collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The high line.  (Read 13566 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: The high line.
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2023, 03:55:17 PM »
First half the high line was a thing of beauty.
West ham players don't know how to deal with it and worked a treat Martinez made a great save from Bowen but it was totally irrelevant effort at goal as there was offside decision.

We continue to catch the opposition offside more than any other team in the league.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2023, 12:13:56 AM »
Aston Villa have caught opposition offside 42 times this season . More than any other club.
Fulham next best with 28.

The compression play is outfoxing our opponents time and again.
I think it's super clever!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2023, 08:57:34 AM »
Aston Villa have caught opposition offside 42 times this season . More than any other club.
Fulham next best with 28.
The compression play is outfoxing our opponents time and again.
I think it's super clever!
It's clever but shouldn't be a surprise since we were doing it last season post-Gerrard.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2023, 09:14:28 AM »
The jammy goals scored by Wham and Luton would have had Emi and Ezri seething. We could easily have had a couple more cleansheets.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2023, 09:29:08 AM »
I think it's the most daring tactic deployed by any team anywhere in the world right now. Arsenal fans might well be thinking, "we used to do that and yous all slagged us off for being boring", but this is way beyond that. I think a good measure of just how daring it is is the fact that nobody else is attempting to do it to the same extreme as us, despite how successful we're making it look.

And yet, we're still seeing teams trying to outwit it with a basic ball over the top. I know that is probably the best way to beat it, but the precision required in three elements simultaneously, the timing of the pass, the accuracy of the pass in both direction and weight, and the timing of the run, means that nobody really has.

And then you've got to beat Martinez.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2023, 09:46:21 AM »
I think it's the most daring tactic deployed by any team anywhere in the world right now. Arsenal fans might well be thinking, "we used to do that and yous all slagged us off for being boring", but this is way beyond that. I think a good measure of just how daring it is is the fact that nobody else is attempting to do it to the same extreme as us, despite how successful we're making it look.

And yet, we're still seeing teams trying to outwit it with a basic ball over the top. I know that is probably the best way to beat it, but the precision required in three elements simultaneously, the timing of the pass, the accuracy of the pass in both direction and weight, and the timing of the run, means that nobody really has.

The ammount of other fans I've seen saying "They play a high line, just stick it over the top" is funny, because it's clearly worked well for everyone so far.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2023, 10:19:13 AM »

The ammount of other fans I've seen saying "They play a high line, just stick it over the top" is funny, because it's clearly worked well for everyone so far.
These other fans do have a point but that's the daring nature of Emerys way.
Some insight on the high line we play.
If I explain. So other high line teams, such as Liverpool, vary from us in that they typically press from all over. And high . Certainly in general higher than us!

So my observation is Villa more mid rather than low block or high press and to get through the foundations an opponent's pass needs to be 100% accurate.
So at elite level the top players and teams are able to do this and the stats indicate we do get broken and are vulnerable.

Because of this Villa mid block with a high line we have given up numerous through balls and balls over the top there is a chance to be caught out. Really, there aren't that many-actually only Luton- who have conceded more this season.
The 4 teams that concede the most through balls Luton 32 Villa 29 . Burnley and Sheff Utd 27
So it's the 3 promoted clubs , arguably the 3 weakest teams and defences and players who struggle or allow pass and also Our Villa!

Clearly it's a high risk (2nd most conceded through balls) v high reward (caught opposition Offside the most ) in Villa strategy.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:26:20 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2023, 10:52:33 AM »
I keep thinking we'll get caught out more with the high line, it doesn't seem that complicated to me for 2-3 players to stagger their runs to beat it.

But one huge thing in our favour is that if a team does get through we have, in my opinion, the very best keeper in the world at one-on-ones, so even when a team does spring our trap, I'm still pretty relaxed as I think the chances are Emi's going to save it anyway.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2023, 11:11:32 AM »
I keep thinking we'll get caught out more with the high line, it doesn't seem that complicated to me for 2-3 players to stagger their runs to beat it.

But one huge thing in our favour is that if a team does get through we have, in my opinion, the very best keeper in the world at one-on-ones, so even when a team does spring our trap, I'm still pretty relaxed as I think the chances are Emi's going to save it anyway.

He's also stepped up a level and embraced playing sweeper role.
The one and ones are a major strength, just his aura is a wow  but of course tremendous ability.
I think where he's had to adapt is leaving the penalty area to sweep
 I think he's very good and accurate reading the play and there's no way Emery wouldn't be leaving to chance so has ensured Martinez decision making is being tested and worked on with the coaches to refine those abilities. It's not a natural thing for Martinez so I can get concerned but generally he's done ok.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2023, 11:29:02 AM »
There's a picture doing the rounds showing the defensive line for a free kick against Luton and it is incredible to see the coordination of the players, not just in making a solid line but also in the identical body positions at the same moment. The players are exceptionally well drilled, to a level I don't think I've ever seen from a Villa team before.

On the two occasions where it hasn't seemed to work (Newcastle and Liverpool) we'd lost a centre back to injury during the match with the replacements having had limited playing time with us in this system. It's fair to say those were mitigating circumstances. The counter argument would be that those were two teams from the top four last year and even Emery has acknowledged that we need to improve against teams of that level. It's going to be interesting to see how we get on defending against Man City and Arsenal having learned from those two games.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2023, 11:32:45 AM »

He's also stepped up a level and embraced playing sweeper role.
The one and ones are a major strength, just his aura is a wow  but of course tremendous ability.
I think where he's had to adapt is leaving the penalty area to sweep
 I think he's very good and accurate reading the play and there's no way Emery wouldn't be leaving to chance so has ensured Martinez decision making is being tested and worked on with the coaches to refine those abilities. It's not a natural thing for Martinez so I can get concerned but generally he's done ok.
Agree Footy, his sweeping has improved massively.  It's got to be a very good ball to beat our high line but not be overhit so Martinez can easily sweep.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
The high block/low block stuff isn't really relevant because that's not how we defend, we're not passive anywhere on the pitch but we're also not charging in to press. Instead what we do is compress the pitch down into as small a space as possible so we can get our 3 lines all very close together and then we block passing lanes and reduce the options teams have. We then control where teams are playing against us and we shift things about to make that be into areas where they don't want to play. So Brighton we took away the option to play out to the wings and made them play straight balls into midfield where we could outnumber them and win it back.

It's all about dominating the game but we do it in a way where we don't need to have the ball.

Offline exigo

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2023, 01:23:33 PM »
There's a picture doing the rounds showing the defensive line for a free kick against Luton and it is incredible to see the coordination of the players, not just in making a solid line but also in the identical body positions at the same moment. The players are exceptionally well drilled, to a level I don't think I've ever seen from a Villa team before.

On the two occasions where it hasn't seemed to work (Newcastle and Liverpool) we'd lost a centre back to injury during the match with the replacements having had limited playing time with us in this system. It's fair to say those were mitigating circumstances. The counter argument would be that those were two teams from the top four last year and even Emery has acknowledged that we need to improve against teams of that level. It's going to be interesting to see how we get on defending against Man City and Arsenal having learned from those two games.

Hang it in the Louvre.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2023, 01:43:25 PM »
The high block/low block stuff isn't really relevant because that's not how we defend, we're not passive anywhere on the pitch but we're also not charging in to press. Instead what we do is compress the pitch down into as small a space as possible so we can get our 3 lines all very close together and then we block passing lanes and reduce the options teams have. We then control where teams are playing against us and we shift things about to make that be into areas where they don't want to play. So Brighton we took away the option to play out to the wings and made them play straight balls into midfield where we could outnumber them and win it back.

It's all about dominating the game but we do it in a way where we don't need to have the ball.
That's why I chose the phrase "mid block." Why not utilise that as well? Surely you can agree with me there?

However, the additional description and insightful knowledge you have provided is bang on. I was already aware, but your writings are accurate to help the wider audience. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you have expressed there. It's good descriptive information, and I like to see more posts like this on the main page of the discussion boards.

I can't always write as well, so I just wanted to say thank you for making your post and it's exactly how I understood the Brighton match but would not be able to word like you have.
Excellent insights!

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2023, 01:47:24 PM »

Hang it in the Louvre.

Thank you for this.
The pictorials are something also we could have more of on the discuss board main page. Imagery can paint a wonderful picture.
Certainly illustrates so well everything we have all been discussing.
This is really great and I for one will print this out!
Thanks !

More imagery please. Pictorials can really help!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal