collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622216 times)

Offline Astral Weeks

Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #2550 on: September 09, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »
My main concern is that we're accepting of the word 'disinterested' when we mean 'uninterested'.

Ha, that annoys me too.

See also 'journeyman' used incorrectly to describe a player who has played for lots of clubs.

And don't even get me started on the American use of 'momentarily'.

As in, "We will be landing at London Heathrow momentarily"?
Oh aye, where are we off to then, because I was rather hoping to get off!

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2551 on: September 09, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
Wasn't there a good few Spanish sailors washed up after the Armada got blown slightly off course?
Definitely. A lot of the Spanish ships were scattered by a combination of the Navy and bad weather. Many were completely lost and had run out of supplies so run aground all round the British Isles. A lot of them ended up in Ireland and decided to settle down partly down to it being another Catholic country. At least that's what my history teacher taught us. Been quite a while now though.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #2552 on: September 09, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
In Kinsale, Co. Cork  on the way out to Summercove. there is a pub called The Spaniard.

Online dekko

« Reply #2553 on: September 09, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
My family history is all Irish. My brother did one of those DNA tests to see what his ancient history was. He's (relatively) dark-skinned with brown eyes (the rest of us are pale with blue eyes) so he thought he might have some Spanish or even Middle-Eastern heritage. Irish. All Irish.

Ah OK. You are just a miserable git then. My dad's great grandparents moved to Nottingham from Ireland. Absolutely failed to find out anything about them. I don't know whether it's because their names get spelt wildly differently on the few records I can find, they have reasonably common names and they have no dates of birth or because the lives of poor Irish people didn't get recorded in any meaningful way back then. It could also be because I'm rubbish at looking. Shame, as it would be interesting to find out about their life in Ireland.

There'll be some of this, but one of the big ones is that a huge % of Irish birth certificates, census data, legal docs etc were lost when the Public Records Office was burnt down during the Civil War.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #2554 on: September 09, 2021, 05:12:22 PM »
I watched a BBC documentary which had traced back DNA to point at the Beaker People as being most of our ancestry (rather than the rather nebulous attribution to Celts being the true Brits). They then traced the Beaker People, originating in the southern part of Russia and Ukraine (Crimes).

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2555 on: September 09, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »
Bloody Beaker people.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2556 on: September 09, 2021, 05:54:10 PM »

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #2557 on: September 09, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
Bloody Beaker people.

That's the thin tall whiny ones with the spikey orange hair, right?

Not the fat, bald know it all?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2558 on: September 09, 2021, 06:07:06 PM »
Bloody Beaker people.

Nobody asked me if I wanted a Big Bang.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2559 on: September 09, 2021, 06:11:02 PM »
Wasn't there a good few Spanish sailors washed up after the Armada got blown slightly off course?

Legend has it that a Spanish galleon from the Armada ended up on some rocks off the coast of the Isle of Man (at a place called Spanish Head) and the first Manx Cat came from that ship. Probably bollocks but it's a good story.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2560 on: September 09, 2021, 06:19:23 PM »
Bloody Beaker people.

Tracy's alright though.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2561 on: September 09, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
My family history is all Irish. My brother did one of those DNA tests to see what his ancient history was. He's (relatively) dark-skinned with brown eyes (the rest of us are pale with blue eyes) so he thought he might have some Spanish or even Middle-Eastern heritage. Irish. All Irish.

My Dad got one of those DNA tests for his 80th. It came back 96% Irish, 3% Eastern European, 1% Basque but given our family's lived in the same spot in Roscommon since the 1600s I didn't expect anything too exotic.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2562 on: September 09, 2021, 06:55:46 PM »

Ah OK. You are just a miserable git then. My dad's great grandparents moved to Nottingham from Ireland. Absolutely failed to find out anything about them. I don't know whether it's because their names get spelt wildly differently on the few records I can find, they have reasonably common names and they have no dates of birth or because the lives of poor Irish people didn't get recorded in any meaningful way back then. It could also be because I'm rubbish at looking. Shame, as it would be interesting to find out about their life in Ireland.

Get yourself a DNA test. It will link you with relatives in Ireland and around the world and you’re bound to find out about your family background. It costs £79 I think.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #2563 on: September 09, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
I am sure there was some Radio 4 thing years back that basically refuted all of these DNA tests.

From memory I think it was because the databases at the time were too vague (possibly).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2564 on: September 09, 2021, 07:34:31 PM »

My Dad got one of those DNA tests for his 80th. It came back 96% Irish, 3% Eastern European, 1% Basque but given our family's lived in the same spot in Roscommon since the 1600s I didn't expect anything too exotic.

By brother-in-law from Dublin was mildly put out to say the least when his came back with less Irish DNA than his wife, who is from Bolton.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal