collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 24197 times)

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Brighton 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2022, 08:30:55 PM »
Found it. Put it in spoliers in case of offence:

Spoiler for "Warning, contains scenes of extreme middle class twattishness":
Think they thought it would be funny. But Jesus wept that so cringe

Come on guys, lighten up a bit.

It’s harmless, lighthearted  and quite funny, too

yep It didn’t make me laugh but no worries seems harmless jinx

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2022, 10:01:05 PM »
They are coming over all Norwich, few years in the top flight and think they're fucking Real Madrid.
Apart from a few thousand (not counting the ones that have jumped on the premier league bandwagon and only go cos they cant get tickets at Old Trafford, Anfield etc..) no one gives a shit about Brighton.

Norwich have sold out for years and attendance to capacity is always high.
Brighton aren't in their league as a club.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
On the Digne penalty shout, people are forgetting the “clear and obvious” element of VAR. They will have spoken to the ref, but if the ref tells them “there was contact, but I saw the defender play the ball first” then VAR will not recommend a review.  Because that’s what actually happened, Digne kicked him, but after kicking the ball first.

If you show all the video angles to 100 refs I bet 90 would give a penalty, but it’s not VAR’s job to award penalties, it’s their job to correct ref mistakes - mainly with things they’ve missed. But if the ref saw what actually happened, didn’t miss anything, and chose NOT to award a pen, then the on field decision stands.

I can remember a time when an indirect free kick would be given. This would have been based on the fact that there was no intent to foul. I recall Bruce Rioch scoring from of these at the Holte.

In terms of today's rules, it was likely a penalty.

I know what you mean, but again it's a VAR issue. It is applied with such little consistency that nobody knows what they're actually looking for.

"There was contact..." Well yes, but that isn't automatically a penalty, something commentators and pundits often forget.

I'm no referee, so anybody with more knowledge, of course feel free to correct me, but for me there are a few questions:

Was the Brighton player in control of the ball? No.

Was it intentional? No.

Was it dangerous play? No.

Was there a realistic way for Digne to avoid the contact? For me, no. He was in the middle of trying to clear the ball when the Brighton player threw himself in there, failed to win the ball and caught a piece of the movement that Digne had already biomechanically initiated and committed to.

It was a coming-together (Kenneth Williams meme), nothing more.
Biomechanically initiated!! Oooooohhh someone's swallowed a dictionary  ;)

Yeah it does sound like something the Terminator would say. Sorry about that!

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2022, 10:39:52 PM »
He has detailed files on human anatomy. It makes him a more efficient Villa.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2022, 01:00:57 AM »
I was thinking of moving to Brighton but now you lot are making me doubt myself.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2022, 01:10:40 AM »
10 years ago they were getting 7,000. They have no fans, they're just coastal Tarquins looking to watch a bit of football whilst it's fashionable. They're about as passionate as Jim Royal is about his missus. Whopper club and that's why they think a 50/50 was a brutal assualt that deserves a penalty. They've actually averaged 2,000 odd before, I could get that amount of people round my house to watch the neighbours have a row. I didn't realise what a fucking total tin pot part time hobby of a club they were.

They can fuck off and get shit housed by us all day and all night until they get relegated back to the 4th division and bus stop attendances again.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2022, 01:16:17 AM »
I've got no problem with Brighton, if it was the other way round we would probably be moaning. As one of only, perhaps, two teams in the league who might consider us a bogey side, they seem nice enough to me. Rubbish videos not withstanding.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2022, 02:30:40 AM »
I've usually a lot of time for Brighton. What happened with their owners, especially with the Goldstone ground, was disgraceful. It's a minor miracle the club survived. I'm not gonna knock a club pulling 2k when they were in division 4, playing 'home' games 70 miles away in Gillingham and the future of the club looked in doubt. Problem is, with the move to the new ground, and especially getting into the PL, they've got a raft of new fans turning up to games. And new fans are usually twats.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2022, 06:19:05 AM »
I thought the video was funny - they were obviously members of the ladies family

it was a lovely summers day in Brighton when the video was taken and it must have been for a match after Covid restart?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2022, 06:47:06 AM »
I've usually a lot of time for Brighton. What happened with their owners, especially with the Goldstone ground, was disgraceful. It's a minor miracle the club survived. I'm not gonna knock a club pulling 2k when they were in division 4, playing 'home' games 70 miles away in Gillingham and the future of the club looked in doubt. Problem is, with the move to the new ground, and especially getting into the PL, they've got a raft of new fans turning up to games. And new fans are usually twats.

New fans who have no doubt Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea replica shirts in the back of the wardrobe.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2022, 08:08:07 AM »
Found it. Put it in spoliers in case of offence:

Spoiler for "Warning, contains scenes of extreme middle class twattishness":
Think they thought it would be funny. But Jesus wept that so cringe

Don't want to be too mean as there are kids involved, but...golly. 'What are you dressing up as this year?' 'Well we're going as a family, as the proles'.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2022, 08:30:40 AM »
I've got no problem with Brighton, if it was the other way round we would probably be moaning. As one of only, perhaps, two teams in the league who might consider us a bogey side, they seem nice enough to me. Rubbish videos not withstanding.

The last time I was home was four years ago, I saw the 5-5 against Forest, it was on my birthday.  As a gift from my daughter we did the guided tour of Villa Park.  Part of the group contained a young couple who were Brighton fans, the lad was a steward down there.  They were amazed by the size and facilities of VP and were very complimentary about us (Villa) and said what Brighton had could not compare.  I liked them.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2022, 08:51:38 AM »
He has detailed files on human anatomy. It makes him a more efficient Villa.

Superb.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2022, 06:25:34 PM »
Some clown who's written the report in the Daily Mail (don't worry, I didn't buy it) reckons that McGinn shouldn't have been a pen.

"before falling over the sliding tackle of Dunk, he was already going over"

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
It was nice to get an ugly win. You get the impression that we might not be such a pushover under Emery. The table looks better before the break & we get time to have the manager work the players into his system. As for the game controversy’s, the penalty was as much as a penalty as the 2-1 loss we had against them in 2020. Either way, it evened itself out. And after all, isn’t that we get told after every incorrect decision? Charrager having a whinge about time wasting & the penalty incident was amusing. It’s almost as if he was upset that his mate had just been rightfully sacked… But it is typical of the media in the country. Too many agendas because their mates are in the job. The fact that he slated us for time wasting, despite the fact that he used to do it himself as a player, & when Liverpool do it it’s called “game management”, shows that the media do not respect us. Which would make it all the sweeter if we do manage to get to the place the owners ambition is aimed at.

Some clown who's written the report in the Daily Mail (don't worry, I didn't buy it) reckons that McGinn shouldn't have been a pen.

"before falling over the sliding tackle of Dunk, he was already going over"
Standard media reaction to Villa. I had a bit of a bust up with Keith Hackett who is doing articles for a basement blog site & his anti Villa prejudice based purely on the snobbery that we are not London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool was clear to see in his reactions to what I wrote. As was his petty vindictiveness when challenged over his errors. I despised him as an official . I despise him even more as a “pundit”.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:31:16 PM by pablo_picasso »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal