collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621742 times)

Offline mike

Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #2535 on: September 09, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
My main concern is that we're accepting of the word 'disinterested' when we mean 'uninterested'.

But in all seriousness, if NSWE were to look at selling now, would they recoup their investment? If they'd purchased us as a Championship club for half a Grealish, invested nothing, and were now looking to sell us as an established PL club, okay. 

But it seems a pretty stupid move to me. With the way the game is going, if we become regularly top 6-8 (and I don't think it'll take much to get there) we'll be a club worth £800m-£1bn within five years.

Do serious investors get involved in football for short term profit anymore?

I think we need to break this Brummie mentality that pain is always imminent. We're ultimately a small business in both of their portfolios. We seem expensive from our side of the fence, but it isn't like Lerner where he's spending his sisters money too or Xia where he's a front. These are insanely wealthy chaps and we are their prestige toy. The club in Vegas, the way they celebrate when they're at VP. They're balls deep in this thing of ours.

I'm not a Brummie, but I always assume that pain is always imminent. Because it always fucking is. I need to stop going to that dentist.

Have you researched your family history because I strongly suspect you have some Birmingham ancestry in your DNA. My mom's dad believed himself to be pure Black Country but if you go back a generation he was from Aston so she is a pure bred glass half empty Brummie. My dad's side are from Nottingham and they're a miserable lot too, but maybe because they've lived in Birmingham most of their lives. The only cheery member of my family is my uncle who worked at Leyland and supports the Dark Side (so I suppose he has to have a sense of humour.)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2536 on: September 09, 2021, 11:49:21 AM »
My family history is all Irish. My brother did one of those DNA tests to see what his ancient history was. He's (relatively) dark-skinned with brown eyes (the rest of us are pale with blue eyes) so he thought he might have some Spanish or even Middle-Eastern heritage. Irish. All Irish.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2537 on: September 09, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
Mike…….that’s almost poetic.

‘Pure bred, glass half empty Brummie’.

The perfect description for us.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2538 on: September 09, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
My family history is all Irish. My brother did one of those DNA tests to see what his ancient history was. He's (relatively) dark-skinned with brown eyes (the rest of us are pale with blue eyes) so he thought he might have some Spanish or even Middle-Eastern heritage. Irish. All Irish.
There is a school of thought that some settlers in early history may have made their way to Ireland by boat via Southern Spain avoiding the land route .

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2539 on: September 09, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
My main concern is that we're accepting of the word 'disinterested' when we mean 'uninterested'.

I'm not. Its users are marked in my revolution notebook alongside the of-havers.

Room for the there/they're/their crew?

They're behind the your/you're morons!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2540 on: September 09, 2021, 12:49:06 PM »
There is a school of thought that some settlers in early history may have made their way to Ireland by boat via Southern Spain avoiding the land route .

I've heard that but somebody told me it was a myth. I personally have no idea.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2541 on: September 09, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
One of the oldest myths is that Ireland was populated by actual Iberians fleeing the peninsula for varying reasons.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2542 on: September 09, 2021, 01:01:29 PM »
Wasn't there a good few Spanish sailors washed up after the Armada got blown slightly off course?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2543 on: September 09, 2021, 01:02:43 PM »
Well if they did, they stayed clear of my ancestors, as my skin pigmentation and ability to tan confirms. Mine came from the ice planet Hoth, I think.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2544 on: September 09, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

Ha, that annoys me too.

See also 'journeyman' used incorrectly to describe a player who has played for lots of clubs.

And don't even get me started on the American use of 'momentarily'.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2545 on: September 09, 2021, 01:05:17 PM »
Currently expecting BE to ask me my opinion on starting a sentence with 'And'.

Offline mike

« Reply #2546 on: September 09, 2021, 01:07:54 PM »

Ah OK. You are just a miserable git then. My dad's great grandparents moved to Nottingham from Ireland. Absolutely failed to find out anything about them. I don't know whether it's because their names get spelt wildly differently on the few records I can find, they have reasonably common names and they have no dates of birth or because the lives of poor Irish people didn't get recorded in any meaningful way back then. It could also be because I'm rubbish at looking. Shame, as it would be interesting to find out about their life in Ireland.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2547 on: September 09, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

Ah OK. You are just a miserable git then. My dad's great grandparents moved to Nottingham from Ireland. Absolutely failed to find out anything about them. I don't know whether it's because their names get spelt wildly differently on the few records I can find, they have reasonably common names and they have no dates of birth or because the lives of poor Irish people didn't get recorded in any meaningful way back then. It could also be because I'm rubbish at looking. Shame, as it would be interesting to find out about their life in Ireland.

My surname seems to be open to interpretation, as we found when burying my grandad back in Newry.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2548 on: September 09, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »
We're from Viking stock who settled(sic) in Ireland.Our surname translates as dark-browded or swarthy. Run out of the north for sheep stealing and settled in Roscommon.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2549 on: September 09, 2021, 01:43:02 PM »
To steal a Tim Vine joke, I'm Caucasian.

My mother's from an Irish city and my dad's Japanese!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal