collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough  (Read 20513 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2022, 01:24:06 PM »
Ollie was really good all of that season, excellent if you consider where he'd been previously. Shame he's only showed it in odd flashes since. As i've said, i'd rest him now till the WC and give Archer a go.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2022, 02:52:34 PM »
Every single player was at their peak that night, special mention to McGinn, Grealish, Watkins and Barkley who really did run the show, pulled the strings and all those cliches.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »
The key name in there is Grealish....every player benefitted from playing with him, especially on that left side....Targett, Barkley, Watkins, McGinn all played closely to Grealish and were much better for it.
I maintain with the current lot....decent players, poor team.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2022, 04:12:45 PM »
Every single player was at their peak that night, special mention to McGinn, Grealish, Watkins and Barkley who really did run the show, pulled the strings and all those cliches.

Grealish really was unplayable that night. He humiliated TAA throughout, same for Watkins on Gomes. I'm not sure the two Liverpool defenders have fully recovered their confidence since. They were both equally as good at Arsenal soon after.

But he's long gone now and it's long past time for the names above to get their careers back on track without Grealish. They only need to look at that 🤡 Barkley to understand how quickly a career can go into free fall.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2022, 04:23:44 PM »
I wonder if we'd still be better playing behind closed doors.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2022, 12:05:51 AM »
Watkins was fantastic that night, not just his 3 goals but his pressing from the front and also exploiting their stupidly high line, that for some reason they stuck with all night. If we'd scored 10 or more that night it no one could have said it was undeserved.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2022, 12:38:49 AM »
It was night and day seeing Watkins up top at the start of that season rather than Wesley, Samatta or Kienon. Made a huge difference in terms of helping us get up the pitch and having pace on the break. I think it benefited Grealish in creating more space for him to operate in as the opposition defence knew that with Ollie, they couldn’t necessarily hold a high line without fear of him running in behind unlike Wesley and the others.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2023, 12:23:11 AM »
I would suggest most of these players are good enough - technically, physically, ability-wise for a midtable Premier League squad.  We have seen most of them perform at a high level on occasion.  We should not be a struggling club in this division, our squad is probably between 8th and 11th in terms of quality and strength in depth.

What they're not is consistent.  What is also questionable is their motivation and commitment to the cause.

Emery is a top class coach and manager, if they have a tune worth playing, he will get it out of them.

Just bumping this.  Any changes of opinion?

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2023, 12:53:50 AM »
Yep. I was convinced Ollie wasn’t good enough. Poor first touch , not converting chances. Whilst admiring his work rate, I had him in the “ not good enough“ list.

I’ve never been so happy to be wrong. Just shows what proper coaching does. And why I’m not a manager.

Hopefully I’ll be saying same about Bailey.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2023, 01:00:29 AM »
I can't see a future here for Danny Ings.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2023, 01:03:30 AM »
Think I said on here a few months ago Ollie would never fire us into European competition so some humble pie needs to be cooked up there!

Would've been happy to move on Konsa and McGinn start of the year aswell as I thought they'd reached their peaks at this level in 20/21 but again both are huge currently.

Maybe Bailey can be the new one to morph into another Dwight Yorke in six months time, here's hoping.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
Under the tutelage of 'El Maestro' there is no player who simply isn't good enough. 8)

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »
I can't see a future here for Danny Ings.

Made me chuckle.

I've said to a few people if you'd asked me even in January who our better striker is I would have ummed and ahhed about it. At that time I recall saying we needed someone with work rate of Watkins and finishing of Ings. Turns out Ollie can do it all.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »
Think I said on here a few months ago Ollie would never fire us into European competition so some humble pie needs to be cooked up there!

Would've been happy to move on Konsa and McGinn start of the year aswell as I thought they'd reached their peaks at this level in 20/21 but again both are huge currently.

Maybe Bailey can be the new one to morph into another Dwight Yorke in six months time, here's hoping.

That would be some morph. Unai is good but I don’t see how he can make Bailey run faster. He might give him some idea about wing play and beating his marker but that might be a stretch too far as well.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
Under the tutelage of 'El Maestro' there is no player who simply isn't good enough. 8)

Oh deary me 😂

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal