collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The high line.  (Read 13541 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: The high line.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2023, 03:42:07 AM »
We get what we deserve from the media. If we become relevant they will pay us attention. If we threaten the status quo we will be patronized. If we start to win things we will get loads of attention. We should be careful what we wish for as it relates to being spoken about.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
Got the impression that Citeh were praised in last night's MOTD for their use of the high line.

Funny how pundits see us differently.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
When Cash is fit, we have 3 (with Mings & Moreno), that are very quick on their feet without the ball, add that to Emi being a sweeper-keeper, then you can see why our high line is well drilled & effective.

It also shows how Young has deputised so well in place of Cash.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »
I think it will get found out at times.  If a team has a wave of 2-3 runners staggering their runs it's very difficult to counter that if the player on the ball is quality and we give them time.  I agree with Wright, Son was absolutely dreadful.

It's a high risk strategy and at times we will need to rely on Martinez probably being the best keeper in the world at one on ones. 

I fear for us if we try t at Liverpool.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »
I think it will get found out at times.  If a team has a wave of 2-3 runners staggering their runs it's very difficult to counter that if the player on the ball is quality and we give them time.  I agree with Wright, Son was absolutely dreadful.

It's a high risk strategy and at times we will need to rely on Martinez probably being the best keeper in the world at one on ones. 

I'd love it if we rolled up next week barely moving from the edge of our box in a low block except to pick them off on the counter. I doubt it but it would be be both very funny and very impressive if we just switched to completely different tactics effectively.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »

I'd love it if we rolled up next week barely moving from the edge of our box in a low block except to pick them off on the counter. I doubt it but it would be be both very funny and very impressive if we just switched to completely different tactics effectively.
I think we probably will.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2023, 11:37:03 AM »
When Cash is fit, we have 3 (with Mings & Moreno), that are very quick on their feet without the ball, add that to Emi being a sweeper-keeper, then you can see why our high line is well drilled & effective.

Weirdly I reckon Konsa would be the quickest of the defenders in a flat race (which is why players struggle to dribble past him) but his rections let him down at times so he gets caught on his heels.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2023, 11:43:27 AM »

Weirdly I reckon Konsa would be the quickest of the defenders in a flat race (which is why players struggle to dribble past him) but his rections let him down at times so he gets caught on his heels.

He's been much, much better of late though, and you know he's playing well when he keeps getting between the attacker and the ball and slowing up to win a free kick. He does that as well as anyone I've seen.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2023, 11:52:18 AM »
MOTD took one component of the identity that Emery is developing and looked at it in isolation.

In addition...
- We play possession based football (and have 60%+ possession in most games). Something that will only improve as we recruit better plays.
- Press the opponent when they have the ball so that it's harder to pick out runs.
- Our back line is so well drilled that most opponents have known we play a high line but have failed to capitalise on it. One time it did happen recently, at Old Trafford, it came about because Martinez played a long ball that Casemiro got his head onto and Konsa didn't quite have his positioning right. I can imagine in the analysis afterwards, Emery would have pointed out that it was caused by playing the ball long, not winning the duel and Konsa's positioning.
- As others pointed to, Martinez has been alert and been able to act as sweeper/keeper. Then he's one of the best around (if not the best) at one-to-one's.
- Emery's tactical adaptability. If he was concerned about an opponent, he would adjust the tactics accordingly.

All this together is why teams struggle to break our offside trap.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:53:59 AM by OCD »

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2023, 11:58:45 AM »

He's been much, much better of late though, and you know he's playing well when he keeps getting between the attacker and the ball and slowing up to win a free kick. He does that as well as anyone I've seen.

I wonder if Konsa's noticeable improvement is due to Young's experience and adjacent positioning. Cash is good on the ball player often but his off the ball stuff has never been great

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2023, 12:00:38 PM »
We're very well coached doing it.

The odd team will work it out next season, plenty of teams won't.

Liverpool on Boxing day got through plenty of times but then we went to Spurs a few days later and completed nullified them. Four months later they couldn't do anything again.

I always remember Bolton randomly rocking up at VP for 2-3 years and parking their backline on halfway line and Young and Gabby used to run through it with ease. That was example of side not being coached properly in it as those were our easiest wins of the season.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2023, 01:11:28 PM »
We're very well coached doing it.

The odd team will work it out next season, plenty of teams won't.

Liverpool on Boxing day got through plenty of times but then we went to Spurs a few days later and completed nullified them. Four months later they couldn't do anything again.

I always remember Bolton randomly rocking up at VP for 2-3 years and parking their backline on halfway line and Young and Gabby used to run through it with ease. That was example of side not being coached properly in it as those were our easiest wins of the season.

Yeah that was post Big Sam - 4-1 and 5-1 I think

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2023, 01:29:42 PM »

Konsa does my head in  - he's great keeping up with and hassling players alongside him, but always seems to get left for dead with a through ball; could be, as pointed out, his reactions aren't great

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »
Gary Megson, manager of Bolton was no Unai Emery. In fact, he always reminded me of Toby, the hapless HR manager in The (US) Office. Neutered from birth.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2023, 09:41:02 PM »
We shall be preparing again to have a high line versus Liverpool and having seen how well its implemented and Martinez high quality in one and ones with his aura then bring it on!
It'll frustrate them immensely

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal