 on: November 30, 2021, 02:52:13 PM »

This is why the more I look at it the less options I see to get a 50-60k international standard stadium on the site. I love Villa park but there's going to be some difficult decisions to make over the next few years if the plan is to be a regular champions league team (which is certainly the vision we've been sold).

I love it too, but it's the romantic idea of it rather than the actual realities of a visit, and the fact that my grandparents and as far as I know, great-grandparents went there as well. Just about everything else about it is rubbish. Getting to it and away from it, rubbish. Availability of parking - rubbish. Facilities and service inside - rubbish. North stand - rubbish. Doug Ellis stand - rubbish. Ability to improve corporate revenue - rubbish (eg North Stand and Doug Ellis boxes being behind glass) Ability to have a drink/something to eat before the game in the surrounding area - rubbish.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3205 on: November 30, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »
That last one's a good point. Most of the other old school grounds/locations have got good surrounding infrastructure but Villa Park is getting worse all the time. There's barely half a dozen pubs within walking distance plus a couple of chippys. Compare that to Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle for example. Even Small Heath is better.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3206 on: November 30, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »

I love it too, but it's the romantic idea of it rather than the actual realities of a visit, and the fact that my grandparents and as far as I know, great-grandparents went there as well. Just about everything else about it is rubbish. Getting to it and away from it, rubbish. Availability of parking - rubbish. Facilities and service inside - rubbish. North stand - rubbish. Doug Ellis stand - rubbish. Ability to improve corporate revenue - rubbish (eg North Stand and Doug Ellis boxes being behind glass) Ability to have a drink/something to eat before the game in the surrounding area - rubbish.
agree, but what happens if its replaced with a soulless bowl by the NEC?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3207 on: November 30, 2021, 03:16:59 PM »
I think it is extremely unlikely that we will find anywhere in a suitable location to build a new stadium that the council would agree to let us use. All the issues raided concerning the current location are likely to be replicated everywhere else within the city boundaries.

I am sure it is not beyond the capabilities of a decent architect to design something that will provide the additional capacity and facilities and to work with the train operators and bus companies to upgrade services.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3208 on: November 30, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
That last one's a good point. Most of the other old school grounds/locations have got good surrounding infrastructure but Villa Park is getting worse all the time. There's barely half a dozen pubs within walking distance plus a couple of chippys. Compare that to Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle for example. Even Small Heath is better.

I love how close St James' Park is to the city centre. Would be great if we had similar, but very unlikely I suppose.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3209 on: November 30, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »

I love how close St James' Park is to the city centre. Would be great if we had similar, but very unlikely I suppose.

Never say never but as I think others have pointed out it’s really only the Gun Quarter then the bit round towards Aston Uni which would feel right from a location perspective.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal