collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 24645 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Brighton 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2022, 11:59:04 PM »
Hey, where’s @Flin5tone?

Hasn't been seen since the equaliser. He's not a troll, though.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
Hey, where’s @Flin5tone?

I don't know but I bet he's "fuming"!

He's on the shadow site on on the dark web where only damned souls can visit.

He sez:

It's a fuckin shambles and the owners are having a right giraffe.
The goalkeeper is a disgrace to football and it's no wonder the Arse wanted to get rid.
Ditto the manager.
No point build building a new stand, we should close several stands like Small Heath.
Public Transport in Birmingham is no good because Brummies are thick.
Ditto catering and hospitality.

The Circumlocution Office and Department of Trolls. 

Offline Villan82

« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2022, 12:18:36 AM »
Sobering up after a heavy day. Great to be on the move- Emery is the one

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2022, 12:23:10 AM »
On the Digne penalty shout, people are forgetting the “clear and obvious” element of VAR. They will have spoken to the ref, but if the ref tells them “there was contact, but I saw the defender play the ball first” then VAR will not recommend a review.  Because that’s what actually happened, Digne kicked him, but after kicking the ball first.

If you show all the video angles to 100 refs I bet 90 would give a penalty, but it’s not VAR’s job to award penalties, it’s their job to correct ref mistakes - mainly with things they’ve missed. But if the ref saw what actually happened, didn’t miss anything, and chose NOT to award a pen, then the on field decision stands.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2022, 12:28:14 AM »
A pity Emi's flying header didn't go in - it was quite sexy.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2022, 12:29:26 AM »
Would I like us to play from first whistle to last like the team of '77 reincarnate? Yes.

Am I happy to see us grind out 3 points away from home with a performance that ’17/18 Preston would've been proud of? Also yes.

17/18 Preston, huh?  A niche reference... care to elaborate? Or maybe Amfy will recall.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2022, 12:32:14 AM »
Just read some of the comments after the Guardian match report after being mentioned on here. Bloody hell, we were fouling all game and apparently we’ve played the same way when we had Smith and Gerrard in charge. I don’t think they like us, let’s hope a few more teams start feeling the same way as that’ll mean we’re getting good results and being successful.

Load of nonsense. Stat came up with 10 minutes left. Number of fouls at that time: Brighton 12 Villa 9.

After that was as cynical as it gets but that's what you have to do to win away games sometimes.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2022, 12:36:11 AM »
On the Digne penalty shout, people are forgetting the “clear and obvious” element of VAR. They will have spoken to the ref, but if the ref tells them “there was contact, but I saw the defender play the ball first” then VAR will not recommend a review.  Because that’s what actually happened, Digne kicked him, but after kicking the ball first.

If you show all the video angles to 100 refs I bet 90 would give a penalty, but it’s not VAR’s job to award penalties, it’s their job to correct ref mistakes - mainly with things they’ve missed. But if the ref saw what actually happened, didn’t miss anything, and chose NOT to award a pen, then the on field decision stands.

I can remember a time when an indirect free kick would be given. This would have been based on the fact that there was no intent to foul. I recall Bruce Rioch scoring from of these at the Holte.

In terms of today's rules, it was likely a penalty.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
We'd have wanted a penalty if that was the other way round. But it wasn't, so fuck 'em.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #204 on: November 14, 2022, 12:42:02 AM »
We'd have wanted a penalty if that was the other way round. But it wasn't, so fuck 'em.

That's the crux of the matter.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #205 on: November 14, 2022, 12:42:16 AM »
Give them the Pen and a chance of taking it against Emi, and we take back the first goal for the foul on Luiz. Seems fair.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2022, 01:06:02 AM »

I can remember a time when an indirect free kick would be given. This would have been based on the fact that there was no intent to foul. I recall Bruce Rioch scoring from of these at the Holte.

In terms of today's rules, it was likely a penalty.

I know what you mean, but again it's a VAR issue. It is applied with such little consistency that nobody knows what they're actually looking for.

"There was contact..." Well yes, but that isn't automatically a penalty, something commentators and pundits often forget.

I'm no referee, so anybody with more knowledge, of course feel free to correct me, but for me there are a few questions:

Was the Brighton player in control of the ball? No.

Was it intentional? No.

Was it dangerous play? No.

Was there a realistic way for Digne to avoid the contact? For me, no. He was in the middle of trying to clear the ball when the Brighton player threw himself in there, failed to win the ball and caught a piece of the movement that Digne had already biomechanically initiated and committed to.

It was a coming-together (Kenneth Williams meme), nothing more.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2022, 01:56:30 AM »
Streetwise win. That wasn’t pretty but it was smart and effective. Some incredible shithousery in the last 20 minutes but a fine change to be the architect for a change.

I counted three different formations in 90 minutes? What a difference a great coach makes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:13:33 AM by Matt C »

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2022, 05:55:10 AM »
Just read some of the comments after the Guardian match report after being mentioned on here. Bloody hell, we were fouling all game and apparently we’ve played the same way when we had Smith and Gerrard in charge. I don’t think they like us, let’s hope a few more teams start feeling the same way as that’ll mean we’re getting good results and being successful.

Load of nonsense. Stat came up with 10 minutes left. Number of fouls at that time: Brighton 12 Villa 9.

After that was as cynical as it gets but that's what you have to do to win away games sometimes.

Man city are the masters of it, yet pep is a genius.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »

Yeah. Final foul count was them 14, us 11. So their point is plain wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal