collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621671 times)

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #2400 on: August 06, 2021, 12:15:08 AM »
Me also

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2401 on: August 06, 2021, 12:20:07 AM »
Proof the owners did not lie down.

Guess there was little they could do if a clause in his contract was triggered. 

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #2402 on: August 06, 2021, 07:43:30 AM »
Even with the release clause they still tried to bunp his wages.it was grealish decison and his alone.

Hw would have gone last summer had our owners not been firm. The man had no loyalty to us. All PR shite

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2403 on: August 06, 2021, 10:35:47 AM »
Probably The only Premier League owners guaranteed a standing ovation from their clubs fans

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2404 on: August 06, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
Proof the owners did not lie down.
From Purslow's broadcast earlier tonight, it's clear that Grealish was eyeing a move even when he put pen to paper on his new deal last September. Fortunately, the board had the foresight to set a (high) value for the release clause. I doubt Lerner or Dr Tony's people would have had the sense to do the same.

Onwards and upwards now. Grealish = Yorke = Platt = Gray. We'll improve on last season's eleventh place finish.

BTW, thanks for your efforts, Jack. Could have been a legend. Now will be merely a footnote in the history of two clubs. Maybe more.

Well put Chris, exactly what I'm thinking. Good to see you posting mate haven't seen you around lately.   

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2405 on: August 06, 2021, 10:51:12 AM »
Given there is no ratboy thread anymore I'd like to state that I hope he doesn't return again. Not at 31,32,33 and so on. Door firmly closed, don't come back.

Now, now think about what you're saying. In 12 months he might be of the opinion it was all a big mistake and be yearning to return for family reasons or he gets totally pissed off with queuing up on the M6 just to get home for his tea. 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2406 on: August 06, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
Obviously not surprised the clause was there. Seemed odds-on after the obviously agent leaked story in the Sun months back. I'm not sure the club could have done anything different really. 100m when he signed his new contract was more than anyone would pay. If we'd set it higher  like 150m,his agent would have said it was a worthless clause. Only thing NSWE have been guilty of was thinking he had any loyalty to Villa, which probably goes for a lot of us. The reality is he would have walked barefoot on broken glass to sign for Spurs when they were interested, but if they'd come in this summer he wouldn't have even talked to them. Which about sums his priorities up really.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2407 on: August 06, 2021, 11:28:19 AM »
His priorities were to play at the highest level which for most gifted footballers is their aim.  I have no doubt that had we made Top 4 he'd have stayed.  We didn't and are unlikely to do that for at least another 2 seasons by which time he's missed out on a lot of top level football given he probably has only another 5 years left being at his peak. Basically, he's outgrown us for where we are now.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #2408 on: August 06, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »
I think NSWE have done all they could on this one, and couldn't have played it any other way.  When the dust settles we'll still be hurt and disappointed by the way Grealish handled it, but I can't honestly get as upset about this as lots of others seem to be - taking emotion out of it a player has left, we have to move on.  It's not even like they haven't done this to other big clubs - they've taken the best players from Liverpool, Arsenal, soon to be Spurs, so the media narrative of us being lower down the food chain and therefore inevitably having to roll over is not correct.

The important thing for NSWE is to make sure we keep progressing, and all the signs so far is that we most certainly are.  The investment in the academy is plain for all to see, and the first team is the strongest it's been in over a decade even without he who shall not be named. 

This isn't the first time we have been forced to sell our star player - the big challenge now is to make sure this is the last time it happens, because that will mean we have got to where we want to be.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2409 on: August 06, 2021, 11:50:58 AM »
I never had a problem with him leaving or his personal priorities, villa fan or not. It was way he did it. When we were flirting with the top 4 under MON my favourite player was Milner. He wasn't the most talented player or the most eye-catching but he was the best imo - always an 8/10 player imo. I was gutted when he headed off but I realised he'd seen the writing on the wall like the rest of us, and of course leaving a club that was only heading one way when you can win medals is a no brainer. Thing is he never pretended he had a special feeling for the club or a Villa man through and through. Ratboy on the other hand, entered a contract with the fans rather than the club and when you dabble in that sort of stuff, you have to behave properly and be honest about things. The reality is he wasn't tapped up by City, but Grealish and his Agent tapped City up.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2410 on: August 06, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
Absolute guesswork on my part but I can see Liverpool and Spurs sniffing around Watkins, possibly as soon as January.  Obviously we reject their advances but if Watkins wobbles and they offer stupid money (£85m+) we already have a decent insurance policy with Ings so the impact will not be as bad.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2411 on: August 06, 2021, 11:56:34 AM »
His priorities were to play at the highest level which for most gifted footballers is their aim.  I have no doubt that had we made Top 4 he'd have stayed.  We didn't and are unlikely to do that for at least another 2 seasons by which time he's missed out on a lot of top level football given he probably has only another 5 years left being at his peak. Basically, he's outgrown us for where we are now.

Very balanced and rational post. Ultimately the timing of our renaissance just wasn't ideal for his age but could be for young talents like Chukwuemeka, Barry, Ramsey etc. If NSWE had been our owners for the past 8 years instead of the last 3 years, things may have been very different.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2412 on: August 06, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
Agents will talk about their clients' release clause figures all the time, I don't think it is meant to be a guarded secret.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2413 on: August 06, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
I'd like to get to a position where our captain doesn't move to man city.

Barry
(Milner?)
Delph
Grealish

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2414 on: August 06, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »
Absolute guesswork on my part but I can see Liverpool and Spurs sniffing around Watkins, possibly as soon as January.  Obviously we reject their advances but if Watkins wobbles and they offer stupid money (£85m+) we already have a decent insurance policy with Ings so the impact will not be as bad.

Except the impact would be to further reinforce our current 'selling club' image and further dampen any notions we might have of breaking into the CL 'elite'.  If we keep selling our better players (in yoru example, to a direct rival) we will never progress to where we want to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal