collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Clampy
[Today at 07:39:53 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The high line.  (Read 13561 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: The high line.
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »
The high block/low block stuff isn't really relevant because that's not how we defend, we're not passive anywhere on the pitch but we're also not charging in to press. Instead what we do is compress the pitch down into as small a space as possible so we can get our 3 lines all very close together and then we block passing lanes and reduce the options teams have. We then control where teams are playing against us and we shift things about to make that be into areas where they don't want to play. So Brighton we took away the option to play out to the wings and made them play straight balls into midfield where we could outnumber them and win it back.

It's all about dominating the game but we do it in a way where we don't need to have the ball.
That's why I chose the phrase "mid block." Why not utilise that as well? Surely you can agree with me there?

However, the additional description and insightful knowledge you have provided is bang on. I was already aware, but your writings are accurate to help the wider audience. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you have expressed there. It's good descriptive information, and I like to see more posts like this on the main page of the discussion boards.

I can't always write as well, so I just wanted to say thank you for making your post and it's exactly how I understood the Brighton match but would not be able to word like you have.
Excellent insights!

The reason I don't like the 'block' terminology is that it implies areas of the pitch where the team is active or passive in defence and that's not really what we're doing. We're passive where we don't think there's danger or value in pressing but it's about opposition players and tactics more than about areas of the pitch.

If teams distribute from their centre backs Watkins and Diaby press much more and Luiz goes into the gap so we have a 4312 defensive shape, if teams try to overload out wide we drop into a 442 that at times even becomes a 6211 so we can close the gaps between the fullbacks and centre backs but it's always designed to stop them playing in the channels that they like to use. This is why how we prepare is so important because we don't have a 'default' defensive system, it's all about trying to stifle the oppositions strengths.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
I keep thinking we'll get caught out more with the high line, it doesn't seem that complicated to me for 2-3 players to stagger their runs to beat it.

But one huge thing in our favour is that if a team does get through we have, in my opinion, the very best keeper in the world at one-on-ones, so even when a team does spring our trap, I'm still pretty relaxed as I think the chances are Emi's going to save it anyway.

It tickles me pink watching from close to the halfway line as forwards bounce sideways along our back line like they're running into an invisible forcefield!

Offline caster troy

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2023, 03:20:08 PM »
There's a picture doing the rounds showing the defensive line for a free kick against Luton and it is incredible to see the coordination of the players, not just in making a solid line but also in the identical body positions at the same moment. The players are exceptionally well drilled, to a level I don't think I've ever seen from a Villa team before.

On the two occasions where it hasn't seemed to work (Newcastle and Liverpool) we'd lost a centre back to injury during the match with the replacements having had limited playing time with us in this system. It's fair to say those were mitigating circumstances. The counter argument would be that those were two teams from the top four last year and even Emery has acknowledged that we need to improve against teams of that level. It's going to be interesting to see how we get on defending against Man City and Arsenal having learned from those two games.

Hang it in the Louvre.

Thanks! The more I see it the more impressed I am.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2023, 04:10:44 PM »
It needs some VAR lines to be make it a modern day classic.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2023, 05:07:08 PM »
... The 4 teams that concede the most through balls Luton 32 Villa 29 . Burnley and Sheff Utd 27
So it's the 3 promoted clubs , arguably the 3 weakest teams and defences and players who struggle or allow pass and also Our Villa!
Clearly it's a high risk (2nd most conceded through balls) v high reward (caught opposition Offside the most ) in Villa strategy.
I think these data are misleading, and the reason is explained in paul_e's 'insights' (see below) i.e. (i) our defensive shape is not a fixed one; it varies according to opposition and circumstances; (ii) with a good forward press and a high line, teams are pretty much forced into trying 'through balls' to beat both.
I'd add that teams with excellent wing-plays have the best hope of breaking Villa's defence because they can get behind the high line (both N'castle and L'pool were able to play from their wingers).
The key data at the moment for Villa are the goals-scored and goals-conceded numbers: we are the highest conceders in the top 6 but also the joint-highest scorers. I do agree that it is a high risk v high reward approach; which is why people are currently enjoying watching Villa games.

If teams distribute from their centre backs Watkins and Diaby press much more and Luiz goes into the gap so we have a 4312 defensive shape, if teams try to overload out wide we drop into a 442 that at times even becomes a 6211 so we can close the gaps between the fullbacks and centre backs but it's always designed to stop them playing in the channels that they like to use. This is why how we prepare is so important because we don't have a 'default' defensive system, it's all about trying to stifle the oppositions strengths.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 05:10:42 PM by Mister E »

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2023, 05:58:16 PM »
There's a picture doing the rounds showing the defensive line for a free kick against Luton and it is incredible to see the coordination of the players, not just in making a solid line but also in the identical body positions at the same moment. The players are exceptionally well drilled, to a level I don't think I've ever seen from a Villa team before.

On the two occasions where it hasn't seemed to work (Newcastle and Liverpool) we'd lost a centre back to injury during the match with the replacements having had limited playing time with us in this system. It's fair to say those were mitigating circumstances. The counter argument would be that those were two teams from the top four last year and even Emery has acknowledged that we need to improve against teams of that level. It's going to be interesting to see how we get on defending against Man City and Arsenal having learned from those two games.

Hang it in the Louvre.

I saw this photo on Twitter next to that photo, saying “How far we’ve come”.

Made me chuckle. :)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2023, 06:46:07 PM »
Proper LOL.  Love that.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2023, 08:13:25 PM »
Would we be conceding as many if Mings hadn't gotten injured? You could probably add Ramsey to that too as he does a lot of defensive work on the left flank.

It is one aspect that I would like to see us improve on though. There must have been a few people pissed off with Konsa Sunday. Unbelievable that we didn't keep a clean sheet there.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2023, 09:14:25 AM »

Hang it in the Louvre.

I saw this photo on Twitter next to that photo, saying “How far we’ve come”.

Made me chuckle. :)

WTF is Hutton up to?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2023, 10:02:01 AM »
Ha ha, I have no idea but if a photo can summarise Aston Villa from around 2011 onwards it’s this.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2023, 10:08:35 AM »
Honestly that's amazing. The second photo has a kind of Guernica quality to it.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
Block!
Pace!
VAR lines
Villa dreams of passion
(Blowin' through my mind)
And other teams just can't get through
(Precise)
A sea-change in formation
(For us to align)
If one gets through we have Dibu
(Something of a phenomenon) Unai
(Buildin' our style and being strong)
(But, VAR lines blown away)
Go! Ollie! Go!
Tickets are rare
'Home or away'
Tell all your friends
Citeh can make way
Ball control, spray your goal
Doug Luiz
Costs more than gold
The longer we play
The more you pay
Increasing levels every day
Consistent at home
Imposing our game
With points to gain, funerallin' your brain
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Higher, Meatball
(Ahhh) Get higher, Meatball
And don't ever forget
Bouba!
Zaniolo and Boubacar!
Zaniolo and Boubacar
Zaniolo and Boubacar
Bailey Tielemans and Moussa
Calm and in control
(Connected to the fans)
And now we're havin' fun, Unai
(High line)
We're getting more and more
('Cause it makes us feel so fine)
I need some one-on-one, Bailey
(Don't let 'em take the ball away!)
Bailey!
(Just turn and put the ball away)
('Those VAR lines blown away)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:34:31 PM by Bad English »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2023, 10:48:38 AM »
Block!
Pace!
VAR lines
Villa dreams of passion
(Blowin' through my mind)
And other teams just can't get through
(Precise)
A sea-change in formation
(For us to align)
If one gets through we have Dibu
(Something of a phenomenon) Unai
(Buildin' our style and being strong)
(But, VAR lines blown away)
Go! Ollie! Go!
Tickets are rare
'Home or away'
Tell all your friends
Citeh can make way
Ball control, spray your goal
Doug Luiz
Costs more than gold
The longer we play
The more you pay
Increasing levels every day
Consistent at home
Imposing our game
With points to gain, funerallin' your brain
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Luiz
Rock
Higher, Meatball
And don't ever forget
Bouba!
Zaniolo and Boubacar!
Zaniolo and Boubacar
Zaniolo and Boubacar
Bailey Tielemans and Moussa
Calm and in control
(Connected to the fans)
And now we're havin' fun, Unai
(High line)
We're getting more and more
('Cause it makes us feel so fine)
I need some one-on-one, Bailey
(Don't let 'em take the ball away!)
Bailey!
(Just turn and put the ball away)
('Those VAR lines blown away)

Post of the Year for me. Chapeau BE chapeau.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2023, 11:03:44 AM »
Maaaaaaaate!

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
Maaaaaaaate!
Yeah, I know. Had to stop halfway through as I had forgotten it was so long and I knew it wasn't going to be a masterpiece anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal